Chevy Volt: Motor Trend Car of the Year! [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Chevy Volt: Motor Trend Car of the Year!

falcon lover
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Volt is Motor Trend Car of the Year and Automobile magazine car of the year, too!!.

here the link: http://detnews.com/article/20101116/AUTO01/11160384/1148/auto01/GM-s-Volt-named-2011-Motor-Trend-Car-of-the-Year

This magazine car of the year have good choices and some mistakes, like the Chevy Vega in 1971, or the Renault Alliance in 1983. Is this a good choice? Will be a good car the Chevy Volt??

ausrutherford
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
The Chevy Volt

2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Chevrolet Volt
A Car of the Future You Can Drive Today
By Angus MacKenzie
January, 2011 issue
Motor Trend (http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1101_2011_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_chevrolet_vo lt/index.html)

"I expected a science fair experiment. But this is a moonshot."

Chris Theodore is a wily veteran of the auto business, a seasoned development engineer whose impressive resume includes vehicles as thoughtfully executed as the Chrysler minivan and as tightly focused as the Ford GT.

As one of the consultant judges on this year's COTY panel, Chris brought the deep insight and professional skepticism you'd expect of someone who's spent his entire working life making cars. But our 2011 Car of the Year, Chevrolet's ground-breaking Volt, has blown him away.

"This is a fully developed vehicle with seamlessly integrated systems and software, a real car that provides a unique driving experience. And commuters may never need to buy gas!"

Like all of us on the staff at Motor Trend, Chris is an enthusiast, a man who'll keep a thundering high-performance V-8 in his garage no matter how high gas prices go. But he nailed the Volt's place in automotive history: "If this is the brave new world, then it's an acceptable definition."

In the 61-year history of the Car of the Year award, there have been few contenders as hyped -- or as controversial -- as the Chevrolet Volt. The Volt started life an Old GM project, then arrived fully formed as a symbol of New GM, carrying all the emotional and political baggage of that profound and painful transition. As a result, a lot of the sound and fury that has surrounded the Volt's launchhas tended to obscure a simple truth: This automobile is a game-changer.

Full text at the link

New GM
11-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Good! I'm shocked MT got it right, but they sure as hell did! Congrats GM! The Volt is a vehicle every American should be proud of.

I would have puked if they gave it to the Fiesta or Sonata over an engineering masterpiece like the Volt...

SobeSVT
11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Completely deserved! Lets hope the gurus at GM marketing doesn't butch this launch.

Wasn't the Aura also a Motor trend COTY at some point?

ausrutherford
11-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Completely deserved! Lets hope the gurus at GM marketing doesn't butch this launch.

Wasn't the Aura also a Motor trend COTY at some point?

Aura was the North American Car of the year.

jaydee
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
From an engineering standpoint, I feel it's completely deserved. However, I do feel a little uneasy about the Volt getting the award given the low volumes, specific markets for the first year. But if the Ford Transit Connect (MT or NAIAS TOTY ?) was eligible under largely the same circumstances, than the Volt should be as well. I'd just rather see these kind of awards go to more mainstream vehicles in general. It's like seeing the American League rookie of the year award going to a relief pitcher...

SobeSVT
11-16-2010, 09:44 AM
From an engineering standpoint, I feel it's completely deserved. However, I do feel a little uneasy about the Volt getting the award given the low volumes, specific markets for the first year. But if the Ford Transit Connect (MT or NAIAS TOTY ?) was eligible under largely the same circumstances, than the Volt should be as well. I'd just rather see these kind of awards go to more mainstream vehicles in general. It's like seeing the American League rookie of the year award going to a relief pitcher...
I have no problems with the Volt wining the award, it more than deserves it. It may not be a high volume seller but it sure as heck is a game changer and is an American engineering triumph despite GM's marketing repeated efforts to screw it over.

ausrutherford
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
It's a better choice than the GT-R

ndwariga
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
This is absolutely deserved. They were called on it by Toyota's last CEO who said it was a waste of time. It was indeed a moon shot and it speaks volumes to American Eugenius spirit. Job well done.

