4 door Mustang [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: 4 door Mustang

falcon lover
05-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes ! Ford need a 4 door Mustang.....

the 4 door Mustang, called Falcon , can give Ford a winner. May be 200K cars can be sell a year.
Is simple: take a Mustang platform, strecht it , give it a new body from de windshild, with 4 doors and voila! a new RWD medium size sport sedan for those who are recently married or have a little children, but want to have the pony car icon

the style must be some different, of course, but the platform , engines and suspensions can be identical.

What you think about it?
May be is too late for this?

RG59061
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
This plan has already been mulled around at Ford...it was the Ford Interceptor Concept shown at last years North American Intrenational Auto Show. The car was built on a modified and streched Ford Mustang Platform.

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/Ford_Interceptor_concept.jpg
The Ford Interceptor Concept

Ford is still deciding where it will source its nect gen RWD platform from...but my guess is Australia. This is based on news that Ford has invested several millions of dollars for the development of the next Falcoln platform that will be designed for Right and Left Hand Drive!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

2b2
05-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes ! Ford need a 4 door Mustang.....

the 4 door Mustang, called Falcon , can give Ford a winner. May be 200K cars can be sell a year.
Is simple: take a Mustang platform, strecht it , give it a new body from de windshild, with 4 doors and voila! a new RWD medium size sport sedan for those who are recently married or have a little children, but want to have the pony car icon

the style must be some different, of course, but the platform , engines and suspensions can be identical.

What you think about it?
May be is too late for this?

I agree just about completely, FalconLover (new/diff. sheetmetal is crucial) tho maybe 100k sales would be plenty if the platform/architecture is flexible enough for other specialty Fords - as well as FordAu & Lincoln.

Imho FordAu could use a bit of downsizing for the Falcon/Fairlanes & Mustang could use JennyCraig, so a stretched USFalcon would be closer to the current Mustang's size than the Interceptor (which I still think is more Lincolnesque than Fordish -
- tho it wouldn't be too hard to turn it into a Thunderbird with a liitle help from Ian-AM/Jag-Callum or his brother Moray Callum*).

* Wasn't Moray working for an Asian mfg (not Mazda)? Or am I thinking of 2 other related designers?

SobeSVT
05-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree just about completely, FalconLover (new/diff. sheetmetal is crucial) tho maybe 100k sales would be plenty if the platform/architecture is flexible enough for other specialty Fords - as well as FordAu & Lincoln.

Imho FordAu could use a bit of downsizing for the Falcon/Fairlanes & Mustang could use JennyCraig, so a stretched USFalcon would be closer to the current Mustang's size than the Interceptor (which I still think is more Lincolnesque than Fordish -
- tho it wouldn't be too hard to turn it into a Thunderbird with a liitle help from Ian-AM/Jag-Callum or his brother Moray Callum*).

* Wasn't Moray working for an Asian mfg (not Mazda)? Or am I thinking of 2 other related designers?
I also think is a fantastic idea AS LONG AS it is not marketed as a 4-door Mustang. the Mustang is a pony car and should be never be perceived by the public as a line that includes any other type of car. That has been crucial for the longevity of the Mustang and will be crucial for its survival.

We all know what a flop the 4-door T-bird was (1967-71).

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/images/69bird.jpghttp://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/images/70tbird.jpg
Beauty and the beast

2b2 Moray Callum worked for Ford, then went to Mazda and since May 06 has been to back to Ford heading design for North American passenger cars. I can't wait to see designs influenced by him.

2b2
05-25-2007, 06:19 PM
^^Definitely - Ford can't ever call it a 4door Mustang!!! (tho of course WE will ;))

Were you serious or facetious about the Tbirds? - I'm too zonked by sinuses to look up the #'s :O( sniffle sniffle

Think I was thinking of the Alfa/Subaru/(now Audi?) designer+bro.

FordRules
05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Look at the 4-Door Wranglers success. You cant even buy one until 2008 now.

We have one though!

SobeSVT
05-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Look at the 4-Door Wranglers success. You cant even buy one until 2008 now.

