LAIAS 2010: 2012 Buick Lacrosse eAssist (Hybrid) [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: LAIAS 2010: 2012 Buick Lacrosse eAssist (Hybrid)

ausrutherford
11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist achieves up to 37 mpg highway
by Steven J. Ewing
Nov 15th 2010
Autoblog.com (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/15/2012-buick-lacrosse-eassist-achieves-up-to-37-m/)

Think of this as a Buick LaCrosse Hybrid. General Motors' new eAssist technology employs a 115-volt lithium-ion battery and 15-kilowatt electric motor to increase fuel economy by 25 percent compared to today's four-cylinder LaCrosse. This means the Buick sedan will achieve an estimated 25/37 miles per gallon (city/highway).

During initial acceleration, the electric motor delivers 15 horsepower and 79 pound-feet of torque to get the LaCrosse moving. A torque-smoothing function is activated as the gasoline engine is turned on, and the eAssist system kicks back on during deceleration, using a fuel shut-off feature and regenerative braking, combined with a start/stop system for the 2.4-liter gasoline engine. At full tilt, the gas engine produces 182 hp and 172 lb-ft of twist to keep things moving along at speed, and is mated to GM's Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic transmission.

Full text at link

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/11/lacrosseeassist630.jpg

Andrew L
11-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Nice idea... I would like to see Ford come out with something similar

ndwariga
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
The disaster that was the BAS I system seems to be avoided, if they avoid pushing it as a 'Hybrid'. The improvement over BAS I is evident. The Pricing is certainly quite convincing.
Buick should probably consider adding this system to the Regal as standard due to lack of V6 offerings.

SobeSVT
11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. BAS I was and still is a great idea, ruined by awful marketing.

This one should do better . . . I hope

ndwariga
11-15-2010, 11:16 AM
The first step in marketing is not calling it Hybrid. They are not. That is a good sign. But GM is excellent at screwed up marketing despite exceptional engineers. Did you see the messed up volt dance? It had Oxy written all over it.

I said it before and I'll say it again. BAS I was and still is a great idea, ruined by awful marketing.

This one should do better . . . I hope

SobeSVT
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
The Volt is a prime example of great engineering botched by horrible marketing, and believe me the Volt Dance is the least of their problems.

jaydee
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I tried defending it when it was still available, but looking back, the original BAS wasn't a great product in it's original form. Forget the marketing, the mileage just wasn't there for $2-3k price markup (especially considering the questionable longevity of the batteries). This "eAssist" looks very promising, both in it's name and engineer-wise. Good fuel economy gains, for a still small price. Offering it standard in the I-4 Buick is a great move as it creates some space price-wise with the lower Regal and gives it a premium technology. All very good moves by GM. Consumers and fleets alike are going to love this vehicle as long as the quality of the orginal 2010 LaCrosse is there in all regards.

New GM
11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow very impressive! I really hope this system makes it into the new Malibu... That would be very exciting.

Imagine the Cruze with this thing... 50-55 mpg highway wouldn't be out of the question.

If marketed right, this system will be a big success for GM.

ausrutherford
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow very impressive! I really hope this system makes it into the new Malibu... That would be very exciting.

Imagine the Cruze with this thing... 50 mpg highway wouldn't be out of the question...

The question is would they for the Cruze. I could see them not doing it for they might think it would step on the Volt's feet.

New GM
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
The question is would they for the Cruze. I could see them not doing it for they might think it would step on the Volt's feet.

That is a good point, should be interesting to see what they do.

I am very interested and excited to see what cars GM is bringing this technology too... The Malibu and Regal are a must..

Is there anyway they could throw this into the Equinox? That would be amazing....

jaydee
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM

I don't think a Cruze+eAssist would have any danger of knocking off Volt sales (GM will have no problems keeping up with Volt's demand given its low volume for the first few years). That being said, GM has so much invested in the Cruze as-is, I don't think they'd try to squeeze an eAssist in with the development dollars it would cost to get it there mid-cycle. The next-gen Malibu however, still in development would be a perfect match. $25k for a 30/40mpg mid-sizer? That would be very impressive and judging by LaCrosse's projected mpg and pricing, quite attainable as well.

New GM
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think a Cruze+eAssist would have any danger of knocking off Volt sales (GM will have no problems keeping up with Volt's demand given its low volume for the first few years). That being said, GM has so much invested in the Cruze as-is, I don't think they'd try to squeeze an eAssist in with the development dollars it would cost to get it there mid-cycle. The next-gen Malibu however, still in development would be a perfect match. $25k for a 30/40mpg mid-sizer? That would be very impressive and judging by LaCrosse's projected mpg and pricing, quite attainable as well.