New GM
11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Im so happy MT had the foresight too look past this "GM lied" bull**** and see the Volt for how amazing of a car it really is!

where are all the Vapor Volt people now?

SobeSVT
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Im so happy MT had the foresight too look past this "GM lied" bull**** and see the Volt for how amazing of a car it really is!

where are all the Vapor Volt people now?
Don't get over your head, this is more like winning Miss America contest.

The Motor Trend award does not neutralize the horrible marketing or GM lies, and the fact that the car is NOT a pure EV. The criticism never meant that the Volt was a bad car, only that GM doesn't know how to market it. Maybe this award and Motor trend's sister publication Automobile Magazine's Automobile of the Year award which is going to be announced any time now for the Volt too, will give GM the confidence it needs not to screw up the Volt.

New GM
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't get over your head, this is more like winning Miss America contest. The Motor Trend award does not neutralize the horrible marketing or GM lies, and the fact that the car is NOT a pure EV. The criticism never meant that the Volt was a bad car, only that GM doesn't know how to market it. Maybe this award and Motor trend's sister publication Automobile Magazine's Automobile of the Year award which is going to be announced any time now for the Volt too, will give GM the confidence it needs not to screw up the Volt.

Hmmm, you didn't seem to think this way a year ago when the Fusion Hybrid and TC won....

SobeSVT
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, you didn't seem to think this way a year ago when the Fusion Hybrid and TC won....
Care to post a quote?

Anyway, you don't even know what you are talking about (for a change) It wasn't Motor Trend who awarded those two, that was the way more prestigious North American Car of the Year and North American Truck of the Year awarded by the press during NAIAS in Detroit.

Actually I don't even remember who won Motor Trend's Truck of the Year last year, I know it wasn't the TC. And it wasn't the Fusion Hybrid the one that won MT's COTY last year but the entire Fusion line (same for NACOTY).

I think though that the Volt has a strong change and all the credential to go home with the NACOTY award, it would only be fair . . . . despite GM's lies.

jaydee
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM
blah, blah, blah
Because clearly, the only difference between the Fiesta and the Volt is the price and fuel economy...

I really hope you copied and pasted that from somewhere else and didn't write all that up yourself.

Tahoe
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Laserwizard, you need to leave the land of OZ. This is first generation technology.

New GM
11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Must have been a rough day for ya buddy...

o yea, Volt wins another...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/16/2011-chevrolet-volt-wins-automobile-magazine-automobile-of-the-y/

Extreme4x4
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Good for the Volt. It couldn't have gone to any other car, as that would almost have been criminal. :)

2b2
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The vehicle is not even for sale. It should not even qualify.

Now let's look at this VaporVolt with clear eyes, instead of heads up the arses...
Laserwizard, I appreciate your detailed post
&
also have qualms about the Volt qualifying for inclusion THIS year.

My main differences I guess are that I don't look for cost/savings being a main reason for considering a hybrid - that'd be
- wanting to buy less gas - esp from foreign oil
- wanting to have & support this developing technology
+
hybrids areN'T for everyone...

...in my previous living situation the Volt would have been PERFECT tho
7 miles each way commute, all surface streets
plus the ability to use my One Car for occasional 1000 mile roundtrip road trips

3Mach1
11-17-2010, 01:42 PM
No big surprise here to me at all. It was a no brainer. Its a neat idea for sure. However, I cant get past the price and the scenario lazerwizard gave. There is no business case to be made for the Volt. It will sell Im sure to those who can afford one who want to make a statement. I just dont think its for the masses when the Cruze, Corolla, Focus and others are now getting good mileage and they are relatively cheap compared to the Volt. Good job to GM though for pushing it through. Its certainly thinking outside the box and they deserve credit.

New GM
11-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Care to post a quote?

Anyway, you don't even know what you are talking about (for a change) It wasn't Motor Trend who awarded those two, that was the way more prestigious North American Car of the Year and North American Truck of the Year awarded by the press during NAIAS in Detroit.

