Ford Inside News banner

Chrysler To End Ram Dakota Production On Tuesday

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
CHRYSLER TO DISCONTINUE RAM DAKOTA PICKUP
PRODUCTION OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED TO END TUESDAY AUGUST 23RD

Chrysler has announced that it will cease production of the Ram Dakota mid-size Pickup this Tuesday, the 23rd of August 2011.

For the full details, see the complete article quoted below from The Detroit News, and columnist Brian G. Hoffman.

Chrysler to stop Dakota production
Compact pickup's end could lead to layoffs at plant in Warren

Bryce G. Hoffman/ The Detroit News

Chrysler Group LLC will end production of its Ram Dakota compact pickup Tuesday — a move that has already cost 39 temporary workers their jobs and could lead to more layoffs at the company's Warren Truck Plant.

"We're working through the numbers and will not have details until next week," said Chrysler spokeswoman Jodi Tinson.

However, the union believes the number could reach 150 or more.

"In most cases, if there are layoffs, those people would be redeployed to other Chrysler facilities," Tinson said.

The factory, which also builds the Ram 1500 pickup, is running two shifts and employs about 2,300 hourly workers.

Some workers at the plant were nervous about the future Friday.

"We're concerned," said Chrysler worker Peter Moceri. "We're wondering if we're getting another vehicle."

In May, Chrysler Group CEO Sergio Marchionne said the company plans to replace the body-on-frame Dakota with a car-based "lifestyle" vehicle for the Ram brand.

He said a decision had not yet been made about where to build it.

Product analyst Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP said it was time to pull the plug on the aging truck.

"There was a time there when it was bringing buyers in that would have not bought a Ram," he said.

"The tooling was paid off, but the volumes got sub-critical."

In 2000, Chrysler sold more than 177,000 Dakotas. Last year, it barely sold 13,000.

The compact pickup segment represents less than 5 percent of total industry sales.

Ford Motor Co. plans to end production of its Ford Ranger compact pickup at the end of this year.

bhoffman@detnews.com

(313) 222-2443

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110820...ysler-to-stop-Dakota-production#ixzz1VhJq5zol
This certainly is an interesting segment of the market to look at. Ford is abandoning the Ranger now that the V6 versions of the modern F-150 are too close in size, capability and fuel economy to the new Global Ranger. GM is bringing a global version of the new Colorado out very soon. Chrysler is abandoning the mid-size market and leaving it to Toyota, Nissan, and Honda with the Tacoma, Frontier and Ridgeline respectively.

What are your thoughts on this shift in the market?

See less See more
#4 ·
unless the F series gets NARROWER and LOWER the RANGER/Tacoma sized will still HAVE a market/advantage for people that have to drive/park in urban environments AND I believe NISSAN AND TOYOTA and POSSIBLY Mazda will grow market share against FORD/RAM
I thought NISSAN wanted to bring back the "hard body" sized MINI truck and Toyota keeps threatening to bring diesel power

#6 ·
It may be time to think about a non-body on frame smaller pickup style truck. One they can build with at a car plant to cut expenses. maybe based on the Fusion platform. Need not have to tow just be able to go to Home Depot and the dump.
A front wheel drive pickup that can haul things in the back? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. How about a pickup style truck on a stretched Mustang platform with the new Ecoboost 2.0L 4? That could haul and tow a couple of jetskis/small boat.

#8 ·
Sad to see the smaller trucks go. The big 3 have just thrown in the towel to Japan. I dont want a full size Ford, Chevy or Dodge. They are too big, too expensive, still use too much gas, too hard to park, and I just dont need a truck that big. Its hard to believe that all three of them just dont get it or I guess Im in such a minority they cant make any money off a smaller truck. I give up! I guess I will be buying a sub compact car next and will rent a truck when I need one. It just sucks.

I have had 3 S10's in a row(please dont throw darts at me) and they do everything I need them to do and I used to tow a 18 ft Ranger bass boat with one everywhere. It did have the 4.3 though but the brakes were not up to par and my trailer didnt have trailer brakes. I just got done making a half a dozen trips to haul gravel. But, most of the time they are empty. The 4.3 is a good engine in these smaller trucks but I really only need a 4 cylinder now. I was hoping to pick up a base Ranger but that is not going to happen. Im bummed out and reality has set in.

#9 ·
I remember hearing rumblings of a new Sport Trac, I wonder if that is still on the table based on the D3 platform

#11 ·
A front wheel drive pickup that can haul things in the back? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. How about a pickup style truck on a stretched Mustang platform with the new Ecoboost 2.0L 4? That could haul and tow a couple of jetskis/small boat.
the car based pickup already is out there and will be powered by an ECOBOOST 4 CYL in 1 - 2 years the FALCON UTE from down under
I could see the NEXT gen FALCON based LINCOLN + a lifestyle PICKUP and a ford COP CAR to keep chevy/DODGE @ bay and
imho a Ute shape isn't quite right for our market anymore
even if it is Rwd, so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.