Yes! Couldn't agree more... I would be very shocked and disappointed if this technology doesn;t find its way into the new Malibu...

Tahoe
11-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think a Cruze+eAssist would have any danger of knocking off Volt sales (GM will have no problems keeping up with Volt's demand given its low volume for the first few years). That being said, GM has so much invested in the Cruze as-is, I don't think they'd try to squeeze an eAssist in with the development dollars it would cost to get it there mid-cycle. The next-gen Malibu however, still in development would be a perfect match. $25k for a 30/40mpg mid-sizer? That would be very impressive and judging by LaCrosse's projected mpg and pricing, quite attainable as well.I hope that the old school thinking of this or that brands feet is gone within GM. If this would be useful on the Cruze, it should be rolled out on the Cruze. Having driven a 4 banger equinox, I can say with confindence that it could use the torque on the low end.

igotzzoom
11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Nice idea... I would like to see Ford come out with something similar

Umm...isn't it called the Fusion Hybrid? :)

2b2
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
...if they avoid pushing it as a 'Hybrid'.
The first step in marketing is not calling it Hybrid. They are not...
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gifhttp://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif
Imho a hybrid is a vehicle that uses 2 forms of propulsion
or
Did "hybrid" just become a dirty/lame word in SoCal after I left?

"..."The battery system is designed to provide power assistance to the internal combustion engine, rather than storing energy for all-electric propulsion," said Poulos. "It's really an extension of the conventional internal combustion engine, not a replacement for it."...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/11/lacrosseeassist630.jpg
Anyone else think this drivetrain would be PERFECT if the electro-drive motors were at the REAR wheels...
...providing Awd with a "virtual transmission": just wires for computerized co-ordination???
(I've been thinking of this for quite awhile - now have 6 'modes' on my v4wd wish list)

Andrew L
11-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Isn't that the rumor on what ford was working on for the next Focus? RWD Electric, FWD Gas?

jaydee
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I hope that the old school thinking of this or that brands feet is gone within GM. If this would be useful on the Cruze, it should be rolled out on the Cruze. Having driven a 4 banger equinox, I can say with confindence that it could use the torque on the low end.

But the development costs to get the eAssist on the Cruze for only 2-3 years isn't worth it. Without being able to spread out the development costs over the whole product cycle is going to make the price jump well beyond what the car is worth to the consumer and then have to face "GM can't make an affordable hybrid, blah, blah, blah" and get all sort of bad press. Either that or sell the car at a loss. Which do you prefer?

The reason they can do it on the LaCrosse mid-cycle is because it's replacing the 4-cyl gas-only entirely (simplifying the build process considerably), plus the large car - premium brand can absorb the cost better than a Chevy compact.

2b2
11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Isn't that the rumor on what ford was working on for the next Focus? RWD Electric, FWD Gas?
I haven't seen that rumor, Andrew, Link???
in fact
the only Mfg I heard of doing this so far is Nissan - think it was a non-U.S. model & I've never researched it.
IF they do that for the Focus .... anyone need a kidney?

SullyND
11-16-2010, 05:06 PM

I'd actually heard the opposite, a means to make a RWD car have AWD capability.

ausrutherford
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
The Focus RS is getting rear wheel well hybrid motors.

2b2
11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
The Focus RS is getting rear wheel well hybrid motors.
yeahBut
there's no way I'd want performance (or costs) as high as the RS
(do you know if the electric motors are supposed to be rear only??)

I'm more interested in a super-hybrid: maybe 1 liter EB & equally strong battery+Emotors & plug-in
and having Awd capability (not nec. all the time)
and having as much room inside as possible (no driveshaft to rear)
and having an extremely weight-balanced car (v.small ICE up front; battery & motors in rear)((I *like* twisties))

Andrew L
11-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I haven't seen that rumor, Andrew, Link???
in fact
the only Mfg I heard of doing this so far is Nissan - think it was a non-U.S. model & I've never researched it.
IF they do that for the Focus .... anyone need a kidney?

it was on GMI, I could have sworn you posted the link to it as well

it was that AWD hybrid for the Focus RS or something, where the electric motor would power the rear wheels and so on

2b2
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
it was on GMI, I could have sworn you posted the link to it as well

it was that AWD hybrid for the Focus RS or something, where the electric motor would power the rear wheels and so on
hmm - oops - blush
that's quite possible

in explanation, like I was sorta saying above - a Super-high-performance version doesn't mean much to me (imho Ferarris, Lambos, etc are boring & rather distasteful)
so I just wouldn't 'file' the RS in my (real)cars mental file cabinet http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif