Ford, Honda tie for 1st in customer loyalty [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford, Honda tie for 1st in customer loyalty

SobeSVT
12-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Ford, Honda tie for 1st in customer loyalty
Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20101209/BUSINESS01/101209045/Ford-Honda-tie-for-1st-in-customer-loyalty#ixzz17eEFYNy0)
By BRENT SNAVELY
Free Press Business Writer
Dec. 9, 2010

http://us.tnpv.net/2010/WKA201008/WKA2010082283045_pv.jpg

Ford and Honda can boast that they have the most loyal customers of any automotive brand, according to a customer loyalty survey released today by J.D. Power and Associates.

Now in its eighth year, the study measures the rate at which automotive brands retain their existing customers and the reasons why owners remain loyal.
This year, Ford and Honda tied for first in the survey with 62% of their owners remaining loyal, according to J.D. Power.

Hyundai, Lexus and Toyota all tied for third place with a 60% retention rate.

Chevrolet, the second-highest ranked domestic brand, came in ninth place with a 52% retention rate.

The key vehicles that are helping Ford to keep its customers are the Edge crossover, F-Series pickups and the Fusion midsize sedan. For Honda, retention is driven by the Accord sedan, CR-V crossover and Pilot SUV.

Customer retention is critical to a brandís success, especially as the automotive industry sales slowly recover from the worst recession in decades.

Full text at the link

Andrew L
12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
F-Series is no surpise, but nice to see the Edge and Fusion make the list!

iirc the Mountineer also had a very high rating for loyalty

ptk94
09-30-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm surprised Toyota is not on this list, being that they have a reputation for economy and reliability. The long list of recalls recently must hav pushed them back. Anyway, good for Ford. :)

Bloggin
09-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Here is data from a more recent article from April 2013 that shows Ford as #1 and all others behind:
Carscoops (http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/ford-leads-way-in-customer-loyalty-gm.html)

Ever since Japanese automakers began selling their endlessly-reliable and durable cars in the US (and around the world), domestic manufacturers began losing millions of sales. The trend had been going on for many years, but it seems that the Big Three US automakers are on the rebound in their home market.

According to Experian Automotive, Ford leads the way in customer loyalty in the States. The Dublin-based research institute says that in the fourth quarter of 2012, 47.9 percent of people who were looking for a new vehicle bought either a Ford or a Lincoln (probably not an MKZ, though).

"Ford has developed extremely loyal customers across a wide range of vehicles," said Jeffrey Anderson, director of consulting and analytics for Experian Automotive. "Customer loyalty will always be a very important barometer of automotive sales success."

While the Blue Oval has registered the most promising numbers, GM and Chrysler are not far behind. In fact, GM is ahead of Toyota, with 47.7 percent loyalty, versus the Japanese brand's 46.9 percent. Read more... (http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/ford-leads-way-in-customer-loyalty-gm.html)

SP1966
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm surprised Toyota is not on this list, being that they have a reputation for economy and reliability. The long list of recalls recently must hav pushed them back. Anyway, good for Ford. :)

It would be hard to put Toyota on the list given the rate they've been shedding market share. If you're losing market share it's not a sign of owner loyalty!

SP1966
09-30-2013, 09:42 AM
This makes me laugh, Ford and Honda on top when Consumer Reports has been bashing MyFordTouch and dragging Ford down in their ratings, yet people who buy them appear to like them or they wouldn't be coming back.

Bloggin
09-30-2013, 01:20 PM
This makes me laugh, Ford and Honda on top when Consumer Reports has been bashing MyFordTouch and dragging Ford down in their ratings, yet people who buy them appear to like them or they wouldn't be coming back.

That CR report is outdated from 2010.

SP1966
09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
That CR report is outdated from 2010.

I missed that your earlier post today wasn't referencing CR, but my point still stands: CR bags on Ford almost exclusively because of MyFordTouch and yet consumers (the C in CR) are still more loyal to Ford that any other!

wingsnut
09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
MFT is a great system.

If it is too high tech, don't get it.

And bravo to Ford.

paul8488
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I agree fully, my entry-level Ford brought me back to the brand and I will definitely consider another one when it needs to be replaced. Ford has the one-two punch of getting customers hooked and keeping them interested figured out.