Ford Inside News banner

Autoblog: Cadillac PROVOQ at CES

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  nsap 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
Nice looking vehicle. But somehow, Art & Science seems old now, very old.
the Vue lines are clearly visible, but to call art and science old is just not fair. It looks good, and unique, but, Knowing you, you are bound to have something negative to say about GM. You seem to dislike them with a passion...
Does this means that it is going to be as overweighted as the VUE?
I hear they formed a diet squad at gm , which should take care of GM's overweight vehicles. They seem to acknowledge the problem....
NSAP probably knows more

These below are from GMi

#8 ·
the Vue lines are clearly visible, but to call art and science old is just not fair. It looks good, and unique, but, Knowing you, you are bound to have something negative to say about GM. You seem to dislike them with a passion...
Whatever . . . :rolleyes: I said it was a good looking vehicle, but it seems old. Why? (I can't believe I really need to explain this) because there is nothing new in it design wise. Is just one more concept in a long line of great looking concepts, but it is not surprising the way a concept car ought to be. Maybe it is because is so close to a production vehicle or maybe it is because A&S is getting old. Or maybe is both.
I hear they formed a diet squad at gm , which should take care of GM's overweight vehicles. They seem to acknowledge the problem....
NSAP probably knows more
For what he said last time the dieting squad was for the next gen. Being that excess of weight is blamed on safety I really don't see how they can loose a significant and meaningful amount of weight.

Is this BRX replacing the SRX, or is it aiming squarely at the MKX?

#9 ·
Whatever . . . :rolleyes: I said it was a good looking vehicle, but it seems old. Why? (I can't believe I really need to explain this) because there is nothing new in it design wise. Is just one more concept in a long line of great looking concepts, but it is not surprising the way a concept car ought to be. Maybe it is because is so close to a production vehicle or maybe it is because A&S is getting old. Or maybe is both.

For what he said last time the dieting squad was for the next gen. Being that excess of weight is blamed on safety I really don't see how they can loose a significant and meaningful amount of weight.

Is this BRX replacing the SRX, or is it aiming squarely at the MKX?
I think this might be the BRX, so its going to be a tad smaller than the MKX

#10 ·
Does this means that it is going to be as overweighted as the VUE?
No. They are not technically the same platform. The Vue is on a hybrid of Theta I and Theta II, whereas the BRX will be on a new full Theta II that actually utilizes some parts of Epsilion II. So nothing about the Vue's dynamics can suggest the dynamics of the BRX.

#13 ·
I wish GM had given the platform its own name.

This is a concept in the sense that the 2006 NAIAS MKS was a concept. The sheetmetal in these photos are probably "frozen" and the tooling complete. The grille/ lamps/facias are probably show pieces and simpler designs are set for producton. The interior is probably set too, as far as the structures are concerned. Some of the trim and perhaps the elaborate lighting will be toned down. The front seats are stock CTS.

Marketing will say that this is NOT a replacement for the SRX. It is nothing like the SRX in size or performance. But in reality, it will take the place of the SRX and will be in showrooms at about the time the SRX dies. The new CTS wagon will be available soon after this vehicle, for those who want a lower slung, RWD, performance oriented wagon. And it is this that should be considered the replacement for SRX.

The Cadillac line up will look something like this in about 24 months:

CTS
CTS Coupe
CTS Wagon
BRX (if that is what this vehicle will be called)
The combined STS/DTS replacement.
Escalade and its variants

Plus the new entry level car currently referred to as the "Alpha" platform car.

The CTS is said to have "significant upgrades" coming in 2010 as well. What these are, I don't know. The cancellation of the new V8 that was supposed to be part of those upgrades makes me wonder. I'm hoping a 2 mode system can be fitted.

All of these should be in production, or nearly so, by early 2010.

#15 ·

This is what the BRX is going aganist. The interior just cannot be cheapened
It should be noted that, while the bare-bones of the Provoq interior are the same as the BRX, the materials and notably the center stack are different. Personally I like the BRX over the Provoq interior (judging by what I have heard on the BRX).

Nonetheless, a CTS-like execution on the interior of the BRX has taken place. That much I can promise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.