Ford Inside News banner

AutoNews: Fkex: "Raising" The Roof

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jaybird36 
#1 ·
Ford "borrows" more than a design theme from Mini:

FINAL ASSEMBLY

Raising the roof (price)

Automotive News | March 10, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

Taking a page from the Mini Cooper playbook, Ford will let buyers of the Flex crossover choose the color of their vehicle's roof when it goes on sale this summer. With its long, flat roof and slab sides, the Flex looks as if it could be a beefy distant cousin of the Mini.

On the $18,700 Mini Cooper, there's no charge for the roof color choice of black, white or body color. Buyers of the $28,995 Flex can choose a roof in body color, white or silver — but those who pick white or silver will be relieved of the burden of carrying $395 in their wallets.

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...10/ANA06/803100332/1200/TOC&template=printart

See less See more
#2 ·
I spent some time looking at, touching and sitting in a final production Flex Limited recently. Here are my thoughts.

We have all dissected it's styling origins to death, and concluded in our minds that we either like it or dislike it based on the pics we have seen. But the pics don't tell you how upscale this thing feels. Just opening the door and entering it, you are greeted with Ford's carefully engineered new sounds. Sounds like the door chime or the door handle opening and door closing. The style immediately confronts you as being very familiar yet new, without over doing it. Everything is laid out perfectly and the materials are top drawer and even the smells are new and pleasant. Important since it stays with you for many months:)

The roominess you feel is very substantial, even compared to my Taurus X. It Feels big and it is. From the exterior alone I used to think that the proportions are a bit off, hence some people's dislike for the styling. But once inside, it all makes sense as a very efficiently packaged people mover that will have wagon or car-like driving feel -- instead of that minivan or tallish SUV feel. This was a limited model, and it had every option and ultra competitive in this class.

The 6-panel roof was so nice and since it was outdoors on a sunny day, I really got to get the feel for it's spaciousness and brightness. I moved to the second row and realized again the super easy ingress/egress feeling along with far more leg, shoulder and head room than my X. Limo-like leg room they call it, but wow was that nice. At 6' I had to reach forward a lot just to touch the front seats. The features are also plentiful and we all know them by now. Getting into the 3rd row, I immediately recognized my favorite Taurus X feature, the door jamb mounted quick release button the you can do with one kid in one hand. It lifts and flips the 2nd row seat and offers an even bigger space to enter what is easily the biggest and most comfortable 3rd row in it's class - which seems to be redfined here. I have owned several minivans and loved their spaciousness and utility, but was never thrilled about driving them. Tailgating at a sporting event always felt less than masculine too. I understand this Flex to drive better than my X, which I love. It should have very similar performance due to only a slight increase in weight, but my X always fetl pletiful. It sits about the same height, which is slightly more than a Taurus, but seems much taller and that is all headroom. Compared to my X it is far quieter through engineering and materials, smoother with a longer wheelbase and updated chassis/suspension, better NVH, similar FE which is impressive for such a large people mover, and all for only a slight premium in cost to the X for more features and vehicle overall.

I can't wait to spend some time behind the wheel. I am confident that Ford will sell plenty of these, but they need to market it as a peoplemover/minivan replacement. The only thing you would be missing from any other minivan is the power sliding side door. I am sure that will hinder some sales, but the lack of it alone screams minivan for some who don't want it...sooo..... THat is not a problem for myself. My kids love to sit in the 3rd row anyway, which is actually nice, and they love climbing in through the power tailgate anyway. But that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.