Ford Inside News banner

Ford Motor Company’s August Sales Up 11 Percent

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ausrutherford 
#1 ·
Ford Motor Company’s August Sales Up 11 Percent; Ford Brand Cars, Utilities, Trucks Increase, Along with Lincoln
Ford Media

Ford’s August sales totaled 175,220, up 11 percent versus a year ago
Ford brand sales were up 16 percent, paced by utilities (up 49 percent); Escape sales up 39 percent; demand for new Explorer (up 300 percent) and Edge (up 5 percent) continues to grow; Flex and Expedition sales also higher
Lincoln sales up 25 percent as MKZ increases 50 percent, MKS up 35 percent, and MKX registers 15 percent gain versus a year ago
Ford announces fourth quarter North American production plan

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 1, 2011 – Ford Motor Company’s August sales totaled 175,220, up 11 percent versus a year ago – driven by 16 percent higher Ford brand sales and 25 percent higher sales for Lincoln.

“Ford’s fuel-efficient cars, crossovers and trucks continue winning over consumers in the marketplace,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Our new product lineup – especially our newest cars – continues helping Ford grow even stronger and gain market share on the fiercely competitive East and West coasts.”

Ford Brand Cars: Up 10 Percent
Fiesta, Fusion and Mustang posted higher sales than a year ago.

Fiesta sales totaled 5,833, up 76 percent, and Fusion sales were 17,925, up 5 percent. In the first eight months of 2011, Fusion was Ford’s top-selling car, with sales totaling 168,929, up 16 percent versus a year ago. Mustang sales were up 3 percent in August.

Focus sales, constrained by low inventory, totaled 14,093, down 9 percent. Fiesta and Focus remain the fastest-turning vehicles in the Ford showroom.

Year-to-date, Ford brand car sales totaled 484,072, up 22 percent.

Ford Brand Utilities: Up 49 Percent
Ford’s best-selling utility is the Escape, and it recorded sales of 20,607 vehicles, up 39 percent versus a year ago. Year-to-date, Escape sales totaled 167,625, up 30 percent.

Explorer sales totaled 9,901, up 300 percent versus a year ago, and Edge sales totaled 9,414, up 5 percent.

“Customers value the fuel efficiency and technology of our new utilities,” said Czubay, noting that more than 90 percent of Explorers and more than 80 percent of Edges are equipped with MyFord Touch, Ford’s industry-leading hands-free system that controls entertainment, information and vehicle systems.
The 2012 Explorer has an EPA estimated highway fuel economy rating of 28 mpg when equipped with the new 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine. Explorer on the highway now beats Honda Pilot and Jeep Grand Cherokee by 5 mpg, Chevrolet Traverse by 4 mpg and Toyota Highlander by 3 mpg.

Sales for the Flex (up 23 percent) and Expedition (up 42 percent) also were higher than a year ago.

Through August, Ford was the best-selling brand of utility vehicles in America, with sales totaling 377,112, up 30 percent.

Ford Brand Trucks: Up 5 Percent
Ford truck sales were higher than a year ago in August and year-to-date. August truck sales totaled 67,282, up 5 percent. Year-to-date, Ford truck sales totaled 509,544, up 8 percent.

F-Series, America’s best-selling truck for 34 years in a row, posted August sales of 48,795, up 2 percent versus a year ago. Sales of the F-150 with new V6 engines continued to outsell V8s in August, as V6 engines accounted for 57 percent of F-150 retail sales – the highest V6 rate for any month this year. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine accounted for 41 percent of F-150 retail sales, and the 3.7-liter V6 accounted for 16 percent. Year-to-date, F-Series sales totaled 361,978, up 7 percent.

Transit Connect sales totaled 2,734, a record for August and up 35 percent versus a year ago.

Lincoln Brand: Up 25 Percent
Lincoln posted a 25 percent sales increase in August – following July’s 40 percent sales increase. In the first eight months of 2011, Lincoln sales totaled 57,823, up 4 percent versus the same period a year ago.

The MKZ sedan is Lincoln’s top seller with August sales of 2,337, up 50 percent. Sales for the MKX crossover totaled 1,971, up 15 percent, and sales for the MKS sedan were up 35 percent.

Lincoln was rated the most dependable brand in the J. D. Power and Associates 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study, and – among individual models – the MKZ sedan ranked second in reliability. Lincoln also was named the top brand in the 2011 AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Awards.