We have one though!
I don't think that example applies. The Wrangler is an all terrain sport utility, the two extra doors only enhances the utility part. A pair of two extra doors on a Mustang would do nothing for the Mustang's core image. Quite the contrary.

There is a reason why the Mustang wagon that was prototyped in the 1960's never made production.

http://www.autohistories.com/intermeccanica/im-mustangwb.jpg

It looked atratctive and like a very good idea, but Ford knew then that they shouldn't to mess with the success that affordable personal sporty transportantion was giving them. After 40+ of success why would they want to play with it now?

I agree with Falcon Lover basic premise of a Mustang based sedan, but it should NEVER be called Mustang or share one single body panel. Mustang fans prevented Ford from making a FWD toy of the Mustang in the late 80's and they (we) would riot against a 4-door Mustang.

Were you serious or facetious about the Tbirds? - I'm too zonked by sinuses to look up the #'s :O( sniffle sniffle

I was being serious (if you mean my statement about the 4 door T-Bird being a flop). I was talking out of recollection and without any numbers in my hand, though. However, I looked up info about the 4-door "glamour bird" and found that my recollection was correct, it was never a strong seller.

FordRules
05-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I belive people want a Mustang, but CANT do to lack of Cargo Space, Utility and functionality of 2 Doors.

Just like the Wrangler.

So if they keep making a 2 Door, and start making a 4-Door, everyone will be happy.

SobeSVT
05-28-2007, 07:20 AM
I belive people want a Mustang, but CANT do to lack of Cargo Space, Utility and functionality of 2 Doors.

Just like the Wrangler.

So if they keep making a 2 Door, and start making a 4-Door, everyone will be happy.
The thousands Mustang owners and fans would be really pissed having their (our) beloved pony car turned into a sedan. Not even a small rear suicide door would be acceptable.

Like I said it would be a good idea as long as it does not look anything like a Mustang and does not use the iconic name. This is a car that as defined a whole segment, the pony car, that the competition has done nothing but try to imitate for the last 42 years (a one car segment today, but in the past as much as seven competitors -- Mustang, Cougar, Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, Barracuda and Javelin--). You just can't add two more doors.

MaxLegroom
05-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Just like the Wrangler.

I believe that some people have an exaggerated idea of what they need in a car. I moved 99% of my stuff back from Ft. Bragg in a Chrysler Sebring coupe, and had moved it down there in a Le Baron convertible. My parents kept using a '68 VW Beetle for family trips to Rhode Island until I was in high school, and wore them down by coming back from car shows and any trip to a car dealership with a van brochure. There were no minivans back then.

As for that Sebring, it is often far more car than I personally need. I rarely have more than one other person in the car, and I don't usually carry a bunch of stuff around. I bet I am hardly alone in this.

As for the topic in hand, a four door Mustang would be a desecration beyond description, worse than the four door Charger, or Grand Prix for that matter. The Charger should never have been a two door, and with the Grand Prix, Pontiac went nowhere near far enough to make it a real answer to the Nissan Maxima, which is about the only way I could ever justify the existence of a four door GP. Just because that road has been travelled, doesn't mean Ford needs to go there.

The Interceptor is one of those magnificent ideas that Ford should build but, for the largest part, doesn't dare to. Like, say, the Lincoln Mark IX and Continetal concepts.

falcon lover
05-28-2007, 01:56 PM
The thousands Mustang owners and fans would be really pissed having their (our) beloved pony car turned into a sedan. Not even a small rear suicide door would be acceptable.

Like I said it would be a good idea as long as it does not look anything like a Mustang and does not use the iconic name. This is a car that as defined a whole segment, the pony car, that the competition has done nothing but try to imitate for the last 42 years (a one car segment today, but in the past as much as seven competitors -- Mustang, Cougar, Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, Barracuda and Javelin--). You just can't add two more doors.

I dont want a 4-door Mustang....i want a Mustang-based 4 door sport sedan, for the guys that like the pony car, but have a children......Dont put a Mustang name in a sedan...never