2009 Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: 2009 Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards

ndwariga
10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
2009 Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards

<OBJECT width=425 height=344>
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iUK-w1DUTCY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/x2-chopper-470-1109.jpg

More @ Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4333420.html)

ndwariga
10-11-2009, 11:47 PM
In case non of you noticed, ecoboost is on the list.

2b2
10-12-2009, 12:11 AM
^ yup :)
here's what I posted elsewhere about it
where some were saying turbos & DI ain't newfrom what I've read the 'secret' is in the Control mechanisms & software and their integration

in a way, somewhat like the original Wright Brothers airplane didn't have that much in the way of completely new machinery, but the way it was put together let it really FLY

ndwariga
10-12-2009, 01:16 AM
^ yup :)
here's what I posted elsewhere about it

where some were saying turbos & DI ain't newfrom what I've read the 'secret' is in the Control mechanisms & software and their integration

in a way, somewhat like the original Wright Brothers airplane didn't have that much in the way of completely new machinery, but the way it was put together let it really FLYIts got something to do with the way they deliver fuel to the Cylinder still cold, allowing the engine to run at high compression ratios something that no turbos/superchargers have been able to do until now. Even with the intercoolers.

At least thats my understanding of all this ecoboost bru ha ha

2b2
10-12-2009, 01:49 AM
^ my understanding is that
DI (Direct Injection of the fuel) cools the interior of the cylinder during each intake phase & that cooling is what allows higher compression (pre boosting). Therefore, by itself, that's not new - tho not widely used yet.

Imho it's kind of interesting that, per theoldwizard, Ford will not be using DI other than in combination with turbocharging;
tho GM DOES use DI in non-turbo engines.

ndwariga
10-12-2009, 01:58 AM
^ my understanding is that
DI (Direct Injection of the fuel) cools the interior of the cylinder during each intake phase & that cooling is what allows higher compression (pre boosting). Therefore, by itself, that's not new - tho not widely used yet.

Imho it's kind of interesting that, per theoldwizard, Ford will not be using DI other than in combination with turbocharging;
tho GM DOES use DI in non-turbo engines.
Yes, the DI Engines in GM have very high power outputs, like 304 in a Di Cadillac 3.6 .. and the ridiculous 260 HP from a 4 Banger HHR SS motor, and word is that you can bolt on a stage two GM turbo for even more power.
I The SRX is not using the Di turbo in the 2.8, that is why power is only 300 HP, compared to ecoboost of 365. HP.

But 300 HP is serious power already, that is why the 365 HP in the ecoboost is soo amazing.

2b2
10-12-2009, 02:03 AM
...But 300 HP is serious power already, that is why the 365 HP in the ecoboost is soo amazing.

tut-tut, Tut ;)
that 365 is nuthin'
the 3.5EB is really a limited-for-the-trannie 415hp job :)
that why it's torque 'curve' is flatter than a tabletop :cool: