Ford Inside News banner

Ford Flex: Spy Report

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Ford Flex: Spy Report

The spy shots above and below (at right) show a number of minor changes to the prototype Flex Flex model since we first saw it at the New York auto show last month. We’ll get to all of them in a minute, but our first impression upon seeing the Flex hit the road? It looks long, long, long—much bigger than the discontinued Ford Freestar minivan it’s replacing. Flex could fit in well as an airport shuttle van, but we do still like the hinged rear doors (they could convince soccer moms that this is a perfect new ride after all those long years of service from the family minivan).

Popular Mechanics

See less See more
#2 ·
Having read the commentary on the various "differences" between this protoype and the Pre-Production unit unveiled at New York...I can say that I will continue not using Popular Mechanics for Auto News.

It is obvious that this is a prototype and that would explain why the Front and Rear bumpers have been painted black. Also, the fact that there is no chrome trim on this prototype probably signifies that this is a lower trim level...probably an XL Trim Flex. Not some sign that Ford has dropped all of the bright work across the line-up. The grille being painted to match is for masking the protoype in plain sight...although not that effective.

I am anxious to start seeing the Flex very soon...this could join the Fusion, Mustang, Edge, and F-Series and finally give Ford another Home-Run!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#3 ·
Having read the commentary on the various "differences" between this protoype and the Pre-Production unit unveiled at New York...I can say that I will continue not using Popular Mechanics for Auto News.

It is obvious that this is a prototype and that would explain why the Front and Rear bumpers have been painted black. Also, the fact that there is no chrome trim on this prototype probably signifies that this is a lower trim level...probably an XL Trim Flex. Not some sign that Ford has dropped all of the bright work across the line-up. The grille being painted to match is for masking the protoype in plain sight...although not that effective.

I am anxious to start seeing the Flex very soon...this could join the Fusion, Mustang, Edge, and F-Series and finally give Ford another Home-Run!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
I agree 100% with RG here. Why would anyone expect to have a fully trimed test mule driving around the streets of Detroit. The commentary by Popular Mechanics are just a rethoric exercise to accompany spy pics of a car that everybody that gives a flying popcorn about these things know how it will look like.

#5 ·
^^ imho 260 is fine for the base engine but I hope they have some sort of optional powertrain -
300 v6 with DI
300+ e.f.k.a.BOSS/Hurricane
300 v6-Hybrid - which Igor said they're NOT currently planning :-(
????diesel???? - " " " " " " " _ :-( _ :-( _ :-( _ :-( _ :-( _ :-( _ :~(
considering what we've been hearing enginewise, would they do a smaller v6 with turbo??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.