Production Flex [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Production Flex

megeebee
06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
http://photo.ringo.com/218/218128606RL732324131.jpg (http://photo.ringo.com/218/218128606O732324131.jpg)http://photo.ringo.com/218/218128614RL973937182.jpg (http://photo.ringo.com/218/218128614O973937182.jpg)

from look of it, the production Flex will look very much like the New York concept. In fact, we're hard pressed to spot any changes, save for some minor badge relocating. This particular car doesn't have the show car's projector-beam headlights, body-colored bumpers or chrome trim, but the wheels match those seen on the show car, as do the body panels and trim pieces.

For More Click HERE (http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0706_ford_flex_spy_shots/)

SobeSVT
06-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Duh! Automobile. The "New York concept" wasn't a concept but a production ready prototype. The fact that the test mules are driven around the Detroit area without any attempt to camouflage them should have been a hint or maybe the fact that there is this little website (http://www.fordvehicles.com/flex/) for the whole world to see.

I hope they didn't pay too much money for those pics!

2b2
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
ya know
some of these pix make me just a bit worried
the concept being CD3-based was a LOT smaller
& we (tho not the general public) have seen this & seen this &...
and I'm kinda wondering what they'd do for its Nextgen Look?

Just hope the MkPeoplemover (ie Lincoln platform-mate) is ToTaLLy DiFF

RG59061
06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I personally was glad when Ford showed the New York "Concept", proving that it would not be watered down from the Fairlane Concept of the NAIAS.

Automobile Magazine is just reaching for filler for their articles since they still fall well behind Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road & Track in terms of quality and reader base. To make their article stand out, they need to reach for some type of change or speculation just to keep the reader engaged, even after Ford has released its own website highlighting the final design of the Ford Flex and showing all of the details.

Either way, and despite the unecessary commentary from this Automobile article, the Ford Flex will be a fantastic addition to the Ford Edge and will give Ford a solid alternative to help re-capture those who are unfortunately abandoning the Ford Explorer line due to increasing fuel prices and the growing demand for smaller, more practical yet stylish vehicles. There is no question that the Flex is a stylish and slightly funky vehicle and that will certainly draw many to Ford showrooms. Plus, it would be an ideal stablemate to a Ford Fusion.

I can not wait to see the various trim levels of the Flex and I am certain that these protoypes with the Black Bumpers are meerly painted in an effort to provide some camoflauge on some of the front details...I hope, as the pictures above are obviously of a SEL "Limited" trim model give the chrome mirror caps and chrome plate on the rear hatch. Plus, the Chrome Three Bar Grille and Fog Light Surrounds are painted over with white paint, as you can see the paint defects.

Again, anxiously awaiting the official release of the Ford Flex...hoping to convince my father that this is the perfect replacement for his 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, this or the Edge...possibly the Mazda CX-9 or even the Volvo XC90 would be a nice alternative as well.

Again, as always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

B.R.
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
It looks good in white with the tinted windows. This vehicle will be a huge hit for Ford, hopefully it wont weigh too much so the gas milage will be on par with that of a minivan.

Shawn704
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
It looks good in white with the tinted windows. This vehicle will be a huge hit for Ford, hopefully it wont weigh too much so the gas milage will be on par with that of a minivan.

I agree, the ideal weight should be around 4,500 to 4,800 lbs on par with the CX-9. But the Flex is much bigger than the CX-9 in width and length. The Freestyle with 3.0 V6 is only 4200ish lbs and that shares the same platform with the Flex.

2b2
06-20-2007, 12:50 AM
I agree, the ideal weight should be around 4,500 to 4,800 lbs on par with the CX-9. But the Flex is much bigger than the CX-9 in width and length. The Freestyle with 3.0 V6 is only 4200ish lbs and that shares the same platform with the Flex.

Could the weight increase of the CX-9 over the similar sized FS/TauruX be due to the CX-9 being a stretched CD3? = extra re-inforcement required?

I'm a big proponent of flexible architectures/platforms, but maybe this points out a weakness in my arguments?

Shawn704
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Could the weight increase of the CX-9 over the similar sized FS/TauruX be due to the CX-9 being a stretched CD3? = extra re-inforcement required?

I'm a big proponent of flexible architectures/platforms, but maybe this points out a weakness in my arguments?

I would have to disagree about the CX-9 because the CX-9 and Edge weighs about the same whether it's the FWD or AWD models. Despite the CX-9 being 14 inches longer it weighs about the same as the 185.7 inches Edge. Technically both Edge and CX-9 are on a modified CD3 platform as the original Mazda 6 has a double wishbone suspension and the Edge and CX-9 use MacPherson struts. The Freestyle probably weighing lesser than the CX-9 is b/c it's a tad smaller in height and width, but length and wheelbase are almost the same and it uses the Duratec30, but about the Taurus X it might be a tad heavier.

If the Flex is around 4,500 to 4,800 lbs, that's one advantage it has over the Lamdba triplets, the Acadia is a monster in weight at 5,000lbs.

B.R.
06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I would have to disagree about the CX-9 because the CX-9 and Edge weighs about the same whether it's the FWD or AWD models. Despite the CX-9 being 14 inches longer it weighs about the same as the 185.7 inches Edge. Technically both Edge and CX-9 are on a modified CD3 platform as the original Mazda 6 has a double wishbone suspension and the Edge and CX-9 use MacPherson struts. The Freestyle probably weighing lesser than the CX-9 is b/c it's a tad smaller in height and width, but length and wheelbase are almost the same and it uses the Duratec30, but about the Taurus X it might be a tad heavier.

What I dont get is that how is it possible for a 5 passenger Edge that is 14 inched shorter than the 7 passenger CX-9 weigh just as much?

Shawn704
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
^The answer may lie within the Mazda 2, Mazda is currently using high- tensile steel in the next generation Mazda 2 and that made the Mazda 2 260lbs lighter while retaining almost the same dimensions.

wingsnut
06-20-2007, 05:28 PM
What I dont get is that how is it possible for a 5 passenger Edge that is 14 inched shorter than the 7 passenger CX-9 weigh just as much?

The Edge FWD weighs 4098lbs
The CX-9 FWD weighs 4311lbs

That's well over 200lbs difference. Not really "similar."
Besides, the CX-9 has a much longer/sleeker front nose, accounting for some of that extra 14 inches.

Shawn704
06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Eh, I guess I was mistaken with an AWD Edge and a FWD CX-9. With those configuration they do weigh the same, but it's not really the same. Although 14 inches longer and it still account for around 200 lbs heavier compared with an AWD Edge. As long as the Flex is under 5,000 lbs compared to the 5,000 lbs Acadia/Enclave/Outlook, it's all good.

foxboro3642
06-23-2007, 02:00 PM
The Flex looks better than Taurus X or what ever they call that thing. I think the name "Flex" is stupid it should have been named the Falcon or ever better Fairlane.