“We are absolutely focused on making Lincoln a world-class luxury brand with compelling vehicles and an exceptional ownership experience to match,” said Czubay. “We also have a lot of Lincoln news on the way – with seven new or significantly refreshed models in the next three years.”

North American Production
In the fourth quarter, Ford plans to produce 645,000 vehicles, up 9 percent versus a year ago. The third quarter production plan (630,000 vehicles) is unchanged from the previous forecast.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, Lincoln's MKS sales were up 35%! I really glad that people are taking a look at Lincoln vehicles as a good buy. I'm sure that once the newly refreshed MKS, Navigator with the new engines (especially the Ecoboost V6), and all new MKZ hit the market that their sales will be even higher!! :)

#5 ·
They run ads all the time here. I like the starship ads better also, but hey, the new ones are selling cars so obviously someone out there likes 'em. ;-)
The starship ads seemed to be directed toward a younger audience than the current ones with the old man and the "we're not luxury" theme. I do not think it is the ads that are selling the cars. Sales were bleak last year for them, so I see it more as an adjustment back to where they should sell.

I was hoping MKX would do even better, but I believe having the Explorer at the same dealer is hurting their sales.

What is really nice to see is that the MKZ is selling, and a lot of leases will be expiring when the new one arrives.

As for Ford...I think the numbers are great, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

#6 ·
Wow, Lincoln's MKS sales were up 35%! I really glad that people are taking a look at Lincoln vehicles as a good buy. I'm sure that once the newly refreshed MKS, Navigator with the new engines (especially the Ecoboost V6), and all new MKZ hit the market that their sales will be even higher!! :)
To be fair, I don't know how well percentage increases reflects in such low volumes (MKS increased from 1,111 to 1,498). You could likewise say that the Town Car really exploded this month and the MKT did really horibly compared to last year. The bottom line is, they need to sell more M-line vehicles. The MKZ increased appreciably over last year August, but is down since last month.

To me, the big suprise continues to be the Escape. It's the oldest volume vehicle in the lineup (I think), and it has sustained significant year-over-year growth for some time now. I think we all knew the Explorer would do well, but the Escape really suprises me. Next-gen is going to have a lot to live up to (in terms of sales). One's got to think the small CUV market is near saturation at this point.

#7 ·
To be fair, I don't know how well percentage increases reflects in such low volumes (MKS increased from 1,111 to 1,498). You could likewise say that the Town Car really exploded this month and the MKT did really horibly compared to last year. The bottom line is, they need to sell more M-line vehicles. The MKZ increased appreciably over last year August, but is down since last month.

To me, the big suprise continues to be the Escape. It's the oldest volume vehicle in the lineup (I think), and it has sustained significant year-over-year growth for some time now. I think we all knew the Explorer would do well, but the Escape really suprises me. Next-gen is going to have a lot to live up to (in terms of sales). One's got to think the small CUV market is near saturation at this point.
What worries me about the new Escape is that it may fall victim to what the Focus is having done right now. Very high demand with not enough inventory or production space to meet up with it.

#8 ·
What worries me about the new Escape is that it may fall victim to what the Focus is having done right now. Very high demand with not enough inventory or production space to meet up with it.
Mr Mullaly need to fix some problems in the production department. Is incredible that the Focus production cant rise to keep the pace with the demand.... now Ford is selling less Focuses than a year ago... because productions problems. Mullaly needs to cut some heads in the production management...

#9 ·
Mr Mullaly need to fix some problems in the production department. Is incredible that the Focus production cant rise to keep the pace with the demand.... now Ford is selling less Focuses than a year ago... because productions problems. Mullaly needs to cut some heads in the production management...
According to what I heard about the press call last morning, Ford greatly upped Focus production in August so hopefully Sept sales are better.

#10 ·
According to what I heard about the press call last morning, Ford greatly upped Focus production in August so hopefully Sept sales are better.
The same problem with the Fusion...not enough capacity to ram up the Fusion-MKZ production. If the next version is as wonderfull as everybody say, is Ford planning to update the Mexican plant and expand the production capacity?

#11 ·
The same problem with the Fusion...not enough capacity to ram up the Fusion-MKZ production. If the next version is as wonderfull as everybody say, is Ford planning to update the Mexican plant and expand the production capacity?
They have not announced themselves but the Mexican gov let it slip...of course that could be tentative upon the UAW contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.