Got over 30 mpg in Freestyle yesterday [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Got over 30 mpg in Freestyle yesterday

jaybird36
07-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Spent the day out at Starved Rock State Park yesterday, it was an amazingly beautiful day in and around Chicago.

First I was surpised when I found gas for $4.03 a gallon, compared to $4.25 around Chicago.

Then I was even more surprised on my drive home. I always reset my trip computer when I tank up. Now there was a very strong wind out of the west on our drive back. Also, I set the cruise control for 65 mph. Four people in the car, climate control was set to auto with an outside temp of 81. First time I checked the average mpg it was 30.4 as we got closer to getting off the highway it was at 30.6 mpg.

I have never been able to get this high of reading before. My previous high was about 29.8.

mchicha
07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
That is amazing for such a huge vehicle. What engine you got in it?

jaybird36
07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
It has the 3.0 Duratech with the CVT.

So many people said that it was under powered but I think it's perfect.

It's FWD also.

Tahoe
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Unless you are taking kids to a drag race, you really do not need any more power.
What is your thoughts on the CVT? I do not exactly know how they work. Is yours a mommy mobile?

igor
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
30 and even 33mpg is nothing unseen on the large Rd cars .. a little more common now with the D35, but also common on the old D30 cars

Igor

jaybird36
07-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Unless you are taking kids to a drag race, you really do not need any more power.
What is your thoughts on the CVT? I do not exactly know how they work. Is yours a mommy mobile?

I agree about the power. Half the time in Chicago you are just sitting in traffic so it really doesn't matter.

Driving the CVT took a little time to get use to. Because you don't feel any shifts you don't realize how fast you are really going. You press down the pedal and it just goes. I know that sounds silly and simple but it's true. I'm not a CVT expert, maybe wings could explain it better.

Here's a link a little more info on CVTs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Not a mommy mobile, it is my daily driver. I can fit my road bike in the back with the seats down and not have to take off my front tire and great for driving my son around for hockey.

jaybird36
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
On a recent trip to Carlisle, PA for the All Ford Nationals I drove a 2008 Sable front wheel drive. On the trip to PA, I set the cruise at about 75MPG and averaged 26.8 MPG with only two people in the car. On the way back to NY, I wasn't in a hurry so set the cruise at 64. The Sable averaged 30 on the return trip. I was amazed at the difference 10-12 MPH would make in this vehicle and also very pleased to be able to report 30 MPG in a full size car.

That's great mileage for such a roomy car. I totally agree about the change in speed. I typically drive over 70 on the highway to Michigan but I think going forward I will dial it back a little seeing as the little extra time it takes will be well spent in much better fuel economy.

How do you feel about the difference with the 3.5 compared to the 3.0 in the old model?

wingsnut
07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
My Taurus X trip computer never exceeded 27 on a trip to Chicago. I avg about 75mph though. I find over 30mpg nearly impossible to get to.

jaybird36
07-15-2008, 06:48 AM
My Taurus X trip computer never exceeded 27 on a trip to Chicago. I avg about 75mph though. I find over 30mpg nearly impossible to get to.

Do you have AWD or FWD wings?

Also, can you explain the interworkings of the CVT for us non-powertrain engineers.

2b2
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
...Also, can you explain the interworkings of the CVT for us non-powertrain engineers.

just in the interim
my non-engineer understanding is that in stead of steps(speeds) caused by different size gears connecting,
CVT's have cone-shaped thingies connected by a belt which gives smoothly/infinitely variable ratios

Tahoe
07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
When we were buying our lovely Tahoe, we looked at Nissans which had CVT and the moment the sales person mentioned belts in the gear box, my husband wanted non of it.

jaybird36
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks 2b2 and LMdealer for the information!

It's too bad they don't make them anymore.