Ford Inside News banner

Next Gen Ford explorer spotted at MPG

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
FoMoCoNews:Next Gen Ford explorer spotted at MPG
Hi guys I originally went to MPG today to look for the recently shot Ford raptor Supercrew. Before I could even begin my formal observations of the proving ground this Ford explorer mule made a surprise appearance. I whipped a U turn and followed in close pursuit hoping to get a few pics. unlike other explorer mules this one had conventional rims on all four wheels. I stuck with him as long as i could but deteriorating weather and road conditions forced me to break off from him. I did get three good shots though Enjoy

See less See more
#2 ·
YAY!
Good job, Gmfan1111!!!!

a couple interesting things
- the missing bar in the grille >cooling for EB?
- the narrower hatch >showing the Explorer's width?

Were you able to see the windshield/A-pillars, Gmfan?
wondering if they were as sharply raked as the other mules so far
(which reminds me of the rather-swoopy-imho T6 mules
)

&
hope you don't mind me enlarging the first pic

Attachments

#4 ·
YAY!
Good job, Gmfan1111!!!!

a couple interesting things
- the missing bar in the grille >cooling for EB?
- the narrower hatch >showing the Explorer's width?

Were you able to see the windshield/A-pillars, Gmfan?
wondering if they were as sharply raked as the other mules so far
(which reminds me of the rather-swoopy-imho T6 mules
)

&
hope you don't mind me enlarging the first pic
I don't mind (I couldn't get a good close shot anyway) so it helps. Anyway the Windshield rake and A pillars were just like the other mules that were shot. However unlike the other mules this one had more conventional wheel rims. I did not hear any turbo whine when i stuck my head out the window but the missing bar in the grille could have been some form of additional cooling for a possible EB motor. Hopefully things will be a bit more normal when i go there one more time next week.

#5 ·
:) I believe the body is wider instead of the liftgate being narrower. They are probably going to have one vehicle replace both the current explorer and expedition! This would help with sales figures;and the wider width would help with those pesty rollovers.

I believe the body is wider instead of the liftgate being narrower. They are probably going to have one vehicle replace both the current explorer and expedition! This would help with sales figures;and the wider width would help with those pesky rollovers.

#7 ·
How sure are we this truck is not a new Edge?
The new edge has already been sighted and photographed in prototype form. Also the fact that the Mule is testing an all new platform indicates that it is indeed the new explorer underneath all the various body parts

#9 ·
sccaSVT I believe you are more right than you realize! Acctualy I believe that IS the the front end from the flex... along with parts fom other ford utes.
This is the 1st generation grand am of test mules! Remember? GM used parts from existing cars and made it?!!!
But seriously, I'm pretty sure the next Explorer will look a lot like the Explorer America concept.
PS.Im new here. I will try not to double post double post in the future!

#12 ·
You made it on Autoblog!
cool didn't see that one coming. My 21st Bday is coming up next Sunday believe it or not so this is turning out to be a great pre birthday week so far.

#16 ·
thanx guys and your welcome and I can't wait to go to MPG on friday

#17 ·
thanx guys and your welcome and I can't wait to go to MPG on friday
Congratulation on the AutoBlog.com posting, very happy to see one of our people make it to the big leagues!!

Happy Birthday too......

#22 ·
If you think about the new Explorer America Front Wheel Drive concept is that at all different from the current rear wheel drive explorer. I think they should fire the person in charge of cutting the balls off the explorer.... its dead... its now a womens cuv and not a suv.... it had a sex change..... that or its transsexual now....

#23 ·
The new Edge looks good.
Basically, think Fusion.

But, the best part will be powertrain upgrades, and of course a much improved, dare I say best interior of any CUV.
LAIAS right?
^^

Right.
I think I'm getting confused here, guys. (not even sure about that)

are you two talking about the Edge or Explorer?
(actually I didn't expect to see EITHER of them at L.A. - 'just' the production Fiesta and Mustang's new 2011my drivetrains... )

#25 ·
If you think about the new Explorer America Front Wheel Drive concept is that at all different from the current rear wheel drive explorer. I think they should fire the person in charge of cutting the balls off the explorer.... its dead... its now a womens cuv and not a suv.... it had a sex change..... that or its transsexual now....

The percentage of current Explorers that get taken offroad, let alone modified for extreme use, is basically none. Ford is in the business of selling vehicles. They will sell more, and profit more from a unibody common chassis.

That said however, I will miss the BOF. But Ford has little choice if CAFE is making the rules. A lighter weight new unibody chassis, will allow smaller engines, and thus less of everything, including towing and fuel consumption. The good news is, that performance is increased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.