Ford GT Successor A Go? [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford GT Successor A Go?

nsap
02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Ford GT Successor A Go?

Electric-assisted drivetrains are here to stay, and they've even made some inroads into legitimate supercar territory with the Porsche 918 Spyder, and in mechanical-hybrid terms with the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid. But could a hybrid power the next Ford GT?

That's the story slinking around the Web today, as Auto Express says it has inside word that the next GT40-inspired supercar from Ford will get its power from a Porsche 918-like layout, with an electric motor powering the front wheels for low-sped efficiency boosting and high-speed power.

The primary powerplant is pegged as a supercharged V-8, as you'd expect, and total output from the hybrid system is rumored to hit 600 horsepower. That number is very close to the last Ford GT's 5.4-liter dry-sump, aluminum-block supercharged V-8, which was rated at 550 horsepower. A variation on that engine (wet sump, different supercharger) is now found in the 2011 Shelby GT500.

Should Ford choose to go the hybrid route for the next GT, we'd expect the price to rise considerably, as it will add a huge degree of complexity to both the engineering and production of the car. Given its limited volume status, however, that may not be a problem.

Read More... (http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1054746_ford-gt-successor-to-go-hybrid)

ausrutherford
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Here are the renderings from AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_842/car_photo_421390_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_842/car_photo_421387_25.jpg

Andrew L
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I know those are just renderings, but they look pretty slick!

SullyND
02-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I know those are just renderings, but they look pretty slick!

That's because they spent five minutes in photoshop tweaking an old Ford concept. The GR-1 looks better untouched.

falcon lover
02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Too much front overhang. Nothing new in style or design. Not enough atractive to be a real halo car for Ford

I pass.......

Andrew L
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
That's because they spent five minutes in photoshop tweaking an old Ford concept. The GR-1 looks better untouched.

Yeah I know where it came from, but I still like it

SobeSVT
02-02-2011, 06:05 PM
LOL. Agreed, but at least they didn't put a RR grill, vinyl roof or a spare tire bulge.

Seriously, besides de atrocious AutoExpress render, which are ALWAYS wrong. . . does anyone thinks anything about the project itself?

I personally think is a fantastic idea at the right time. It would do wonders for Ford image (i know, I know . . . but remember, you can always do better). Imagine a SLS E- cell killer by Ford. It only makes sense for the gas less future that is coming . . . fast.

falcon lover
02-03-2011, 08:16 AM
LOL. Agreed, but at least they didn't put a RR grill, vinyl roof or a spare tire bulge.

Seriously, besides de atrocious AutoExpress render, which are ALWAYS wrong. . . does anyone thinks anything about the project itself?

I personally think is a fantastic idea at the right time. It would do wonders for Ford image (i know, I know . . . but remember, you can always do better). Imagine a SLS E- cell killer by Ford. It only makes sense for the gas less future that is coming . . . fast.

No RR grille or vinyl roof????? seriously???? So, i'm not interested in that car.......

hahaahahahahaha..... !!!!!!!

The oil price today, with the Egipt revolution, is more than 100$. And wait until 2012, when Venezuela go to presidential election in december (winter in the north) and the dictator Chavez wont recognize the results. The oil will climb to 150 or 200 $ ... I expect 4 or 5 or 6$ per gallon gas in USA in 2012-2013 winter.

TurboS40
02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
To bad a modern Pantera from DeTomaso will never end up in the newly renovated Lincoln showrooms to draw in new customers. .....And no if it did, it would not have the RR front, tire decklid so Falcon, you will just have to get over it....LOL

Logans Run
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder if Lincoln could do the reverse for a performance compact FWD Hybrid. Have the 1.6EB power the front wheels and have the battery power the rear wheels.

Andrew L
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
To bad a modern Pantera from DeTomaso will never end up in the newly renovated Lincoln showrooms to draw in new customers. .....And no if it did, it would not have the RR front, tire decklid so Falcon, you will just have to get over it....LOL

HEY I LIKE THE TIRE DECK LID TOO lol

I would like to see one make a return but only if it's a Mark, and it cannot be too over the top, something very subtle

ausrutherford
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe Ford should team up with Prodrive to build one. Afterall, the last was built with Saleen...but it has died pretty much. Ford can then go into the Aston Martin parts bin.

Andrew L
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Maybe Ford should team up with Prodrive to build one. Afterall, the last was built with Saleen...but it has died pretty much. Ford can then go into the Aston Martin parts bin and Prodrive can use the car as a basis for a Ferrari 458 competitor.

Doesn't Ford still own a small percentage for Aston? I don't see why they couldn't work togeather

ausrutherford
02-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Doesn't Ford still own a small percentage for Aston? I don't see why they couldn't work togeather

They do, 8.7%.