Ford Inside News banner

Leftlanenews: GM to sell or close Saab by March?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  YellowZx5 
#1 ·
Leftlanenews

GM to sell or close Saab by March?

General Motors has apparently set a March deadline to have a final decision made on its struggling Saab unit. The Detroit-based automaker announced that it intends to perform a strategic review on the Swedish brand - which could include a sale or closure - as a part of its bid for low-interest loans from the United States government.

With the loans now secured pending further review in March, GM is forced to make a decision about Saab.
GM’s marketing chief, Mark LaNeve, has said that GM will announce “significant developments” in the sale of both Saab and Hummer by March, but a report from Børsen, a Danish news source, says that those developments mean that GM has given Saab three months to be sold - or it faces closure - according to Eric Geers, Global Communications Officer for Saab Automobile AB in Sweden.

for more CLICK HERE

#2 ·
although I don't see a place for Saab currently in the U.S.,
I don't understand how it could be closed globally...
...esp after the assistance pkg put together by the Swedish government.
Kind of wonder if this is just 'brave talk' to try and force some kind of international deal?

Seems to me like there are 'surplus' brands that just might equal a workable jigsaw-puzzle/new conglomerate. Don't know how the partnerships could play out
& think it'd make the Nissan-Renault we-own-eachother arrangement seem straight forward by comparison
but
for instance, doesn't a Saab-Mitsubishi-Chyrsler troika
(plus some kind of Dodge truck agreement with Carlos Ghosn)
sound like it could do better than these 3 have been doing lately???
(kinda re-creates my other Chrysler+Japan+Europe idea ...just with a different cast of characters)

#3 ·
although I don't see a place for Saab currently in the U.S.,
I don't understand how it could be closed globally...
...esp after the assistance pkg put together by the Swedish government.
Kind of wonder if this is just 'brave talk' to try and force some kind of international deal?

Seems to me like there are 'surplus' brands that just might equal a workable jigsaw-puzzle/new conglomerate. Don't know how the partnerships could play out
& think it'd make the Nissan-Renault we-own-eachother arrangement seem straight forward by comparison
but
for instance, doesn't a Saab-Mitsubishi-Chyrsler troika
(plus some kind of Dodge truck agreement with Carlos Ghosn)
sound like it could do better than these 3 have been doing lately???
(kinda re-creates my other Chrysler+Japan+Europe idea ...just with a different cast of characters)

Forget it...Chrysler is dead.... Saab is dead....and Mitsu is near dead, too...

#4 ·
What's Mitsubishi?? I think that auto manufacturer has been on life support and needs to just go under or maybe they should buy the has nots of the U.S. and fire their current designers and hire all new ones. Maybe after that, they will get new buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.