Jaguar bid worries Tata shareholders [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Jaguar bid worries Tata shareholders

1931Chevy
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Tata Motors Ltd.'s pursuit of Ford Motor Co.'s Jaguar and Land Rover luxury units spurred A.S. Thiyaga Rajan to sell 99 percent of his shares in India's biggest truckmaker. He isn't alone in dumping the stock.

The Mumbai-based company is down 11 percent since Jan. 3, when it was named Ford's preferred bidder. Holders such as Alliance Bernstein Japan Ltd. and Waddell & Reed Financial Inc. sold their stakes after the overture for U.K.-based Jaguar and Land Rover was reported in July.

Investors are complaining that Tata Motors may not be able to spend enough in India, the second-fastest-growing major auto market behind China. The company should focus on the $2,500 Nano microcar, not $100,000 Jaguars, said Rajan, who manages $250 million at Singapore-based Aquarius Investment Advisors Pte.

continue at the link (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080221/AUTO01/802210430)

ndwariga
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
What is the pension system like? Would Tata take on its former colonial masters pension?

1931Chevy
02-22-2008, 08:49 PM
If Im correct LR is sold around the globe and Jag too, I dont buy this but why do I think that Fiat is behind all this, if Tata sees that this dont work maybe Fiat will agree to get Jag out of their hands

Ratan Tata, 70, chairman of parent Tata Group, rejects suggestions that Tata Motors is overreaching by adding luxury brands to pair with the Nano, the world's cheapest car.

"We're not trying to be a global player," he told reporters in New Delhi Jan. 10 after unveiling the Nano, which will be built in a new plant costing 10 billion rupees ($249 million). "We will grow internationally in select markets."

and this other quote might mean that this is do or die for Jag

"If the acquisition doesn't fit well with Tata Motors, the cost of shutting it down would be close to $5 billion,"

RG59061
02-23-2008, 11:03 AM
If Im correct LR is sold around the globe and Jag too, I dont buy this but why do I think that Fiat is behind all this, if Tata sees that this dont work maybe Fiat will agree to get Jag out of their hands

and this other quote might mean that this is do or die for Jag

Tata claims that they are not trying to be a global player...but they are expecting to export the Nano to Europe in roughly Four-Years...and Asia could easily be next.

So then why acquire Land Rover, which makes SUVs that are just as pricey as a Jaguar and which both sell globally, if they "Don't plan on being a global player"?

Is anyone familiar with the old robot phrase..."Does Not Compute!"

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061