Actually I don't even remember who won Motor Trend's Truck of the Year last year, I know it wasn't the TC. And it wasn't the Fusion Hybrid the one that won MT's COTY last year but the entire Fusion line (same for NACOTY).

I think though that the Volt has a strong change and all the credential to go home with the NACOTY award, it would only be fair . . . . despite GM's lies.

OK, so your telling me you would have made your "Miss America" comments if the Fiesta won? Sorry, but I don't believe that. If the Fiesta had won, this would have been the greatest honor in the world...

SobeSVT
11-18-2010, 05:33 AM
OK, so your telling me you would have made your "Miss America" comments if the Fiesta won? Sorry, but I don't believe that. If the Fiesta had won, this would have been the greatest honor in the world...
Its going to be a little bit tough to proof that, won't it? Because it didn't happen, did it? Hey I am glad for GM. God knows they need all the help they can get right now, anyway they can get it . . .

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/271/screenshot20101118at740.png

Isn't she lovely?

New GM
11-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Its going to be a little bit tough to proof that, won't it? Because it didn't happen, did it? Hey I am glad for GM. God knows they need all the help they can get right now, anyway they can get it . . .

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/271/screenshot20101118at740.png

Isn't she lovely?

O please... I remeber how you were when the Fusion won this award in 2009, You were acting as if this was the greatest thing in the world and such a huge honor. But now when a GM product wins, you have to throw in backhanded comments and all of sudden the award doesn't mean as much... The hypocrisy is strong in you my friend.

GM keeps bringing out products like this, they won't need help from anyone...

SobeSVT
11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
O please... I remeber how you were when the Fusion won this award in 2009, You were acting as if this was the greatest thing in the world and such a huge honor. But now when a GM product wins, you have to throw in backhanded comments and all of sudden the award doesn't mean as much... The hypocrisy is strong in you my friend.

GM keeps bringing out products like this, they won't need help from anyone...
You remember? . . . . that is flattering. It seems you spend more time thinking about me that I will ever spend thinking about . . . anything.

I remember being very happy about the double whammy in the Detroit Auto Show, but I have been very skeptical about Motor Trend. But since I was banned by the 300lbs moderator there I have no way to look it up and confirm. I would love you to post a quote with a link of me saying that Motor Trend's award was an "honor". I wouldn't be able to follow the link, but everyone else could.

You are right about the Volt, though. A stream of cars like it would ensure GM's survival at least mid-term, but for every Volt there is a Cruze, for every Camaro there is an Aveo . . . for every LaCrosse there is a Regal and for every CTS there is a STS. They still have a long way to go.

Chester
11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
No big surprise here to me at all. It was a no brainer. Its a neat idea for sure. However, I cant get past the price and the scenario lazerwizard gave. There is no business case to be made for the Volt. It will sell Im sure to those who can afford one who want to make a statement. I just dont think its for the masses when the Cruze, Corolla, Focus and others are now getting good mileage and they are relatively cheap compared to the Volt. Good job to GM though for pushing it through. Its certainly thinking outside the box and they deserve credit.

Like any new technology, the cost will always be high in the beginning, and then come down. Look at the crazy prices people are paying for the 3d TV's. Now that's plain nuts.

I'm glad the Volt won myself. It is the way of the future for hybrids in my mind.

3Mach1
11-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Like any new technology, the cost will always be high in the beginning, and then come down. Look at the crazy prices people are paying for the 3d TV's. Now that's plain nuts.

I'm glad the Volt won myself. It is the way of the future for hybrids in my mind.

Thats true but those tv's didnt have a tax subsidy for them to sell. I think we have given enough already. The volts a remarkable car so let it stand on its own.

New GM
11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
You remember? . . . . that is flattering. It seems you spend more time thinking about me that I will ever spend thinking about . . . anything.

I remember being very happy about the double whammy in the Detroit Auto Show, but I have been very skeptical about Motor Trend. But since I was banned by the 300lbs moderator there I have no way to look it up and confirm. I would love you to post a quote with a link of me saying that Motor Trend's award was an "honor". I wouldn't be able to follow the link, but everyone else could.

