What should the new Compact Mercury be named? [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: What should the new Compact Mercury be named?

MERCURYSABLE08
10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
What nameplate should be graced upon Mercury's new compact car?

1. Tracer
2. Comet
3. Lynx
4. Mystique
5. Topaz
6. Meteor
7. Monarch
8. Other
9. A new nameplate

MERCURYSABLE08
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I like Lynx or Comet.

You forgot Bobcat on your list but I am not sure that it would rise to the top of my list.

I thought about putting Bobcat on the list but I don't think that, that nameplate would work so well in today's market.

YellowZx5
10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I like the Tracer nameplate.

emdee
10-15-2008, 12:58 AM
I think that nearly all the suggested names are poor choices. Most of them come from eras when Mercury had little credibility overall. Tracer was a Mazda. Meteor and Comet came from an era of obsession with the space age, but there was next to nothing very advanced about the cars that bore those names. I never could figure out what "Mystique" and "Topaz" were supposed to suggest and Monarch was silly overstatement. The most significant and respected name in recent Mercury history was Cougar and it ought to be revived. Beyond that and Milan, I vote for "other." The lack of any meaningful, catchy names might be one of the reasons the quality of today's Mercury cars so far outstrips their public recognition. A car's name should give some sense of what a car is about. Who knows what a Mercury stands for today? Don't get me wrong - I like the brand and the cars and want to see them survive.

Logans Run
10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Mercury Manhattan A small and stylish car to reflect the lifestyle of the city.

MERCURYSABLE08
10-15-2008, 05:55 AM

I kinda like it. It has a nice ring to it. But if I were in charge of naming it I believe I would call it the Mercury Crusader.

falcon lover
10-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I think there will be more than 1 little Mercurys in the near future. Maybe the less luxurious can be named Comet, and the luxurious version Monarch.
Whatever, the cars will come from Europe and cant keep the original names ( Focus, Focus coupe convertible,Fusion ( the mini-crossover, not america midsize sedan), S-Max ).

MERCURYSABLE08
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
I think there will be more than 1 little Mercurys in the near future. Maybe the less luxurious can be named Comet, and the luxurious version Monarch.

I agree that sounds like a good plan in my opinion.

SobeSVT
10-15-2008, 06:32 AM
I like it.

2b2
10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I would've voted for Comet, Lynx, Other, & New but settled for NEW
imho: No Reason some NewHeritage can't be thunk up :)

largely agree with emdee's analysis & will add

Meteor is a dangerous name considering we could get hit by one at any time ;)
like, wasn't there something that was going to be named Tsunami before a real one happened?

Comet imho should be the smallest Merc
which I believe will happen after the first C2 vehicle
(note: anything falling of Earth is a 'meteor'(ite), so 'comet' being more specialized is 'safer')

Lynx (just imho) sounds like a perfect name for a very-sporty crossover

& along ^that line, imho we don't know enough about the first small(er) Merc to really know what to name it yet
ex: with mega-super-duper-BAMR, Capri is THE name...

then
there's my perennial suggestion of Milanetto :D (Italian for little-Milan)
& XR3 for the most sporty version
(aside: imho any/most/some Mercury EcoBoosts should use XR as part of their name)

but
was just starting to looking at a Paris Autoshow gallery at an Italian site & noticed:
Parigi is Italian for Paris - think that might be good name :unsure:

actually kinda wish Ford didn't have that rule about vehicle names having to be real-words;
really like the made-up names of some JDM-ROTW Mazdas: Atenza Axela
however, even tho I DO like "M" names (& "C" names) would rather be less rigid about that

YellowZx5
10-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I remember Ford had the Aspire name, and thought a Mercury Aspire would sound decent.

There are not that many names I would think of when choosing a name for a new small micro car for a Mercury branded automobile. I like using the three letter acronym like Lincoln does. I don't understand the MKT for what they are intending on it brand. I think the Mark Lt should of been branded the MkT.

Maybe changing the newer Mercury vehicles to the three letter initials starting with the small car.

2b2
10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
^ Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

*ahem*
I mean, You really think so, YellowZx5?

imho they really need to get the mUCk (rhymes with... ) OFF the LINCOLNS!
not immediately of course
probably best to wait for the GRwdP :D

& I wouldn't mind if (as sorta said^ ) for true-sport versions, like a Mercury SVT, to get an XR# designation - but the regular versions need Names
so a 350hp Awd Milan EcoBeast might have just XR6 on its trunklid :cool:
but you could still say you have a MILAN :)

Logans Run
10-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Milanetto is a nice name, but it sounds like a cookie or a combination of
Milan & Ghetto...not the name association I would want.

