Ford Inside News banner

AutoWeek: Ford gives up sliding doors for Flex

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  B.R. 
#1 ·

NEW YORK -- By dumping a feature closely associated with minivans, Ford Motor Co. found a way to make the 2009 Ford Flex more appealing to customers who need room for a family but don't want the minivan stigma.

The pivotal moment in the Flex's development came, Ford design chief J Mays said, when he and his North American lieutenant, Peter Horbury, convinced the rest of the organization that rear sliding doors cost too much.

Even though the Fairlane concept that inspired the Flex had suicide doors, the production vehicle was being planned with rear sliders.

"When we took the sliding doors off, suddenly there was money in the product program freed up magically to put higher-grade materials, fantastic-quality leather, 8-inch DVD drop-down screen in the back, optional refrigerator, glass roof," Mays said.

"Suddenly money was falling from the heavens because we didn't have those damn sliding doors on it anymore."

Removing the sliding doors didn't pay for all the upgrades Mays mentioned, "but it paid for a lot of it," he said. The Flex will be produced with conventional rear doors.

The seven-passenger Flex, introduced here at the auto show last week, will be built at Ford's Oakville, Ontario, assembly plant and go on sale in the summer of 2008, Ford Americas President Mark Fields said. It will have a 3.5-liter V-6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive will be available.

Fields wouldn't talk about price, but acknowledged that the Flex will be at the top of Ford's crossover lineup. That means it will be slotted above the Ford Freestyle, which has a base price of $26,670, including shipping.

Link Click Here

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, they could at least allow some after market outfit access to their technology.. and offer them through their dealer network and make a killing that way..
Imagine all those Rap Videos.. I am sure one of those Lambo Doors aftermarket Sema tuners will have one with the doors
That idea isnt too bad, but how many people that bought a Flex would go for it? Id guess not too many. The Flex will be fine without them if Ford has made it really easy to access the third rowlike in a Minivan, or the Expedition.

#6 ·
...The Flex will be fine without them if Ford has made it really easy to access the third rowlike in a Minivan, or the Expedition.
At the last autoshow, I most got a claustrophoiba attack in the R-klasse 3rd row, but was fine IN & GettingINto-OUTof the FS/TauruX. Since the Flex has More room & bigger rear doors, it should be fine!

#8 ·
You mean cargo room in the TauruX? (actually a '07 Freestyle when I saw it here in LA)
No, not really, or don't recall. Sorry.
Looking at the Flex pix, IF you have a Large family, it seems loooong roadtrips might require an Exped-EL or Navi-L, since their added length is largely cargo room iirc...
('course gas prices may turn loooong trips into shorter ones ;))

And people said all the cuv's/suv's overlapped too much.

#11 ·
You mean cargo room in the TauruX? (actually a '07 Freestyle when I saw it here in LA)
No, not really, or don't recall. Sorry.
Looking at the Flex pix, IF you have a Large family, it seems loooong roadtrips might require an Exped-EL or Navi-L, since their added length is largely cargo room iirc...
('course gas prices may turn loooong trips into shorter ones ;))

And people said all the cuv's/suv's overlapped too much.
Sorry, I should have worded that better. That question was towards SobeSVT, I was wondering if he got a chance to saw cargo room in the Flex. Last summer I rented a Freestyle and it was a very nice car to drive with a nicely finished interior, it was just a little underpowered. If the Flex is anything like the Freestyle ride wise, it will be a hit.

#12 ·
Sorry, I should have worded that better. That question was towards SobeSVT, I was wondering if he got a chance to saw cargo room in the Flex. Last summer I rented a Freestyle and it was a very nice car to drive with a nicely finished interior, it was just a little underpowered. If the Flex is anything like the Freestyle ride wise, it will be a hit.
The Flex is very spacious in every respect. It has a huge cavernous cabin. It seems a place where every passenger can find its own space without feeling much the rest of the crowd. Cargo space is no exception, with the third row up there is a more than reasonable amount of cargo space, with the third row down space is just vast.

#13 ·
The Flex is very spacious in every respect. It has a huge cavernous cabin. It seems a place where every passenger can find its own space without feeling much the rest of the crowd. Cargo space is no exception, with the third row up there is a more than reasonable amount of cargo space, with the third row down space is just vast.

Well if it is as spacious as you say, I am convinced that Ford has a big hit on their hands with this vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.