MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers

Mbukukanyau
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/07mkslive_0054_opt.jpg (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/la-2007-lincoln-mks/488592/)

Despite the fact that Lincoln's first unique-looking car since the LS bowed for the 2000 model year isn’t due to arrive at dealerships until the end of the month, Lincoln dealers from across the country already pre-sold 8,600 MKS sedans. The new car is expected to be a make-it or break-it vehicle for the luxury brand, which recently only had what many see as dressed-up, more costly Ford products to sell.

"When you look at the Lincolns they have today and what this car represents, there's no question it's a game-changer," said analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc in a Detroit News report. Part of the reason the car is selling already has to do with Ford's marketing of the vehicle. At last November's Los Angeles auto show, the automaker laid out its cards on the table, announcing the cost of the base car, at about $38,000, and the pricing of its options. More recently, the MKS made stops at over 300 of the biggest Lincoln dealership to train sales staff and tantalize customers.
The new flagship will also have the difficult mission of attracting younger customers, with Ford hoping to lower the average age of the current flagship buyer, at 72 for the Town Car, to 45 for the MKS. Helping the cause is a high level of technology and content, including the Microsoft-developed Sync multimedia connectivity system, a keyless entry system, and available all-wheel drive system.
Based on the same platform as the Ford Taurus, the MKS will not bear any resemblance to other models in the Ford family. "Everything you can see, feel and touch is unique to Lincoln," said IRN Inc. analyst Erich Merkle.
The flagship will not offer a V8 engine, instead making do with a 3.7-liter V6 that also does duty in the Mazda CX-9 SUV, where it makes 273hp. Some time next year, a twin-turbo version of the engine dubbed Ecotec mated to an all-wheel drive system should provide as much as 400 horsepower.

Leftlane.com (http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-takes-8600-orders-for-not-yet-launched-mks.html)

1931Chevy
06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
this is good news because this means that Ford has already sold almost a quarter of the projected sales for this car since they are shooting for about 36,000 units anually

megeebee
06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
this is good news because this means that Ford has already sold almost a quarter of the projected sales for this car since they are shooting for about 36,000 units anually

I was unaware Ford had made any predictions for the MKS. I'm sure they have their fingers crossed, so to speak, internally. But I can't remember Ford issuing any statement on the number they hope to sell.

I'm still of the opinion that, while it may have a lovely launch through the end of the year, the MKS will not do too well. But regardless, it is necessary for Lincoln to re-establish itself in the luxury car market. The MKS is certainly a credible place-holder until more vehicles can be produced.

wingsnut
06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
^
why don't you think it will sell well?

For $38K you get impressive luxury and quality and features and power.
Yes, I said power, as the smaller CTS has to step into it's price range to match it, and then can't beat it's fuel economy, even though it is smaller.
Luxury to many customers does not mean doing well at a track. This Lincoln is sure to crush the CTS and DTS in NVH and a smooth ride - because Ford had HUGE targets for that. But yes, I am sure the CTS could beat it at Nurburg. Trouble is, few people actually drive that track or care to ...in a luxury sedan.

megeebee
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
^
why don't you think it will sell well?

For $38K you get impressive luxury and quality and features and power.
Yes, I said power, as the smaller CTS has to step into it's price range to match it, and then can't beat it's fuel economy, even though it is smaller.
Luxury to many customers does not mean doing well at a track. This Lincoln is sure to crush the CTS and DTS in NVH and a smooth ride - because Ford had HUGE targets for that. But yes, I am sure the CTS could beat it at Nurburg. Trouble is, few people actually drive that track or care to ...in a luxury sedan.

Its "been-there-done-that" design, and the fact that FWD luxury cars of any type have not been selling. Even the Lexus ES is down 20% this year.

Granted there is almost no competition from GM and none from Chrysler.

None of this is to say that the MKS is not a very good car. I'm sure that it is very well built and engineered. But the market into which it's being offered doesn't seem to like cars of this ilk.

I'm not one that thinks comparisons of the MKS and the CTS are valid. They are very different cars. Someone who likes the MKS and its attributes would probably not care for the CTS and vice-versa. The MKS will attract those who may like a Lucerne, DTS, and perhaps a few STS "intenders". Some have said that the Toyota Avalon was in Lincoln's sights with the MKS, but I don't agree. The Avalon is a far cheaper car.

And as much as some want to believe, the number of 5-Series or E Class admirers that will buy this Lincoln instead is very small indeed.

2b2
06-03-2008, 05:36 PM
said it before;
really believe the MKS is mostly a "white space"/"ocean blue" vehicle
ie a new segment all to itself
or
somewhat/perhaps
the Re-Creation of the personal Lux car
sorta like an Eldorado-for-the-21stCentury
with a whole Lot more practicality
or
as Ford says
"Guilt-Free Luxury"

^that^ also means I have no idea how well it will succeed

megeebee
06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
said it before;
or
somewhat/perhaps
or
as Ford says
"Guilt-Free Luxury"

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4493433/2/istockphoto_4493433_yellow_signs_drugs.jpg

wingsnut
06-04-2008, 04:13 AM
said it before;
or
somewhat/perhaps
or
as Ford says
"Guilt-Free Luxury"

I agree completely.
But I also feel that the any Cadillac or Lincoln will be compared by customers, as most of their customers don't differentiate between FWD and RWD. Just luxury and image and style, and the MKS has plenty of all that.

