Wings Are Clipped! GM Says There Will Be No Return Of The Flaming Chicken [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Wings Are Clipped! GM Says There Will Be No Return Of The Flaming Chicken

02-12-2008, 08:20 PM

GM Management has dropped a bomb on Buick/Pontiac/GMC Dealers when their desires for a return of the Pontiac Trans Am & Firebird were flatly refused.

For all the details including GMs rationale as to why we won't see the Flaming Chicken anytime soon...see the article below from my friends at Left Lane

No Trans Am planned for Pontiac
February 12th

Pontiac's return to General Motors' performance division may be underway with the upcoming launch of the G8, but the brand's performance revival could stall after the car's introduction. GM announced at a dealer meeting this week that stricter CAFE regulations has the Detroit-based automaker reconsidering Pontiac's future.

While Chevrolet dealers will soon get the all new Camaro, Pontiac dealers will not get a version of the car in the form of a Trans Am. Buick, Pontiac and GMC dealers which are usually housed under one roof were hoping to get a version of the Camaro to serve as a halo vehicle and drive traffic into dealerships.

Moreover, other Pontiac rear-wheel drive models have also been put on hold because of the new 35 mpg standard. "The plan is being tweaked because of the gas situation," Lynn Thompson, owner of Thompson Motor Sales in Springfield, Missouri, told Automotive News. "I hope they don't give up on performance because they don't have to. You can use four-cylinder engines to achieve incredible power."

GM has already announced that it will turn its focus to smaller, turbocharged engines and cross-town rival, Ford, is banking on its EcoBoost family of engines to provide improved fuel economy without sacrificing performance. But GM's planned 1.4L turbo engine is probably too small for a performance vehicle.

But despite the lack of a halo car, GM promised B-P-G dealers 12 new models or special edition vehicles over the next two years including the GMC Sierra Pro Grade. GM will also boost Buick Enclave production to 55,000 units annually, a 41% increase over planned production.

So...Buick/Pontiac/GMC will see twelve new special edition models...but what could they really do...besides a Buick Enclave Super...and maybe a GXP version of the Pontiac G5? We'll just have to see...but no question that many Pontiac dealers are cursing and dropping the F-bomb at GM for what they view as an obviously simple decision.

So...what do you think? Should the Pontiac Trans Am & Firebird be re-born or did GM make the right call. Or will we all be surprised when they do it anyway?

As Always...Stay Fabulous!

02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
The return of the Trans Am would be cool but I really don't care either way.

I have read a lot of rumors and speculation about Pontiac's future on other auto sites such as (GM Inside News) and this just makes it seem more likely that Pontiac's days are numbered. But who knows.

I would certainly hate to see GM kill such a legendary American Brand like Pontiac.

But I would much rather see Pontiac fade away into the sunset than Mercury.

02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I was never in favor of a Trans Am. Why dilute sales (I hope) of the new Camaro with another version at Pontiac? With the current situation at GM these days, the Firebird would have only been a nose-n-butt job on a Camaro. That is, historically, what a Firebird always was. But it's not 1969 anymore. Rebadging has become equated with Communist-led compulsary puppy killing. This makes defining Pontiac a bit more troublesome, I suspect. But on the other hand, I don't think a Firebird was ever seriously considered at GM anyway.

02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
There were never any solid plans to bring the Trans Am back. They were all just pipe dreams by die-hard fans. I'm thrilled they are not bringing it back. The GTO is enough. Actually, the Camaro is enough...

02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
...But I would much rather see Pontiac fade away into the sunset than Mercury.

< choir smilie>

I got a GM-brand-identities rant available (& suitable for framing ;))
"one" aspect I approve of is
1 avoiding a rebadge
2 not re-using the name Firebird ( < not exactly au courant/modern imho)
hope: Torana = TransAm ( a name I like)
3 this applies to my mixed feelings about resussitating-vs-cloning a new Cougar
(dare-chop available in very near future link (