I'd like to see a Mercury version of the Focus hardtop convertable.
I'd call it the Mercury Mojo

MERCURYSABLE08
10-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Maybe changing the newer Mercury vehicles to the three letter initials starting with the small car.

I respect and value you opinion but I don't think that it would be a good idea to give Mercury's three letter names. I think it'd be best if Mercury stuck with spelled out nameplates. Just my opinion though.

I agree with 2b2 I think that if or when the Mercury Milan is introduced with the Eco-boost Engine that it'd be nice if Mercury called it the Milan XR-4 with the four standing for the 4 Cylinder Engine.

I personally would still like to see the new compact Mercury be called Comet or Meteor.

SobeSVT
10-16-2008, 07:15 AM
How about the Mini-Me(rcury)?

What a lame attempt to make a joke . . . :(

MERCURYSABLE08
10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
How about the Mini-Me(rcury)?

What a lame attempt to make a joke . . . :(

LOL :D I thought it was funny.

Tahoe
10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
i like mystique

MERCURYSABLE08
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
i like mystique

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mystique nameplate return. I once owned an '96 Mystique LS V6 and it was an awesome little car it drove great, never gave me one bit of trouble and the fuel mileage was great even with the V6 it got 30-32 MPG on the highway and in town it returned 22-23 MPG. To tell you the truth I wished I had kept it but oh well.

YellowZx5
10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Mercury Mystique would be a good name. I like it better than Meteor or Comet. I voted for the Mercury Tracer because it seemed nice fit for a tiny car. Mercury Mystique, Mercury Milan, Mercury Mariner, Mercury Mountaineer. It all seems to fit all together.

MERCURYSABLE08
10-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Mercury Mystique would be a good name. I like it better than Meteor or Comet. I voted for the Mercury Tracer because it seemed nice fit for a tiny car. Mercury Mystique, Mercury Milan, Mercury Mariner, Mercury Mountaineer. It all seems to fit all together.

I agree Mystique would go well with Milan, Mariner and Mountaineer.

MERCURYSABLE08
10-17-2008, 08:48 AM
The last Mistique was one of the worst Mercury vehicles ever. They were well known for electrical problems among other issues. It was very UN-fondly referred to by many Service Techs as the Mercury Mistake. Ford Motor Co will never bring that nameplate back to any vehicle.

Well people can call the Mystique what they like. Although it is unlikely that the Mystique nameplate will make a return I again have to say that the '96 Mystique I owned was a great car it never gave me a bit of trouble in the 6 years that I owned it. And I know a couple people that still own a Mercury Mystique and from what I know they say they really like them. And both of these people purchased their Mystique's new and one of them has a 120,000k miles and the other one has 87,000k miles and they are both still running strong.

2b2
10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
I was considering buying a Mystique
which shared its platform with what I really wanted - the Cougar! - fell *IN LOVE* with it's interior - thought&still-think it was THE Best 'NewEdge' car & doesn't look dated even now (someone near where I lived had/has one & every time I saw it, thought of what 'could have been'... sigh)
so
this is sort of in defense of the 'little' Cougar
&
tho I liked the Mystique too - it's name wasn't what I liked about it

& edit/almost-forgot :o
what I meant to say (tho Not for a very small car) is
ORION
Merc neeeeeeeeeds to call a car the Mercury Orion http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/biggrin.gif

hmm
wonder if Orion would be a better name than Electron for that 'whitespace vehicle'?
I was thinking of it for the GRwdP, but....

Mbukukanyau
10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I choose Mystique

YellowZx5
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Well LMdealer remember our discussion, there are more vehicles in the Ford lineup that has bad names:

Ford Exploders (Explorer)

Only to name two, and they are still going good. Granted the Focus will be changed and the Explorer will need to be changed to something different.

SobeSVT
10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Well LMdealer remember our discussion, there are more vehicles in the Ford lineup that has bad names:

Ford Exploders (Explorer)

Only to name two, and they are still going good. Granted the Focus will be changed and the Explorer will need to be changed to something different.

The name Explorer had such a tremendous equity on it that when it was time to replace the Explorer, despite all the rollover-Firestone fiasco, Ford had no choice but to keep soldiering on with the name. By the way, the word "Exploder" was just a sad joke since these cars never exploded.

The name Mystique doesn't even being to come close to what the name Explorer meant in recognition and loyalty and for this new lease in life that Mercury has been given they better chose a brand new name, and they better choose wisely.

saintl1
10-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Trust me on this.

Ford will not use the name Mystique on this new Mercury.

LM DEALER, i agree that this car will not be called mystique but I owned several of the new cougars and the only problem I ever had was the fuel pump on my 2002. otherwise it was the best car i ever owned