And just because the aging Art and Science theme still remains attractive and unique, does not remove the MKS from being a player. Again, the whole purpose of this thread is that it IS in fact a hit so far, with plenty of orders. So those who "think" it won't sell need not look farther than that fact.

megeebee
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
"a hit......plenty of orders"?

I "think" you're jumping the gun using the word "hit". An order is not the same thing as a sale. Even the more costly Jaguar XF had at least 10,000 pre-orders.

megeebee
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
An interesting piece from Automotive News:

Lincoln: 8,600 MKS orders

Automotive News | June 9, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

DETROIT Lincoln said it has more than 8,600 orders for its MKS sedan. About 3,500 of those are direct customer orders and the rest are from dealers. Shipments of the MKS are expected to begin this week. The front-wheel-drive version of the 2009 Lincoln MKS is priced at $38,465, including shipping. Lincoln is targeting annual sales of around 36,000 units.

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/ANA06/790063189/1200/TOC&template=printart

SobeSVT
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
An interesting piece from Automotive News:

Lincoln: 8,600 MKS orders
Automotive News | June 9, 2008 - 12:01 am EST
DETROIT Lincoln said it has more than 8,600 orders for its MKS sedan. About 3,500 of those are direct customer orders and the rest are from dealers. Shipments of the MKS are expected to begin this week. The front-wheel-drive version of the 2009 Lincoln MKS is priced at $38,465, including shipping. Lincoln is targeting annual sales of around 36,000 units.

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/ANA06/790063189/1200/TOC&template=printart
You have to wonder why the dealer placed all those orders.

I guess that without knowing how extraordinary (as opposed to regular business) this number of orders is, this debate is futile.

Megeebee as made clear for the longest time is extreme dislike for the MKS and as given his reasons. I think he is wrong, but that is just my opinion.

SobeSVT
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
There isn't a Lincoln dealer in North America who won't take as many as he can get right now. Same with Ford dealers and the Flex.

That's good to know, and I wouldn't expect anything less from these two great vehicles.

megeebee
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
With Lincoln sales off as much as they are, I'm sure they can hardly wait for something new to get folks into the showroom.

SobeSVT
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
With Lincoln sales off as much as they are, I'm sure they can hardly wait for something new to get folks into the showroom.
I guess you could say that without looking at the numbers. sales at Lincoln are off for three basic reasons, Town Car, Mark LT and Navigator. Or you could sum those three up into a big one: TRUCKS, which is not very different than what any other car company is facing right now.

Despite the dismal May results, the MKZ and the MKX are doing fine and are considered hot sellers, they are up 15% and 13.9% respectively from MY 2007.

I am sure that the Lincoln dealer network is much more excited for the MKS that they would have been in the car was another truck. also ad to that, that as much as you personally dislike the MS that car is generating some positive buzz out there, enough to make the dealer network hopeful.

wingsnut
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM

"Something new"

You mean like one product to fill the shoes of another that was stopped, like the TC?

I suspect that Lincoln should see similar success with their MKS as Caddy sees with their CTS - which is really their only selling product right now.

2b2
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
QUOTE=wingsnut;14430 "...I suspect that Lincoln should see similar success with their MKS as Caddy sees with their CTS - which is really their only selling product right now."...
...whereas LINCOLN also has the MKZ & MKX :D
which aren't far behind new-CTS numbers, about what old-CTS numbers were & since they'll both get MCE's:

22,103 Ytd2008 CTS
15,409 Ytd2007 CTS
16,025 Ytd2008 MKZ
15,320 Ytd2008 MKX
GM link (http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=45430), Fomoco link (http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28324)

^^ Thanks, Wings!!!
just realized Lincoln could pull ahead of Cadillac NextYear!!!

Mbukukanyau
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
QUOTE=wingsnut;14430 "...I suspect that Lincoln should see similar success with their MKS as Caddy sees with their CTS - which is really their only selling product right now."...
...whereas LINCOLN also has the MKZ & MKX :D
which aren't far behind new-CTS numbers, about what old-CTS numbers were & since they'll both get MCE's:

22,103 Ytd2008 CTS
15,409 Ytd2007 CTS
16,025 Ytd2008 MKZ
15,320 Ytd2008 MKX
GM link (http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=45430), Fomoco link (http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28324)

^^ Thanks, Wings!!!
just realized Lincoln could pull ahead of Cadillac NextYear!!!the two companies are so different, I do not think this is a legit comparo.
Even the Escalade might look the same, but when you add all the variants and price difference, you see Lincoln is almost going after GMC...
XLR, does not exist in Lincolns line up and the MKZ vs. CTS does not even beggin, consindering all the variants CTS is getting, including the V variants.
Cadillac is a very different division from Lincoln

2b2
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Sorry, Mbuku
I only meant the Lincoln could out-sell Cadillac next year
not that they are comparable model-by-model
nor in philosophy
nor in Return On Investment ;)

wingsnut
06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Their philosophies may be slightly different, but come on...people will still cross shop them all day long.

