Next-gen Taurus likely to move to common platform with Fusion/Mondeo [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Next-gen Taurus likely to move to common platform with Fusion/Mondeo

YellowZx5
07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/06/2010taurus_fd000_opt.jpg

Courtesy of Autoblog.com:

The 2010 Ford Taurus is barely into its launch, but plans are already being laid for the next-gen model. In what should be a surprise to no one, the next Taurus is expected to be smaller than the current car. According to The Detroit News, Ford is likely to move Taurus to a common platform shared with the Fusion and Mondeo. The combining of the Fusion and Mondeo has been planned for some time already and the Taurus will probably use a longer (and perhaps wider) variant of the same C/D segment architecture. The current Taurus platform will still be around for at least four more years and it'll also underpin the new Explorer that's expected to bow in 2010.

Similar plans are believed to be underway at General Motors for the Chevy Impala, whose next iteration will probably move to a stretched version of the Epsilon II platform along with the Buick LaCrosse and the next Malibu.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/12/report-next-gen-taurus-likely-to-move-to-common-platform-with-f/

ndwariga
07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I imagine the big difference between the two (Fusion/Taurus) will be technology and luxury features, vs. size. Sort of like Maxima Vs. Altima

ausrutherford
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Hoping that opens the door for the Falcon.

RG59061
07-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I can imagine the next iteration of the SHO Taurus on this smaller platform, would finally satisfy more of the Automotive Press, restoring the supposed agility that they feel the new one is lacking.

I'm more anxious to see if the new Fusion is going to be recieving more of the Mondeo's technology and gadgetry, as well as continued leaps in quality.

Stay Fabulous!

2b2
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I was trying to figure out how to distill all my concerns & ideas about a bigger-than-a-Fusion FordBrand car into a type-able volume
&
decided to skip it*
&
just say that the IMPORTANT size category is the SMALLER_than_Fusion category
= ie 180"(& a smidge) ovl, NOT Focus-sized...

...what's that you say? Ford DOES NOT make a car in that category?*** PRECISELY ***

* unless we're taking premium-to-Lux Brands

theoldwizard1
07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
If Taurus "moves down", I expect Mondeao/Fusion to move to a shorter wheelbase version of the same platform first.

I could happen, but I still remember the terrible back seat in the Contour. No leg room unless the driver was under 5'6" ! And the rear head room was terrible also for anyone taller than that driver.

Logans Run
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Toyota will be doing the same with their Camry/Avalon.

I do not see the Fusion shrinking. If they did that, they would have made the Focus a stretched version of the Fiesta platform. Now, this could be a possibility by the end of the decade, but I don't see it happening his soon.
From what I have heard, the Focus will be larger than the current one, and Fiesta is taking it's place as the sub-compact.

I believe the Taurus will just be on 3 to 4 inch stretched Fusion. I doubt it will be much wider though.

So if we have on one platform

Short wheelbase: Fusion, Milan, MkZ, Edge, MkX
Long wheelbase: Taurus, MkS, Explorer, Flex, MkT.

I guess the options for production will be more flexible, and make it easier to expand or shut down assembly lines when the market fluctuates.

mercury_1988
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Hoping that opens the door for the Falcon.

Let's hope Ford is considering bringing the Falcon or a Mercury version of it :D after Lut's announcement about bringing the Holden Commodore as a Chevy Caprice :) in the states .

falcon lover
07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Let's hope Ford is considering bringing the Falcon or a Mercury version of it :D after Lut's announcement about bringing the Holden Commodore as a Chevy Caprice :) in the states .

The Australian Falcon dont have any chance in USA. The Taurus is bigger, better, more atractive, less expensive ( at money change), more powerful, with more features...... I dont understand why you want the Falcon in USA. RWD??? forget it... Ford kill the RWD cars but Mustang. And that is true for Australian cars too...very soon

Andrew L
07-15-2009, 01:07 AM
I wonder what this means for the MKS....

perhaps it will move to a different platform that's RWD?

I cannot see the MKS moving down to that platform

2b2
07-15-2009, 01:30 AM
^ imho (and that's all it is)
the MKS is (and has always been) temporary - its nextgen, on whatever platform, will be the new Marquis
& its long-hiatus'ed big brother, the E386, will be the TownCar replacement, on the MKT/Flex platform.

