• Honda Accord.

Finalists for the 2008 North American Truck of the Year are:
  • Buick Enclave
  • Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid, and
  • Mazda CX-9.

My Take:
Cadillac CTS and Mazda CX-9

What is yours?

SOURCE (registration required, but not subscription)

#4 ·
I would like the Malibu and Enclave to win this year.
Next year, I'd like the new Fusion and new F150 to win.
Away goes the import domination
I don't see how the Malibu could win when it did in the form of the Saturn Aura last year. The fact that it made the short list is fantastic, but I see the CTS as the winner.
I can't see how the Enclave could be the CX-9, but maybe, who knows?

#5 ·
#10 ·
MKZ still looks fresh and definitely more upscale than either GM. Fusion seems mildly dated now.

Malibu and Aura do look somewhat similar, but I expect the Pontiac verssion to be more distintive.

I think CTS and the Tahoe Hybrid will win.

#12 ·
They only share doors.
Somehow, the MKZ has more differentiation from the Fusion than the GM twins though. Certainly on the interior.
I think this is because the Milan and Fusion share all side stampings (doors, quarter panels, and fenders). The MKZ has its own fender and quarter panel. All three share the same roof and glass, so they are bound to be virtually identical in profile. Fortunately, it's a very good profile.

#13 ·
The Malibu does not picture well at all. It has a good look in person, but I have yet to see a good picture of it.
This much is certain! I finally got to see one in person last week and I liked it very much. It does indeed look to be a much more expensive car. The interior has its points. Not fabulous, not lousy.

#15 ·
Malibu and Aura do look somewhat similar, but I expect the Pontiac verssion to be more distintive.
Huh? The "Pontiac version" has been out since 2005. It's called the G6. It was the first car on the LWB Epsilon I platform.

Pontiac will not be getting anymore FWD midsizers. The G6 (cousin to Aura and Malibu) will be going rear-wheel drive.

#16 ·
The greenhouse, doors, and wheel-arches (not the panels, just the arches) are all the same on all CD3 cars.

From the side the Fusion and MKZ look identical.

I responded to your incorrect statement that ALL the panels are shared.

That is simply not true.
The greenhouse is not a panel and the fenders are not shared either, although cost is reduced by not retooling the stamping completely, especially when few notice or care.

#17 ·
The Malibu does not picture well at all. It has a good look in person, but I have yet to see a good picture of it. It seems like a solid choice, but I think the Accord and it's wierd styling is a better choice for that award. Especially when you compare 4-cyl models.
Wingsnut, if you had seen a malibu, in real life, especially in LTZ form, it puts the MKZ to shame. It does look like a $40,000.00 vehicle.
The detail on the car is simply Amazing for this class. It looks hotter outside than the Lexus ES.
The inside falls short only on the center console and door panels. If GM had done leather stiching on the doors and offered an intergrated Radio and Navigation not "insert Radio here" this thing would best the Acura TL and Lexus ES. I know here we are Ford Fans here, but do not for one moment underestimate just how good the Malibu is. Its not there by mistake.

#18 ·
I responded to your incorrect statement that ALL the panels are shared.

That is simply not true.
The greenhouse is not a panel and the fenders are not shared either, although cost is reduced by not retooling the stamping completely, especially when few notice or care.
Well let me reword my original statement:

The Fusion and MKZ share nearly all the same stampings. The greenhouse, doors, and fender-flares.

When the stamping is the same (just a different cut-out for the lights), it is basically the same panel.

I also hope Ford does not share the same "...few notice or care" sentiments about having unique body work on their luxury cars. I'm not knocking the MKZ, it is an excellent car, but it needs to be more differentiated from the Fusion. It is much like the Cadillac BLS. Thank God that thing is never coming to America in it's current form.

#19 ·
Mowog, if you had seen a malibu, in real life, especially in LTZ form, it puts the MKZ to shame. It does look like a $40,000.00 vehicle.
Dream on, my friend. But don't get carried away.
The detail on the car is simply Amazing for this class. It looks hotter outside than the Lexus ES.
That would be true if, and only if, you consider the Lexus ES to be a hot car. Which IMHO it isn't.

#20 ·
Dream on, my friend. But don't get carried away.
Everyone that participated in the focus group for the 2008 Malibu wrote down on the "projected price" feedback that the car looked as if it cost $40,000.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how expensive it looks, but remember, those of us on these forums have far different opinions from your average car buyer.

#21 ·
"Hotter outside than the Lexus ES"
I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.

I think Ford changed in the front and back of the Fusion/MKZ enough to make a visual difference from the angles most people see them.

I never found the Aura to be that attractive or distinct, and Malibu may appear to more people, but I still don't like the front grill bar or the cobalt tail lights.

I also am starting to question my ability to judge a handsome interior, since most people are very impressed with it, and I just don't get it! It looks too much like the two-toned vinyl lobby furniture from the late seventies. It is in no way as good looking as the old 1950's interiors.

#22 ·
Here is my take on the malibu. I have spent some time in the car. This car looks hot, especially in the attention to detail. Especially outside in its LTZ trim.
There is little touches everywhere that make it more apealing than more expensive vehicles that attract same type of buyers like the dreaded ES. If you understood the typical ES buyer, you might see why the Malibu is a good comparison.
The interior center console is a dissapointment, becouse GM choose the corporate parts instead of going all the way. The Door panels and center console, I agree are the only places where GM fell short. They could have built a completely different intergrated center console, and offered Navigation and gotten 2 grand more for this car, and perhaps $32K for the LTZ version.

#23 ·
"Attention to details" and "nice little touches" may be appreciated more if either the Malibu or the Lexus ES were bold, or even fresh looking designs.

The Malibu is a 2008 model year car, and I don't see any design advantage over Fusion, Altima, Accord, or Mazda's new 6.

It does beat the Sonata, Sebring and Camry though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.