Mazda’s SISS, Sassy Stop/Start System [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Mazda’s SISS, Sassy Stop/Start System

09-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Mazda’s SISS, Sassy Stop/Start System

Mazda's joining the stop-start club with a new system that uses a trick approach to give its application better fuel economy and usability.

Mazda's Smart Idle Stop System (SISS) astounds engineers by throwing out the starter motor. In concert with Mazda's Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) technology, and some brainiac engine management and sensing technology, Mazda engineers seem to have rendereed Charles Kettering's solution to the hand-crank obsolete.

When the driver of a SISS-equipped Mazda comes to a halt, the engine shuts itself down while arranging pistons strategically within their four cycles. When said driver asks for acceleration again, direct injectors, spark plugs, and perfectly-placed-pistons (wow, this alliteration is fun) get things firing again, with no need for any of that annoying grinding away at the flywheel. Mazda claims the system is both quicker to react (starting in 0.35 seconds) than a traditional starter and improves fuel economy in urban stop-and-go driving by a significant 10 percent. Mazda plans to introduce this feature sometime in the 2009 model year. We're not sure which vehicle will get it first, but the 2009 Mazda6 shown here seems like a very likely candidate.

Like Apple stock shares, direction injection's dividends just keep rolling in. Budding car enthusiasts are already inquiring, "Daddy, what's a carburetor for?"--

09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I like my Tahoe system. I can start if from a far in the summer to cool the car while I am still packing bags and toys for the Kids.

09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Your remote starter in your Tahoe is not even close the technology being discussed in this thread.I know what they are saying though, I am not a very technical person. They are saying that software will trigger events that will fire up the internal combustion engine without a starter motor.
That still does not address the pre-start before you come to the car advantage of my truck