Wagoner to follow Mulally's lead. He will also drive to DC. [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Wagoner to follow Mulally's lead. He will also drive to DC.

SobeSVT
12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
AP

GM says CEO will drive to Washington
Tuesday December 2, 10:30 am ET
GM grounds jet for Washington trip, says CEO will drive company car to appear before Congress

DETROIT (AP) -- This time, GM Chief Rick Wagoner will drive a company car to Washington instead of flying by corporate jet as he seeks a government bailout, a spokesman says.
Wagoner will drive in a Chevrolet Malibu hybrid sedan when he makes the 520-mile trek from Detroit to Capitol Hill, General Motors Corp. spokesman Tony Cervone said Tuesday.

Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally also is traveling by car from Detroit for his second appearance before two legislative committees as the Detroit automakers seek $25 billion in government loans. Chrysler LLC CEO Robert Nardelli will not travel by corporate jet. A spokeswoman says his travel plans will remain secret for security reasons.

All three executives are returning to Congress for hearings on Thursday and Friday. They are seeking the bailout loans to help them through the recession and the worst sales downturn in 25 years.

Lawmakers criticized the CEOs last month for traveling in separate private jets to seek the loans.

In Tuesday morning trading, GM shares rose 30 cents, or 6.5 percent, to $4.89. Ford shares also jumped 30 cents, or 12 percent, to $2.85 after the company submitted its restructuring plan to Congress. The plans include cancelling all 2009 bonuses for global management and North American workers.

Ford said it hopes to restructure the company without accessing government loans, but promised CEO Mulally would work for $1 per year if the automaker did access funds.

for more CLICK HERE (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081202/autos_ceo_travel.html?.v=4)

mchicha
12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
According to WSJGM's Mr. Wagoner plans to drive a Chevrolet Malibu hybrid to the hearings, while others in his group will travel in a Chevy Cobalt hybrid and a Buick Lucerne that can run on 85% ethanol, said a GM official. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817144031770385.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

I did not know they have a cobalt Hybrid, I know therei is a Vue 2 mode and a plug in slated for 2010.

MERCURYSABLE08
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
^ I didn't know know they had a Cobalt Hybrid either, the only thing I knew about was the Cobalt XFE. I think that must be a misprint.

If others in the GM are going to be driving a Buick some of the others in Mr. Mulally's group need to be driving Mercury's.

SobeSVT
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
^ I didn't know know they had a Cobalt Hybrid either, the only thing I knew about was the Cobalt XFE. I think that must be a misprint.

If others in the GM are going to be driving a Buick some of the others in Mr. Mulally's group need to be driving Mercury's.

I see your point but remember that GM doesn't share its corporate name with any of its divisions. At Ford, well, . . . FORD is the word. :D

MERCURYSABLE08
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I see your point but remember that GM doesn't share its corporate name with any of its divisions. At Ford, well, . . . FORD is the word. :D

Very true Sobe.

Tahoe
12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I for one do not see the evidence that Mulally was first to decide to drive to Washington. So, I think the headline is misleading.
I am however glad both of these chaps are driving to Washington. It’s great that they choose to do so. It is a very short drive though, only 500 or so miles, and it will take them like 10 hours? That sucks!!
I would say six should be more like it.
http://v.wordpress.com/UQoEBrUS

Tahoe
12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
So they should be driving over 83 MPH to DC without stopping? As awesome as they are, I don't believe that the Fords or GM vehicles have a 500 mile range, especially at 83+ MPH.
you got a point, I remember visiting the east coast and people there drive rather slowly. Here in Southern California, 80-90 is the avarage speed in light traffic..
About the range, I would imagine, these cars have better range than your ordinary gas hog.

SobeSVT
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I for one do not see the evidence that Mulally was first to decide to drive to Washington. So, I think the headline is misleading.

Maybe, instead of calling the headline misleading, you should review the news in chronological order.

On December 1st (monday), Ford announced that Mulally would be driving to DC, at that time, neither GM or Chrysler would say how their CEO would travel to the capital. It wasn't until Tuesday afternoon that GM anounced that Wagoner would . . . well, follow Mulally's lead and drive to DC as well.

I will post a note from a very liberal website that usually has nothing good to say about Detroit.

Ford CEO Mulally Will Make Bailout Trip To D.C. In A Car

December 1, 2008

When the Big Three automakers come back to Washington for hearings later this week on the proposed auto bailout, Ford CEO Alan Mulally will be making the more than eight-hour trip from Detroit to the Capitol by car, the company said today. The company won't say yet, however, what kind of car Mulally will take (a Ford F-150 pickup truck or a Ford Focus compact car?), whether he will be behind the wheel, or when he will arrive: "It depends on traffic," says a spokesperson.

The other automakers, General Motors and Chrysler, haven't yet said what the plans are for their top executives, but Ford's announcement will make it nearly impossible for them to fly to Washington without facing blistering criticism. A General Motors official said GM CEO Rick Wagoner will definitely not be using the company's airplane, but did not offer an alternative transportation plan, whether commercial jet, train, or car.

LINK (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/01/ford-ceo-mulally-will-mak_n_147523.html)

Maybe what is really misleading is the way you process the news. :p