Euro-bred Lincoln is a no-go [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Euro-bred Lincoln is a no-go

megeebee
05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Global glitch: Ford scraps Lincoln import

Amy Wilson |

Automotive News | 1:00 am, May 14, 2007

Alan Mulally wanted Lincoln to get a U.S. version of a new European crossover to be built at Ford's Saarlouis, Germany, plant. It's part of his globalization mantra.

Oops. The plunging dollar has forced Ford to scrap the plan. This shows why currency is one of the things that make it hard to achieve Mulally's global dream.

The crash of dollar against euro torpedoed the plan, one source said. The value of the euro to the dollar hit $1.37, an all-time high, at the end of April. On Friday, May 11, it was $1.35.

"Clearly, what's very important is it has to pass the business-case test," Ford's Americas chief, Mark Fields, said last week when asked about the Europe-made Lincoln.

The program had not received formal approval, a spokesman said Friday, May 11.

The small Lincoln crossover is still on Ford's wish list, another company source said. But it may wait until the company builds its next-generation Focus-sized, or C-segment, vehicles in North America early in the next decade.

The imported Lincoln would have been a variant of a Ford-brand crossover that goes on sale in Europe next year, industry and Ford sources said.

The new European Ford is based on the Iosis X concept vehicle exhibited at the 2006 Paris auto show. A near-production model is expected to debut at the Frankfurt auto show this year.

www.autonews.com
Subscription

ndwariga
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Perhaps building it in the US and exporting to Europe might be a good thing. I know GM is going to be doing that with the next Opel's and is already doing so with Sky and Cadillacs

megeebee
05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Does Ford have a plant in North America capable of building it?

1931Chevy
05-14-2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/14/e...-in-the-water/
Whenever we get the chance to corner an exec from FoMoCo, the topic of conversation inevitably gravitates towards Ford's European lineup and questions about why these vehicles never make it Stateside. The answers always center around currency exchange rates and how the weak dollar won't allow such importations to take place. Now those same exchange problems have killed off a Lincoln crossover that is expected to be built at the automaker's Saarlouis plant in Germany.

The European Ford CUV was originally intended to make the trek across the Atlantic and be rebadged a Lincoln when it goes on sale next year. Taking cues from the Iosis X concept that bowed in Paris in 2006, it might have even portended a new styling direction for Lincoln.

The cute 'ute may still come to market in the U.S., but that's not going to happen until a C-segment vehicle is built somewhere in North American in the next ten years. Unfortunately, that's another story we've heard before.

ndwariga
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
If UAW would give Ford favorable terms, retooling a factory would not be too big of a deal

B.R.
05-14-2007, 12:26 PM
So it would have been smaller than the MKX, but what would it compete against? The RDX?

2b2
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Never heard of this until now
& as some have said elsewhere - I'm glad it isn't happening, doesn't sound very Lincolnesque.
- wonder if this was part of that bogus "Lincoln to have higher volume than Merc" plan? -

meanwhile
an apparently brand-new "Sable X"(MetaOne?) has been spied - link (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12452&pid=176017&st=0&#entry176017)

This could be an interesting opportunity to see if Ford's "reaction time" has improved.

Quote: megeebee
Does Ford have a plant in North America capable of building it?

Ready-to-go? nope
tho I'm sure you know there's a vast assortment of closed/closing plants...
(umm was that rhetorical?)

SobeSVT
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Never heard of this until now
& as some have said elsewhere - I'm glad it isn't happening, doesn't sound very Lincolnesque.
- wonder if this was part of that bogus "Lincoln to have higher volume than Merc" plan? -

meanwhile
an apparently brand-new "Sable X"(MetaOne?) has been spied - link (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12452&pid=176017&st=0&#entry176017)

This could be an interesting opportunity to see if Ford's "reaction time" has improved.
A mini-ute for Lincoln? The concept itself sounds dead in the water.

2b2
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
A mini-ute for Lincoln? The concept itself sounds dead in the water.

Yeah. Really makes me wonder WHO thought of this to begin with... Mr.M????
tho in fairness, the Mini-X will probably spawn a LR version...
but then again, if there's an LRx (get it? mini "x" http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/smilewide.gif) why would any part of the world need a Lincoln version?

SobeSVT
05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah. Really makes me wonder WHO thought of this to begin with... Mr.M????
tho in fairness, the Mini-X will probably spawn a LR version...
but then again, if there's an LRx (get it? mini "x" http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/smilewide.gif) why would any part of the world need a Lincoln version?
I think that Mercury could use one though. ;)

2b2
05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
^^
;) name something Merc couldn't use ;)

(uhhh.. except a spokesperson replacement - they do that & I will NOT be responsible for my actions!)

SobeSVT
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
^^
;) name something Merc couldn't use ;)

(uhhh.. except a spokesperson replacement - they do that & I will NOT be responsible for my actions!)

A Jeep Compass :p

2b2
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
:hysterical: You win, S. :p

Mbukukanyau
05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
:hysterical: You win, S. :p
Like the GM expirience has shown, and now Ford, only product can make a company turn around, though in some places GM still does not get it, for example, lack of Navigation in Aura and 2008 Malibu....they are doing a great Job, and Ford is also finally getting it..
Meanwhile, one wonders why DCX is making the compass, who designed it and why they killed the Neon!!???

megeebee
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
A Jeep Compass :p

There is not enough bandwidth here for me to express just how mauch I hate those!

But you can bet that if the badges read "Toyota", or "Honda" (I'm thinking of the CRV), they would be all over the place.

SobeSVT
05-15-2007, 02:40 PM
There is not enough bandwidth here for me to express just how mauch I hate those!

But you can bet that if the badges read "Toyota", or "Honda" (I'm thinking of the CRV), they would be all over the place.
Then I am glad they don't. That thing is almost as offensive as the Pontiac Aztek. Sadly, I think you are right.