The MKS 'slot' will be filled by the GRwdP Continental http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/biggrin.gif

ps all the doctors (except One) swear I'm not sick enough to be considered 'crazy'

mercury_1988
07-15-2009, 11:18 AM
The Australian Falcon dont have any chance in USA. The Taurus is bigger, better, more atractive, less expensive ( at money change), more powerful, with more features...... I dont understand why you want the Falcon in USA. RWD??? forget it... Ford kill the RWD cars but Mustang. And that is true for Australian cars too...very soon

I have no problem if all Ford's cars go FWD but at least give Mercury a modern RWD sedan to differentiate itself from Ford .

:D

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs19/300W/i/2007/306/9/9/2010_Mercury_Cougar_Board_by_Tsoedill.jpg

falcon lover
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I have no problem if all Ford's cars go FWD but at least give Mercury a modern RWD sedan to differentiate itself from Ford .

:D

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs19/300W/i/2007/306/9/9/2010_Mercury_Cougar_Board_by_Tsoedill.jpg

RWD for Mercury???? ummmmm, RWD is dead... and i suspect Mercury will be dead by 2013 too....

djhogie
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I read the General Motors will expand the Buick line. So why would Ford kill the Mercury line? Buick will have the REGAL. What should Ford bring to the Mercury line?:confused:

44 mpg by 2010
07-16-2009, 02:53 AM
How about US compliant versions with

1.8 Duratorq TDCi (125PS) (ECO) or 2.0 Duratorq TDCI (115PS) (ECO) and ...

a 6 speed "dual-clutch" manual/automatic transmission?

Maybe over 40 mpg(US) combined???

YellowZx5
07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I still see Mercury as a small car brand with the Milan as the largest car in the lineup. I can probably see a Focus based Mercury, and maybe a Fiesta based Mercury.

Ford has nothing to lose with the Mercury line, but if they ever do kill the Mercury line they lose a lot of the Mercury Follower/ Fan-boys.

I like my Mercury, but if they eliminated it I would then buy a Ford.

sccaSVT
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Apples to oranges. The Taurus & Falcon each win their share of adjectives. The Taurus: bigger? In certain measures. Compared to a Falcon, the Taurus has more wheelbase, overall length (which is not always better), width, front & rear track, & trunk volume. On the other hand, the Falcon wins in interior space on all accounts: front & rear headroom, front & rear legroom (by over 7 inches in rear legroom), front hip room (no rear hip room listed for the Falcon), and shoulder room front & rear by 2 inches in each row. The Taurus being less expensive is obvious. The Taurus starts @ $25,170. The least expensive listing for a V6 Falcon was ~$29,662 USD. But, considering the shipping cost, I understand that part. But, shipping Falcons to the US wouldn't cost $4K per car. For anyone that has traveled abroad to Australia can tell you, Ford Aus has been using better materials than Ford US up until the 2010 models debuted. More features, maybe. I'm not gonna scrutinize every piece of technology to find that one car has a small advantage there. However, the Taurus has finally caught the Falcon in horsepower. The Falcon engines still have more torque. And, we're not even going to mention the Falcon's V8. :p

Taurus--3.5L V6 (twin turbo, direct inj. V6), DOHC, 4 valves/cyl.
---263 hp/249 lb.-ft. torque (365 hp/350 lb.-ft.)

Falcon--4.0L direct inj. I6 (single turbo, DI I6), DOHC, 4 valves/cyl.
---261 hp/288 lb.-ft. torque (362 hp, 393 lb.-ft.)

And one more thing that ruffles my feathers: Ford "appears" to build cars for enthusiasts. Falcon/Ute XR8s & the FPV brand in Oz. The only real "enthusiast" vehicle in the US is the Raptor. That's like a 4wd Lightning. I'd like something that can handle the road & isn't seen every day. Mustangs may be great at being sporty, but until the Coyote engines start going into them, then they will just be clones of one another. I could pretty well guarantee that there wouldn't be very many Falcons seen. The Taurus just doesn't fit the bill IMO. No tail out powerslides. No burnouts. No basic hoodlum antics.

MKII
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I wonder what this means for the MKS....

perhaps it will move to a different platform that's RWD?

I cannot see the MKS moving down to that platform

Not sure if your comment about MKs moving down is meant to mean you think the EUCD platform is inferior to the quite dated D3 platform.

The EUCD will be heavily modified to be able to accept V6 engines, plus Ford China alreadys offers a LWB stretched EUCD Mondeo for their market.

EUCD will give you a much nicer driving Taurus. As good and safe as the old D3/P2 platform is, it has its weaknesses such as IMO not the easiest platform to get really good dynamics from.
From experience of driving both Volvo cars and Fords with D3/P2 platform this weakness could not be over-looked from my perspective.