GM & Ford [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: GM & Ford

04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
There was a time GM and Ford were lagging behind in transmissions. When everyone was running 5 speeds they were stuck with 4 speeds. They stepped up and developed jointly the FWD 6 speed and now Honda and Toyota are playing catch up, along with everyone else.

Should GM and Ford make a joint effort to develop a 10 speed for their premium trucks and Sedans?

04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Wouldnt a 10 speed be overkill. I almost fail to see the reasoning for an 8speed.

04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
If they are putting it in Lincoln, Cadillac, King Ranch and Denali type vehicles, anything to outdo the Germans can be justified..

04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Six speeds is enough for me. Instead of adding more speeds they should focus on transmission architecture. More dual clutch for small and sporty cars and some new solution for the larger cars where new types of transmissions have traditionally not worked.

04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm having a hard time picking one choice
partly want to vote All of the above
yet also none of the above :yikes:

-- for the near term I want to see DCT/PowerShifts in All FML cars & Cuvs
-- iirc I've read that anything over 6 speeds gives increasingly little improvement of any kind - not sure who offers more on which models - would it be just "silly" brands like Lexif & MBoo? ;)
-- and I'm not sure if Any present transmission will be ideal for future-tech drivetrains, like with hydrogen-fuel-cells it'll be all electric and think E-motors don't even necessarily need trannies, do they?
since Ford is already partnered with Getrag for DCT/PS's
guess I'll vote they & GM can do their own 6+speeds (if they want them) without joining forces for the "remaining days" that are left

Andrew L
04-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Ford should develop an 8 speed for Lincoln ONLY

04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Gm is already working on 8 speeds (, Ford is already developed Dual clutch transmissions,

GM already has a dual clutch system in the works. I would say they do not need each other at this time.