Hyundai to be most American automaker by next year? [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Hyundai to be most American automaker by next year?

davidlane
10-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Which automaker do you think is the most "American"? Some might say Chevrolet, since they're the self-proclaimed Heartbeat of America. Others might say Ford since the Mustang is as iconic an American image as baseball and apple pie. What if we told you the answer might just be Hyundai? As of next year, 80 percent of the vehicles that Hyundai sells in the United States will be made here as well.

That number puts Hyundai above all other automakers in the United States. Ford and Chrysler don't have exact figures, but estimates for the two manufacturers puts them both below 80 percent as those two automakers assemble many of their popular vehicles in Canada and Mexico. General Motors says between 60 and 70 percent of vehicles sold in the United States are built here.

The numbers may be quite interesting, but of course they don't tell the whole story. The Big Three domestic automakers produce a much greater volume of vehicles in the United States when compared to Hyundai. For example, if GM built 66 percent of the vehicles it sold here in the states in 2009, it would triple Hyundai's projected U.S. output for next year.

These figures are also based solely on final assembly. This is important to note because the U.S.-based automakers routinely manufacturer portions of the car in the United States, but the final product might be assembled outside the country. Hyundai, on the other hand, does final assembly on 80 percent of its models, like the millionth vehicle built at its plant in Alabama seen above, right here in the U. S. of A.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/22/hyundai-to-be-most-american-automaker-by-next-year/

Link to CNN article:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/21/autos/hyundai_american_production/index.htm

2b2
10-22-2010, 06:45 PM
...The numbers may be quite interesting, but of course they don't tell the whole story...

...These figures are also based solely on final assembly...
imho
it would be interesting to find our where the people who make the most money at Hyundai LIVE, and presumably spend that money
&
final assembly imho is the bugbear for the Fusion, since a lot of parts are made in the U.S. but not counted as U.S. content since they're assembled in Mexico

then again
...Considering its fast-moving success in the American market, CNNMoney asked Hyundai Motor America chief John Krafcik if he feared a "buy American" backlash...answer:
Naaah. They're too Stupid, Broke, Apathetic, or ALL THREE.

ausrutherford
10-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Too bad these figures dont take into account where the profits go...

FordRacing88
10-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Personally I believe every job that GM, Ford, or Chrysler takes out of the country should cost them some sort of penalty. With the way OUR country is struggling it would be nice to see them bring the Fusion, Edge, and Flex production to the U.S. and help out the workers here. I was on the Ford lot the other day and I saw where the manual transmission in the Mustang is from China. Way to go Ford. First I bet that Transmission is probably a piece of junk, just like everything else that comes from over there, and I personally disagree with any company that does business with a Communist country. Granted we all buy China made junk because everything is made over there, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

New GM
10-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Too bad these figures dont take into account where the profits go...

Exactly!

Its funny how all these import lovers never ask this question...

Musclford
10-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Sure I want it built here too, but our great unions try to use their power to limit the effiency of production.... Force each other to get overtime... they won't do more than the shift prior than you, and be miffed at how much upper management makes....

So, we'll bitch and moan, cry why all the jobs are leaving the states for profits.. well if you think someone doing the same job everyday should be paid 25 dollars an hour, get full benefits, and a full pension, and then try to use the mass members to strong arm the companies for yet more and more.. Why wouldn't they outsource the jobs?

If the other manufacturers are going to find cheaper and cheaper sources, you surely have to do 1 of 2 things.... either oursource too so you can be competitive, or build some good ole patriotism and be proud you live in America and lets prove we can be cost competitve from this manufacturing base..

If Hyundai, can make their vehicles here, good for them... do they have thousands of retiree's to fund? I'm sure GM and Ford would be in a heck of alot better position too if they didn't have other costs....Granted, they should hold true and support their retiree's, but your not comparing apples to apples if you don't look at the big picture either....

We didn't win the wars, or even compete because we built a better tank.... The Tiger was far superior to a Sherman... but we could build 4 to 1..... and numbers prevailed...

I don't like CEO's making million upon millions... but I wouldn't want that job either....

I do think we could be cost competitive from the US, but sorry folks, the new generations don't want to work hard......(that's a generalization, not everyone) but we are a lazy country....

The bulk of our problems are from toooo big of government... officials getting pensions and benefits and pay that are so much higher then the average americans pay......and employees that feel they are just entitled!!

Make our congresses pay be 90% of the average american's pay.... and a reduction to that amount for the amount drawing public aid...and welfare....

We are taxed and regulated to DEATH. Go and try to start a new company... the insurance alone will kill you..

Our judicial system has taken accountability and thrown it out the window... if you cut yourself with a knife, it's not the Knife manufacturers fault folks...

If you auto rolls because your tires are underinflated because you don't like the ride.. It's your fault....

If you fall down and slip on a wet floor in a store...because it's raining outiside or snowing.. It's your fault......, It by God is not the stores liability.

If you get in debt because you have to keep up with the Jones's and use credit cards, it's your fault... you should lose your house, your car, etc... It's your fault!!!!!!!

If someone hits you cuz they crossed the centerline, it's not 25% your fault for being there... It's there fault!!!!

No one wants to take ownership or accountability for anything.. it's always someone elses fault.