I have no doubt the MKS will sell well and bring some sales balance back to Lincoln while filling a product hole, but it is the freshened MKZ that will really do well. It is improved in every way, even with it's previously award winning interior. NVH is also greatly improved, even though it was impressive for it's class and fuel economy goes up too. The MKZ size is perfect in todays market and it varies greatly from the MKS (unlike Caddy with their 3 similar sizes) and that will surely help differentiate sales, and talk about value for both. Indeed, philosophies are different.

SobeSVT
06-11-2008, 07:28 AM
That would be funny. Cash strapped Lincoln overtaking Cadillac after the 6+ billion GM invested in Cadillac, philosophy and other consideration aside, that would be a major PR blow to GM.

megeebee
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
That would be funny. Cash strapped Lincoln overtaking Cadillac after the 6+ billion GM invested in Cadillac, philosophy and other consideration aside, that would be a major PR blow to GM.

There you go again.......
http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/imagecache/blog_image_full/files/fruganomics/blog-images/apples%20and%20oranges.jpg

Now that Ford no longer piles many times that 6 Billion figure into Jaguar, with less than fractional results, it's easier to say such things.

SobeSVT
06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
There you go again.......
Now that Ford no longer piles many times that 6 Billion figure into Jaguar, with less than fractional results, it's easier to say such things.
Maybe the 6 billion number has a unlucky effect on car companies, since Cadillac's fortunes hasn't been any better than those of Jaguar.

Luckily for Ford, it was much easier for them to get rid of Jaguar than it would ever be for GM to get rid of Cadillac. Not that Cadillac does to GM's bottom line any better than Jaguar ever did for Ford. At least they can play a Tata to Hummer, or worse . . . an Oldsmobile.

wingsnut
06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Would it not be easier for GM to control an outcome after a $6B investment in Caddy than it would for Ford and Jag?

;)

SobeSVT
06-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Would it not be easier for GM to control an outcome after a $6B investment in Caddy than it would for Ford and Jag?

;)

In theory . . . maybe.

I was wondering if the new CTS "return the favor" to all those blue haired little ladies that drive them down here in SoFla?

Those apples look awfully orange . . .

megeebee
06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe the 6 billion number has a unlucky effect on car companies, since Cadillac's fortunes hasn't been any better than those of Jaguar.

You do know how to push my buttons, don't you?

How can you say that???? You know better!

Jaguar's sales are off over 50% since 2002. Since then, Ford wired far in excess of $6 Billion to the phoney outfit so that Mr. Callums designs could fail further. And that's not including the purchase price. Cadillac sells more CTS's than the entire line of Jags. So far this year Jag has sold 7021 vehicles. The XF is doing well, for a Jag. Only 23 X types were sold in May a total of 382 all year. The XK has already lost its luster. Sales are off by nearly half over last year. The XJ has found but 1133 buyers all year.

Cadillac car sales are actually up so far this year (I note cars because Jag has no trucks) at 50,064 through the end of May 2008. Up from 46,946 in the same period last year.

Did you have a bad day?

ndwariga
06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I did not know the XK sales have tanked that badly. I do not like its old Buick La Crosse like grill though. Beutiful car otherwise

megeebee
06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I did not know the XK sales have tanked that badly. I do not like its old Buick La Crosse like grill though. Beutiful car otherwise

XK sales were 1307. Down from 2149 same period last year.

All these figures are from Automotive News Data Center, by the way.

(You mean "old-Taurus-style-grill", don't you?)

http://images.automotive.com/reviews/images/00fordtaurus.jpg

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-review/2007-jaguar-xk-coupe/1033841+w640+cr1+re0+ar1/2007-jaguar-xk-coupe.jpg

1931Chevy
06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
You do know how to push my buttons, don't you?

How can you say that???? You know better!

Jaguar's sales are off over 50% since 2002. Since then, Ford wired far in excess of $6 Billion to the phoney outfit so that Mr. Callums designs could fail further. And that's not including the purchase price. Cadillac sells more CTS's than the entire line of Jags. So far this year Jag has sold 7021 vehicles. The XF is doing well, for a Jag. Only 23 X types were sold in May a total of 382 all year. The XK has already lost its luster. Sales are off by nearly half over last year. The XJ has found but 1133 buyers all year.

Cadillac car sales are actually up so far this year (I note cars because Jag has no trucks) at 50,064 through the end of May 2008. Up over 46,946 in the same period last year.

Did you have a bad day?
my good man but remember that those Jag numbers are only for the US and not the global numbers

megeebee
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
my good man but remember that those Jag numbers are only for the US and not the global numbers

If you can find global numbers that show Jaguar has been successful in the past few years, please let me know.

MKII
07-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Just got back from a 3 week vacation in Ontario Canada and in my 3,000km (1,864 miles) of driving I was surprised not to see 1 MKS in my travels.
Most of my driving was on major highways in large metro areas such as Toronto and Ottawa.