First Test: 2011 Ford Shelby GT350 Prototype [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: First Test: 2011 Ford Shelby GT350 Prototype

Sal Collaziano
09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
We drive many a Mustang. In fact, due to the seeming never-ending number of variants, we might test more Mustangs than anything else. Our intern is out mining salt (or equivalent) at the moment, so he can't check the truthiness of my assertion. But I'd bet money on it. Maybe only five bucks, but money just the same. The point is, we test a whole lot of them. And guess what? The Shelby GT350 is pretty dang fast. You might even say historically fast.

We'll get to just how fast momentarily, but first, let's discuss what constitutes the new GT350. It's based on the 2011 Mustang GT, the one with the 5.0-liter 32-valve V8 that lost a race around Streets of Willow by less than one-tenth of one second to a BMW M3 (America's M3?, October 2010). That's one heck of a starting platform for Shelby, says us. Add to that a Whipple supercharger, Borla exhaust, adjustable Ford Racing dampers, adjustable camber plates, a serious set of Baer 6-piston brakes up front, not to mention Eradispeed rotors out back, and you've got yourself a very serious recipe for some Shelby style butt-kicking.

You've also got a whole bunch of ground effects, a humongous power bulge atop the hood, a ducktail wing, reworked taillight surrounds, covers over the rear side windows, and a couple of unique GT350 badges. Plus there's those giant skunk stripes. The GT350 looks a touch boy-racerish; that's undeniable. Still, it's one of the very last cars you'd want to see in your rearview mirror. Let's just call the bodywork a bit much, though intimidating. As for the interior, Shelby slapped some blue leather over the black leather and stitched Carroll's signature into the head rests. Oh, there's a signed chassis plate in front of the shifter, too. Please note: The car we tested is a pre-production vehicle. The production car has different, better-integrated panels plus a different badge or two.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1009_2011_mustang_shelby_gt350_prototype_test/engine.html

SobeSVT
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
How is it that a thread about a test drive of an iconic Ford product ends up in the Competition Discussion"Other" - American Automakers Discussion???

Sal Collaziano
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't know but I posted it in the Suggest A News Article forum...

SobeSVT
09-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't know but I posted it in the Suggest A News Article forum...
Crazy!! LOL

Maybe the person that 'misplaced" the thread believes that Shelby American is important enough to consider it an "Other" American Automaker . . .

ausrutherford
09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
It was a tough call because its a Ford tuned by Shelby which is not owned by Ford. A toss-up so to speak.

Infact I believe a person has a buy a Mustang and then send it to Shelby to get it retrofitted.

SobeSVT
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
It was a tough call because its a Ford tuned by Shelby which is not owned by Ford. A toss-up so to speak.

Infact I believe a person has a buy a Mustang and then send it to Shelby to get it retrofitted.

Aus, its a Ford :)