Ford Inside News banner

I Spy: GM 'roadmap' from...

Tags
roadmap spy
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RG59061 
#1 ·
seeing as DuSpinnst is a member here (tho doesn't post nearly enuf ;))
figured it'd be ok* to re-post this from YouKnowWhere (link below),
just in case anyone wants to know whats up at & coming** at GM
DuSpinnst said:
LWB Zeta has been going to LGR ever since the UAW spilled the beans about what US plants got what. Hamtramack gets the Volt, and a few other cars.

Regarding ChevyRules comments you completely glazed over the fact that the Zeta SUT's are RWD. So for that market there are 3 choices on the table: RWD GMT-700 BOF, RWD Zeta Unibody, FWD Lambda Unibody.

As of right now GM is looking at the following (US Market):

(name) Denotes up in the air.

Micro:
(Beat)

Gamma II:
Saturn Corsa, Chevy Aveo

Delta II:
Chevy Cobalt, Chevy HHR, Saturn Astra, (Buick Skylark)

Epsilon II:
Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5 (LWB), Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala (LWB), Buick LaCrosse, Saturn Aura, (Pontiac G6)

Alpha:
BLS Replacement, (Pontiac G6)

Zeta:
Camaro, G8, (Low Volume RWD Chevy), (GMC Crewman), (Chevy Crewman), Lucerne Replacement (LWB), DTS/STS Replacement (LWB)

Sigma II:
CTS

Theta:
Equinox, Terrain, Vue

Theta-Epsilon (Theta Premium):
Buick CUV, BRX/Provoq, 9-4X

Lambda:
Traverse, Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, (Traverse SUT), (Acadia SUT)

Y-body:
Corvette, (XLR)

GMT-900:
As is today

GMT-700:
H3, H3 SUT, HX/H4, (Colorado), (Canyon)

GMT-360:
Dead

Kappa:
Solstice, Sky

N-Body:
Vibe

The Pontiac Wave and G5 may be retained for Canada, Mexico. Buick Skylark replaces G5 in US channel, and Buick LaCrosse replaces G6 in US channel. Since the G6 MAY not go Alpha, the backup plan is to reskin a Malibu for Pontiac to replace the G6 along with the LaCrosse in the US channel. That along with the aforementioned Zeta, Lambda, GMT-700 debacle are the most fluid in GM's line-up.

* actually, I asked permision
** from a RWD Chevy Speculation thread

#2 ·
Woah...so GM is looking at pulling the Pontiac G5 and the G6 from the US Market, moving two Buick's in to fill the void.

But the idea of reviving the ill-begotten Skylark badge...that concerns me. That would be as bad as using Cimmaron. Would America liven up to the notion of a Buick version of the Chevrolet Cobalt? I'm still not sure how that would work.

The possibility of a Pontiac Re-Badge of the Malibu if it doesn't move to the Alpha architecture would be interesting...but that does shoot the notion that Pontiac was moving exclusively Rear-Wheel Drive completely full of holes.

Thanks for the information...if you find similar info regarding Ford/Lincoln/Mercury...please don't hesitate to post.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#3 ·
A small modification to that.

The Alpha project has been sometimes referring to the G5. With today's announcements regarding the Firebird not coming back, but Pontiac getting a coupe I think it is safe to say Alpha and Epsilon II may both exist.

Epsilon II for Pontiac would be the G6 Sedan, while Alpha would be a G5 RWD Coupe and Convertible.

#4 ·
A small modification to that...
TY, DuSpinnst.
&
:) made ya post ;)

&
...Thanks for the information...if you find similar info regarding Ford/Lincoln/Mercury...please don't hesitate to post.
since I'm not an insider, so anything I learn is already on the web...
will do :)
OTOH, if an insider ever gives me confidential info (IF ONLY),
my keyboard is sealed ;)

#5 ·
So the G6 remains a mainstream sedan while the G5 becomes a coupe convertible on the Alpha platform? This souns like what Audi did with the A4 AND having the A5 be the new coupe

#6 ·
Also i think its a bad move to bring out a compact Buick, i thought as a turnaround plan that Pontiacs would be performance sporty oriented, and Buick was going to be "The new lexus"

#8 ·
My confusion is over the prospects of a compact Buick...

With GM originally wanting Buick to rival Lexus...would this compact Buick...hopefully not named Skylark...rival the Lexus IS series? That would be the only type of logic for a compact Buick.

And would it be possible that Buick would develop both the Sedan and Coupe versions from Pontiac?

Still though, it could be interesting.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.