The most beautiful country in AZ is burning. My heart hurts. :( [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: The most beautiful country in AZ is burning. My heart hurts. :(

06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Some of you have probable heard about the Wallow fire in Eastern AZ. What you may not have heard, is what is burning.

The Eastern part of AZ has some of the most beautiful mixed conifer forests in the states. It is dotted with picturesque towns, nestled in valleys of meadows that elk and deer graze in............ with streams running through them.

The Wallow fire was started because the Forest Service decided, in their infinite wisdom, to take off the fire restrictions in the area, for the Memorial Day weekend. This was in spite of the red flag fire warnings that were in effect for much of the mountain country of AZ. Some intelligent hikers decided to leave their campfire going, while they went fishing. They left their dogs tied up in camp. When they returned, their camp had burned, including their dogs. They ran away, and eventually called 911. Due to the remoteness of the area, the forest service decided to let the fire burn............. at first.

It is now the size of the Phx area, and encompasses 600+ square miles. It is on the edge of many of those beautiful little towns, and all have been evacuated. One beautiful town was compromised yesterday. Greer sat in a valley, around a river and meadow. It was filled with beautiful log homes and cabins. The extent of the damage is not known at this time, and firefighters are back in town as of last evening, trying to save structures.

I have spent alot of my time in this area. I used to own a lot in Alpine, but had to sell it after my divorce. We would hunt critters with cameras throughout the area, and I would find it so beautiful, as to almost be painful. I stayed many a weekend/week in cabins in Greer with my now husband. Our first camping trip was to a particularly gorgeous spot between Alpine and Hannigans meadow. It is all gone.

Our son will never see all the beauty in that area, that we have seen. The forest will recover, but it will not be in my lifetime. All because of many levels of stupidity.

06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
First: Hint to Forest service, never due a burn in the summer in AZ.

I hear you Extreme, Im in the valley right now visiting my family. Thats all anyone is talking about. I hope it does not pass the Rodeo-Chediski fire that got close to you (Payson) back when I lived here. I have an old schoolmate from back when I lived here on that fire and hope they all stay safe. There is some beautiful land up there. Hopefully it all comes back quick.

06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
The Wagon Wheel fire, 2 summers ago, was within 5 miles of us. We were on a pre evacuation order. It was some idiot from the Valley, who left a roaring fire going, in a campground by the river. The firefighters did an amazing job on that one.

I pray for all of the firefighters, and pray for less wind. I will not be able to go up there for years, as it will just be too painful to see.

06-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Update: Greer damage: 22 homes destroyed, 5 damaged. 24 outbuildings destroyed.