Ford begins search for post-Mulally CEO: source [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford begins search for post-Mulally CEO: source

11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
By Jeremy Korzeniewski RSS feed

Posted Nov 28th 2011 2:00PM

How do you replace the man credited by Time Magazine with managing "the biggest business turnaround of the Great Recession?" That's a very good question, and one that the Ford board of directors is grappling with as company CEO Alan Mulally edges closer to retirement age.

At 66, Mulally isn't exactly far past his prime, and Executive Chairman Bill Ford is said to be in no hurry to welcome in a successor. That said, the timing of Mulally's exit from Ford is likely to be a determining factor in the decision to hire his replacement.

Current CFO Lewis Booth, at 63 years of age, could potentially hold the seat at the head of Ford for a few years if Mulally were to retire earlier than expected. If that doesn't happen, Mark Fields, Ford's President of the Americas, is cited as the most likely choice as its next CEO.

There are two other potential candidates, reports Automotive News. Jim Farley, vice president of global marketing, is on the short list, as is Joe Hinrichs, who heads Ford's Asia Pacific and African operations.

Insiders suggest that Ford may choose to keep Alan Mulally on its payroll in some unknown capacity to help mentor his replacement. Such a move could potentially keep both the rank-and-file Ford workers and Wall Street investors satiated.

11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I personally think Mark Fields should take the position.

11-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Derrick Kuzak should be a choice also.

11-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Derrick Kuzak should be a choice also.

Kusak, though he is one of the best at he does, probably shouldn't be used because he not very energetic. Mulally has really set a standard to have a PR-centered CEO.

11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Kusak, though he is one of the best at he does, probably shouldn't be used because he not very energetic. Mulally has really set a standard to have a PR-centered CEO.

I rather see him mentioned than Lewis Booth.

11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
imho (rather ignorant 'O' I admit)
Mark Fields could handle the 'rough stuff' tho maybe not with keeping morale as high tho he is a carguy in some ways afaik
Derrick Kuzak seems "too nice" or soft-spoken, almost shy ... on the outside

imho 'ALL' they need is someone who can keep
- the organization rational ie not going back to fiefdoms
- the talent-cream rising to the top & the cruds going to foreign mfgs
- the Team enthusiastic
- Wall Street types reasonably happy/bamboozled
being a car guy is NOT a requirement

11-28-2011, 09:51 PM
They are both great guys. Both would do a great job. I wouldn't mind seeing either one as CEO. They have the most experience with Ford Motor Co.

11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Mark Fields would be great with a lot of experience. He led Mazda's turn around about a decade ago.
He has really impressed me through the years, and he loves communication.

12-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Ford begins search for post-Mulally CEO: source
By Kevin Krolicki and Ben Klayman
Dec 6, 2011
Yahoo (

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (NYSE:F - NewsF.N) has begun considering successors for Alan Mulally, the chief executive credited with turning around the No. 2 U.S. automaker over the past five years, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.
Ford executives Mark Fields, Jim Farley and Joe Hinrichs have been seen as potential internal candidates to succeed Mulally when he retires. Executive Chairman Bill Ford has repeatedly said he wants the next CEO to come from within Ford's executive ranks.
Earlier this month, Ford executives met with Phil Martens, chief executive of aluminum products maker Novelis (:NVLXC.ULNVLXC.UL), as part of an early-stage process of looking at external options, said the source, who declined to be named because the process is private and preliminary. Novelis is the U.S. unit of India's largest aluminum producer HindalCo Industries Ltd (:HALC.NSHALC.NS).
Ford spokeswoman Karen Hampton said Ford does not have a search underway for a successor to Mulally.
Martens declined to address any meeting, saying: "I'm sure Ford Motor Company will do what's best for Ford."
Identifying Mulally's successor is crucial for Ford because the 66-year-old executive is so closely identified with the company's success and its avoidance of the federal bailouts that rescued its U.S. competitors.
Mulally joined Ford in 2006 from airplane maker Boeing (NYSE:BA - NewsBA.N) and is credited with steering the automaker back from brink of bankruptcy with $23 billion in borrowing and a plan, dubbed "One Ford," to simplify and unify product development and supplies.
The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the CEO search, cited unnamed sources saying Mulally was expected to retire within two years. Bill Ford has said he wants Mulally to remain on the job for as long as he is willing.

