Free Market Labor Myth [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Free Market Labor Myth

Tahoe
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
This is just one of my many opinions. Multiple unions should be allowed to compete for jobs within industry and government. Union laws are one of the basic reasons we find ourselves in this mess. UAW is a monopoly. GM cannot go to another labor union for workers. They are forced by law to hire only UAW. Is that a Free Market?

SobeSVT
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
This is just one of my many opinions. Multiple unions should be allowed to compete for jobs within industry and government. Union laws are one of the basic reasons we find ourselves in this mess. UAW is a monopoly. GM cannot go to another labor union for workers. They are forced by law to hire only UAW. Is that a Free Market?

Every union contract since the mid 1980s has been a concessionary contract. They have given mostly everything they have been asked for.

I agree about the multiple unions scenario, though.

member12
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
The UAW needs to justify it's existance to it's members, yet in order to survive, they'll have to make massive concessions.

I'd like to see the UAW break or be restructured completely.

The multiple union scenario sounds like the potential for riots and organized crime to me.

MaxLegroom
01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
It's not a especially plausible scenario to have multiple unions, in fact, it would be possible that you'd have to obey multiple sets of rules if you did. One union might allow this, another not. It could be worse than having to deal with the UAW.

What could happen is another union replacing the UAW, the way the Steelworkers, if I recall correctly, replaced the Peninsula Shipbuilders Association to represent shipyard workers here in the 1980s. Of course, who'd be ready to do that?

theoldwizard1
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM
The issues really has to do with the global wage scale and standard of living.

Take Mexico for example. (I'm choosing Mexico because it is a NAFTA country and Ford will soon be building its 2 out of 3 of its lowest prices US cars there; the Fiesta and the Fusion). An assembly line worker there making about $10/hours thinks he is a king ! He and his family get free basic medical and dental (admitted, only at the Ford factory clinic). He might even have a few dollars a month thrown into a "retirement account".

He probably takes public or Ford supplied transportation to and from work. He lives in "nice" 2 or 3 bedroom house/apartment (1,000 sq ft or less) with electricity, a television and a refrigerator and indoor plumbing but no A/C. Parents and even grandparent may live in the same house. If he owns a car, it is probably more than 5 years old and is only driven on special occasions. Vacations are at home or at a relative house.

This is what UAW workers are competing against ! The Big 3 and the UAW created and filled the middle class in the 1950s and 1960s. It is disappearing fast.

I admit I don't know what the answer is, but we are currently in a "race to the bottom". There is very little that the "rest of the world" wants or needs from the US. Until that changes, or we go into total isolationism, it is only going to get worse.