Toyota Trucks Ahead in 2007 Recalls [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Toyota Trucks Ahead in 2007 Recalls

ndwariga
04-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Thunder on the Tundra: Toyota Trucks Ahead in 2007 Recalls
Our Buy American Mention of the Week!
by Roger Simmermaker
February 18, 2007

If you’ve merely done a moderate amount of Internet surfing or cracked open a newspaper lately - just about any newspaper - you’ve undoubtedly seen the news that Toyota has once again passed Ford in worldwide auto sales and may pass GM sometime this year.
But what you may not have seen is that Toyota has already passed both Ford and GM in a different category - automotive recalls.
Although we’ve barely passed mid-February, Toyota has already recalled 533,417 vehicles this year in a mix that, according to www.AutoRecalls.us (http://www.AutoRecalls.us), includes Tundras Sequoias and Camrys. That puts Toyota on track to recall more than the over 1.76 million autos they recalled in the U.S. and Japan in 2006, and the 2.2 million they recalled in 2005 when they recalled more cars than they built.
What’s more, the current recall related to the Turdra trucks and Sequioa SUVs is similar to the same defect in 800,000 of the same vehicles in 2005. Maybe somebody at Toyota isn’t paying attention?
Hopefully the American consumers are. Recall numbers by domestic companies (GM and Ford) so far this year are as follows: Ford, 128,163; Chevrolet, 4,829; and Pontiac, 1,602.
Chrysler - a German company masquerading as an American company with plans to start importing cars from China in 2008 - has recalled 77,432 vehicles so far in 2007.
To be sure, high recall numbers are not good. Auto companies would much rather prefer high sales numbers instead. As I’ve already mentioned, the media is abuzz that GM may lose its crown this year to Toyota in worldwide auto sales. But for that to ever happen in the U.S. sales category, it’s going to take several more years since GM has a U.S. market share of 24.3% compared to 15.4% for Toyota. Even Ford, despite their recent troubles, has a higher domestic market share than Toyota at 17.5%.

<TABLE align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/graphics/doodads/b-bar-red-m.jpg
How Americans Can Buy American
Post Office Box 780839, Orlando, Florida 32878-0839
Tel: 1-888-US OWNED (1-888-876-9633) <!--Fax: 407-249-1689-->
Emergency Backup: 407-234-4626
Email the Author: Roger Simmermaker (buyamerican@howtobuyamerican.com)
Web: http://www.howtobuyamerican.com (http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/)
http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/graphics/doodads/b-bar-red-m.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Story Link Click Here (http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/bamw-070218-tundra.shtml) or Here (http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48175)

B.R.
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I bet the press will never think of reporting this. But if it was Ford/GM it would be in the headlines.

2b2
04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
^^ question for David Mamet...
how to work this into a cutesy commercial with artistic flair?

RG59061
04-19-2007, 05:55 AM
This is simply proof positive that Toyota has grown too big...too fast.

They can not keep on top of the "Lean-manufacturing" techniques that made their cars so rock-solid almost twenty years ago. Instead, they have to recall more products and fix them at the dealer as they instead build more assembly facilities to fill the demads of their ever growing dealer base and the overwhelming belief in Toyota's supposed automotive perfection.

I believe that the executives at Toyota Headquarters in Japan have become fixated on the idea of becoming the World's Largest Automotive Manufacturer, and forgot what made them such a success in the 1980s as well as the model that every other Automotive Company wanted to copy.

Of course, Toyota's forray into NASCAR also took them astray from the path.

Oh well, I say let Toyota learn their lesson the hard way...it is the only way an Automotive Company really will ever learn where it needs to focus its attention. I just hope that the guys in Dearborn and Detroit are paying attention to the P.R. Chernobyl that is growing inside of Toyota Motor Corporation.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

LincolnFan
04-19-2007, 09:17 AM
What goes round, goes around.

I am sick of the domestics bad news, I can't wait till I read this headline "Toyota in deep trouble, considering betting the farm".

B.R.
04-19-2007, 01:28 PM

I am sick of the domestics bad news, I can't wait till I read this headline "Toyota in deep trouble, considering betting the farm".

I dont know if we will be hearing that anytime soon, but the press will eventually see what is going on with Toyota and will see that Ford and GM have worked hard to make great products that are better than Toyota.

SobeSVT
04-19-2007, 02:38 PM

I don't think you will read that headline in your lifetime.

What we need to understand here is that GM and Ford problems are not caused by Toyota. Toyota (and Honda for that matter) saw the weaknesses of the big three and designed an strategy for growth which obvously included taking advantage of such weaknesses. Who could blame them for that?

This is a war in which all (automakers and customers) could be benefited in the long run if there are not substantial casualties since only good product will come out of it. Sadly today it is the autoworkers and the small investors the ones suffering the consequences. But keep always in mind that the solution of the domestic problems is NOT based on Toyota's demise.

Now, it would only be FAIR if the mainstream media would cover this headline the same way they do when Ford or GM have a production hiccup, just to give an example.

B.R.
04-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Now, it would only be FAIR if the mainstream media would cover this headline the same way they do when Ford or GM have a production hiccup, just to give an example.

And I dont think we will be seeing that for a little while yet either.

RG59061
04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I agree,

The increase in recalls, coupeled with the Toyota Tundra's lack-luster crash test scores only combine to make a pair of chinks in the Toyota Motor Company's samurai armor.

If only the American Manufacturers would find some way of exploiting these chinks in their advertising and promotion.

Sadly, even if they did, the media would probably see it as bullying or some form of envy/jealousy.

Hopefully, I am proven wrong on that last statement.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

B.R.
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Was the recall for the Toyota trucks for the ball joints or other stuff?

ndwariga
04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Toyota has dad soo many recalls lately that, I am beggining to loose track of all their problems...
one was for Prado's wheels coming off

B.R.
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Toyota has dad soo many recalls lately that, I am beggining to loose track of all their problems...
one was for Prado's wheels coming off

Wheels coming off? Wow, imagine driving 100km/h down a highway and a wheel flys off. Scary.

SobeSVT
04-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Wheels coming off? Wow, imagine driving 100km/h down a highway and a wheel flys off. Scary.
The H2 has a similar problem.

Myself
04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
The H2 has a similar problem.
The H2 is just a glorified Tahoe.. How would it have a problem when Tahoes do not?
A lot of things about Hummer is political misinformation. What you say about Hummer from an enviromental standpoint is also applicable to Tundra, Seqouia and Nissan Patrol