Ford, GM, Chryler & Diesels [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford, GM, Chryler & Diesels

Mbukukanyau
01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
:( I am of the opinion that our boys are missing the diesel boat.
There is no American diesel racer, nor an American oil burning sedan. Not even Volvo and Saab that are low volume enough for Detroit to test the waters with.
In my opinion this is a big mistake by detroit. They should be working to be on the cutting edge of diesels as they pursue hydrogen and two mode hybrids and 10 speed, plus cvts..

ndwariga
01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
It seems like Honda will be the first to bring 4 banger diesels from Japan. With some insane MPG of something like 65MPG, it makes Hybrid all but irrelevant, especially since the cost is about the same or lower

1931Chevy
01-31-2008, 12:22 AM
I think they have the engines that have been proven in Europe but the real question is, will people open their wallets for them since they will cost some extra money over the petrol ones and diesel in a lot of areas has higher price than premium? I would be willing to buy one since I could make my own biodiesel but what about the rest

jaybird36
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I love the idea of a diesel car but besides Meijer, the only place around me that sell diesel is near the highway and that's not close to my house.

ndwariga
03-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I love the idea of a diesel car but besides Meijer, the only place around me that sell diesel is near the highway and that's not close to my house.
you really do not need that many diesel stations. After all, you go very far on one tank

wingsnut
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Diesels are not the panacea some of you believe them to be.
They are noisy, stinky, expensive and spew particulates.

Other technologies are closing the gap between fuel savings advantage as well. An EcoBoosted engine is one of those technologies.

I imagine that a torquey I4 EcoBoost in a Fusion will beat an Accord in smoothness and NVH, but will lag slightly in fuel economy, maybe by as much as 10mpg. But my guess is that an Accord Diesel will cost you much more, as it already costs more currently. You have to then weigh the advantages there.

megeebee
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
WINGSNUT is right. And besides what he mentions, add that diesels are more costly to build.

jaybird36
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
you really do not need that many diesel stations. After all, you go very far on one tank

Yes, but at some point you will have to fill it up. So if there are no stations that means taking a special trip out of the way. It's more a logistics situation than anything else. I live halfway between two highways - I-88 and I-55. I-55 is a heavy truck traffic road. Getting diesel down there is not a problem if I'm going that way. I-88(part of the wonderful Illinois Tollway) basically has no trucks and therefore none of the gas stations up that way have diesel. So depending on which highway I'm heading to could significantly change what I need to do to fuel up.

Furthermore, I take the train to work so most of my driving is done driving to the train station or taking my son to hockey, etc. I can go two weeks in my typical driving and not go near a gas station that has diesel.

ndwariga
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I still beleive its a mistake for Detroit to be left out of the Diesel bandwagon. Look what has happened when they were left out of other bandwagons..
They suck at small cars, Suck at Sedans, until recentely and now are mising out on the minivan and small truck market segments..
This is how a company dies, by giving away ground