You are right about the Volt, though. A stream of cars like it would ensure GM's survival at least mid-term, but for every Volt there is a Cruze, for every Camaro there is an Aveo . . . for every LaCrosse there is a Regal and for every CTS there is a STS. They still have a long way to go.

How could anyone forget? you wouldn't shut up about it...And just because you are skeptical of Motor Trend means absolutely nothing in the big picture...Most of the car buying public sees the MT car of the year as the best award a new car could recieve... Auto enthusiasts know it doesn't hold as much weight (I mean my god, the TC won...) But the regular buying public (which is probably 85-90% of the market) see's this as a great award and accomplishment...

whats wrong with the Cruze? its been a hit in almost every market its been released in... I don't think the US will be any different... And have you seen the New Aveo? its pretty damn nice, and worlds better then the old one... I don't think the Aveo hatch is nicer looking then the Fiesta hatch, but the Aveo Sedan is better looking then the Fiesta sedan, which happens to look like ass...

Andrew L
11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
How could anyone forget? you wouldn't shut up about it...And just because you are skeptical of Motor Trend means absolutely nothing in the big picture...Most of the car buying public sees the MT car of the year as the best award a new car could recieve... Auto enthusiasts know it doesn't hold as much weight (I mean my god, the TC won...) But the regular buying public (which is probably 85-90% of the market) see's this as a great award and accomplishment...

whats wrong with the Cruze? its been a hit in almost every market its been released in... I don't think the US will be any different... And have you seen the New Aveo? its pretty damn nice, and worlds better then the old one... I don't think the Aveo hatch is nicer looking then the Fiesta hatch, but the Aveo Sedan is better looking then the Fiesta sedan, which happens to look like ass...

Transit Connect never won Motor Trend Truck of the Year.... I have the issue where they had the TC and they awarded the To the Ram HD

I think you are thinking of the North American Truck of the Year award

SobeSVT
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM

You are so full of yourself that you don't read, do you? There are two different MAJOR North American Awards, Motor Trend Car of the Year and the North American Car and Truck of the Year awarded during the Detroit Autoshow (and then there is some other crap no one cares about like Automobile Magazine award. The former one is decided behind close doors by Motor Trend and the second one is awarded by a panel of specialized auto journalists during the NAIAS.

Like I clearly explained you in post 13 (http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?6684-Chevy-Volt-Motor-Trend-Car-of-the-Year!&p=38145#post38145) and mentioned again in post 24 (http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?6684-Chevy-Volt-Motor-Trend-Car-of-the-Year!&p=38299#post38299), the Transit Connect didn't win Motor Trend's truck of the year, it Won the North America Truck of the Year.

See?

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2957/screenshot20101118at311k.png

Are you really that dense or are you just pretending not to read or understand for the sake of causing trouble. And how can you remember my reaction at something that . . . never happened? LOL

Transit Connect never won Motor Trend Truck of the Year.... I have the issue where they had the TC and they awarded the To the Ram HD

ausrutherford
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

He was refering to the Town Car...but it won in 1990.

SobeSVT
11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
He was refering to the Town Car...but it won in 1990.
No, he was referring to the Transit Connect. He has been doing it during the entire thread.

falcon lover
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Another fail for Motor Trend... The Volt is a big flop. Read this article...http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/23/some-chevy-dealers-rejecting-further-volt-allocations/

Neither customers or Chevy dealers want this car... poor GM

TurboS40
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
....developed with our tax dollars.... does this mean we all get to have a huge write-off on our tax return?

Perhaps this thing should have a name change to Corvair or Vega or Citation.

arveejay
01-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Same old GM junk, from the same old GM. Looks good sitting on the showroom floor, then you buy it and are stuck with the bitter taste of a ripe yellow lemon.

3Mach1
01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
The only people buying this car is the goverment which is like buying from yourself. You cant make a business case for it. This is not brain surgery. The goverment should be buying Fiestas, Cruze, Sonics ect..... Yet again, they blow our money on something that costs us all more in the long run. If the rich tree huggers want to buy one then let them pay full price. I am personally sick and tired of my tax dollars going to subsidize this green energy bull crap.