Ford Inside News banner

Next Viper Goes Dodge-less

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cire_1wb 
#1 ·
2013 Viper ditches the Dodge name
WCF

The 2013 Viper is one of the most anticipated supercars in recent memory and Chrysler has confirmed it will become the first SRT-branded product.

While there have been SRT variants before - like the Chrysler 300C SRT8 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 - the next-generation Viper will drop the Dodge name and be officially known as the SRT Viper.

Besides announcing the name change, Chrysler confirmed the model will be built in Detroit at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant. Production is scheduled to begin in late 2012 and the plant's reopening is expected to create 150 jobs.

Full text at link

#2 ·
So they kill Plymouth and Eagle in the past 10-15 years but then create Ram and SRT (as its own brand)??

#4 ·
I think Sergio hates Dodge.
I think the same thing. I thought I heard something about Sergio wanting to phase out Dodge but who knows could have just been someone talking out of their ***, but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if that does happen.

#5 ·
I think the same thing. I thought I heard something about Sergio wanting to phase out Dodge but who knows could have just been someone talking out of their ***, but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if that does happen.
Just look at this:

Breaks off Ram
Gives Euro sales to Fiat
Kills Caravan
Gives Viper to SRT

#6 ·
I don't think Sergio is trying to kill Dodge. I think he is assigning vehicles to brands based on his perception of what the brand represents in the market.

I think the next gen Viper is being reassigned to a spun off SRT brand because he views Dodge as sporty, but more affordable and mainstream. The Viper has never been affordable and mainstream. I think the new gen Viper will be SRT's sole brand exclusive model that will be utilized to establish the brand values and image of the spun off SRT brand. All the rest of the brand's vehicles will be tuned versions of the other brand's vehicles. Basically, the spun off SRT brand will represent more expensive vehicles aimed at the enthusiast with the money to afford something more sporty and customized than a mainstream vehicle. Do I agree or think it's necessary to spin off SRT and reassign the Viper to the new standalone brand, I'm not sure. What I presented is what I believe to be the reasoning behind the strategy.

I think Sergio views Dodge as a mainstream brand with a hip and sporty edge. I think this is why Dodge is carrying the Dart. It appears as though the Dart will possibly be a large compact/entry midsize mainstream sedan with a sporty design and demeanor, which fits in with the core values of the Dodge brand. I'm not sure why the brand would continue to offer mainstream crossovers, except that I'm guessing that Sergio thinks that CUVs have a hip image with the buying public.

As far as the Chrysler brand: I think Sergio views Chrysler as a more family oriented brand that has the ability to cover everything from mainstream to entry luxury. I think all the brand's future vehicles will be family oriented and will offer trim levels that will allow the vehicles to be optioned to be more affordable and mainstream or more expensive and entry luxury. I believe this is why Chrysler will offer a next gen 200 midsize sedan (if the "200" name carries over to the replacement) and a next gen Town & Country minivan; I think Sergio believes that these 2 segments (midsize sedan and minivan) are more family oriented. Reports indicate that Chrysler is supposed to carry a "sort of hatchback" compact vehicle also; I think this vehicle will be a "tweener" type of vehicle that straddles the line between a 5-door hatchback and a MPV and it will be marketed as a family oriented segment buster. I think Sergio is basing the assignment of this compact segment buster to the Chrysler brand on the fact that the PT Cruiser was a initial success for Chrysler when it was launched (of course, the Daimler dominated era of Chrysler allowed it to grow stale and outdated).

Jeep will possibly become more upscale and focus on its off road image. Traditional SUV design may inspire all future vehicle designs, although the majority of the brand's vehicles will actually be CUVs. Basically, Jeep's vehicles will be differentiated from Dodge brand crossovers by design, image, and positioning. Dodge crossovers will be more carlike and mainstream while Jeep's vehicles will be more SUV-like (at least in appearance and off-road capability) and more upscale. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

RAM will focus on trucks and commercial vehicles.

I'm still unsure if I think it is necessary to spin off RAM or SRT. Ford and Chevrolet offer tuned versions of their vehicles and carry trucks/commercial vehicles; I don't see why Dodge couldn't have done the same. The truck styling could have been exorcised from the brand's cars without needing to spin off standalone brands. Chevrolet also carries the Corvette, while offering more affordable, mainstream models. Basically, Ford and Chevrolet offer a wide and diverse portfolio of products; I don't see why Dodge should be so limited.

I also read reports that the next gen minivan will be assigned to Dodge in Canada because of the Caravan's sales performance and popularity in the Canadian market. This sort of bucks my assumption that Sergio views Chrysler as the family oriented brand or Dodge as a hip and sporty mainstream brand. Maybe minivans are possibly viewed as hip and cool in Canada? (Shrugs) I can't quite figure this one out, other than Sergio is possibly bending his own rules to customize his brand strategies and vehicle assignments to specific markets. This one has me a little baffled.

I'm definitely not implying that anything that I posted above is fact or that I agree with any or all of it. This is just an attempt on my part to try to reason or make sense of what appears to be a somewhat confusing or muddled strategy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.