Full text at link

12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Jim Farley presents a terrible image for Ford. I hope it's not him.

12-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Jim Farley presents a terrible image for Ford. I hope it's not him.

Id bet an arm that its Fields.

12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
A Ford spokeswoman said there is no search underway.

Chairman Bill Ford Jr. has repeatedly said the company would like to fill the position from within. Mr. Mulally and Mr. Ford declined to be interviewed on the matter, but Mr. Ford said in a written response to questions: "At Ford, we are fortunate to have a strong list of internal candidates and the Board is pleased to support their further development. While our preference always will be to develop talent internally, we also survey the external environment for potential candidates as a regular course of action."

All the top candidates have a good resumé. Mr. Martens led product development for Ford until 2005, when he left the company. He was at former auto supplier ArvinMeritor Inc. before joining Novelis. Mr. Krafcik worked in product development for Ford for 14 years before leaving in 2004 to join Hyundai.

Mr. Fields leads Ford's North and South American operations, now the principal profit center at the company. He led the recent turnaround of North America and overcame early troubles to become one of Mr. Mulally's top lieutenants. Mr. Hinrichs worked atGeneral Motors Co. before joining Ford. He was in charge of manufacturing before being put in charge of Asia two years ago.

12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Why would they be looking for a Mullaly replacement NOW???

Mullaly will be around till Lincoln is fully remade and back in the spotlight........AT THE MINIMUM.

12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
imho any well-run business of sufficient size has on-going discussions of how to best use the talents of its employees - esp its execs

also imho, there is No Way those discussions will be able to leak before the company chooses to let the news out

so this is either raw speculation or planned publicity
NEITHER of which have any real bearing on the outcome...

...that's not to say it's wrong

12-21-2011, 10:59 PM
considered posting this separately but the topics covered are pretty general
could be looked at (by me) as Mark Fields publicly 'auditioning' for the top job

Mark Fields on "Autoline This Week" (

^ imho he did good

02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Ford’s Mr. Inside, in Sight of the Crown - NYTimes
Published: February 18, 2012 (
...The Ford Motor Company, his employer for the last 23 years, is in the midst of a remarkable turnaround. Since the American auto industry’s big wreck in 2008, Ford has reported 10 consecutive profitable quarters. And Ford, the only one of Detroit’s Big Three that wasn’t bailed out by taxpayers, has steadily gained market share with each new product it has introduced. To top it off, the biggest contributor to this comeback, by far, is Mr. Fields’s business unit, which encompasses all of Ford’s manufacturing and sales in North and South America...

...“We do have a lot to celebrate, and we have a wonderful opportunity to take the business to the next level,” Mr. Fields said in an interview just before the meeting. “The key is not getting — and I hate this word — complacent.”...

...So instead of opening his weekly management session that February morning with a glowing recap of Ford’s $8.8 billion operating profit for 2011, he instead passed out a sheaf of news reports casting doubt on its future, including one headlined, “Are Ford’s Best Days Behind Them?"

And while Ford’s global operating margins were a relatively healthy 6 percent in 2011, they fell far short of the 9 percent at rivals like Volkswagen and Hyundai. Among all automakers, Ford ranked only sixth in profits earned on each vehicle sold.

“No one wants to say, ‘We’re No. 6,’ ” said Amit Singhi, the Americas division controller.

That’s exactly the message that Mr. Fields wanted to drive home. With its international operations struggling, Ford urgently needs better margins from its core business in the United States to continue to grow. Its impressive recovery, he said, will mean little if results plateau now.

“All the hard work has gotten us to this point,” he said. “It’s like we’ve gotten to base camp on Mount Everest, and now we have to climb the mountain.”...

...the retirements of Mr. Booth, 63, and Mr. Kuzak, 60, who have been instrumental in Ford’s recovery, are the first signs of a changing of the guard...

...During a wide-ranging interview, Mr. Fields frowns only when asked about his chances to run Ford after Mr. Mulally. “Very simply, my ambition is just to contribute as much as I can to the profitable growth of Ford, and that means running the Americas,” he said. “Otherwise you get distracted. And I’m not going to allow that to happen.”...

MORE of long article (

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[ FiN sidebar ]
Will Bill Ford Jr never be CEO again? (