Ford Teams With AT&T to Wirelessly Connect Electric Vehicles [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford Teams With AT&T to Wirelessly Connect Electric Vehicles

nsap
03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Ford Teams With AT&T to Wirelessly Connect Electric Vehicles
GM has Verizon, now Ford has AT&T.
www.FordInsideNews.com
March 23, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/640/medium/FocusElectric_74_HR.jpg

Today Ford Motor Company announced a new agreement with AT&T to provide Focus Electric buyers with wireless connectivity to their high-tech car. The Ford Focus Electric is slated to begin production in late 2011.

Focus Electric will be equipped with a built-in cellular radio that will allow customers to control their vehicle remotely via Ford's new MyFord Mobile smartphone application. Ford says the application will allow owners to both send and receive information from the car.

“With a wireless connection, we’re putting battery charge and vehicle range information, along with an interactive, data-driven trip planning app, directly at the fingertips of our customers,” said Ed Pleet, product and business manager for Ford Connected Services. “This technology will keep drivers connected to vital information, enhancing their electric car ownership experience. The AT&T network is an important part of this equation and we’re pleased to have AT&T on board.”

The MyFord Mobile application will perform the following functions- leveraging Focus Electric's AT&T wireless connection:

Find current and projected state of charge information including estimated range and the amount of charge time necessary for additional distances
Program vehicle charging with utility input, allowing the car to start charging immediately or when electricity prices are lowest with the value charging feature, powered by Microsoft
Features powered by MapQuest available on the MyFord smartphone app:
Locate charging stations and get the destination sent to the vehicle
Know if the vehicle can reach a specific charge station from its current location with the current charge level
Create a journey with multiple stops, and determine the likelihood that the car has adequate charge for the full journey
Find the car by creating a route from a mobile phone to the vehicle
Receive alerts if the vehicle isn’t charging when it’s scheduled to, or if charging stops unexpectedly due to a power outage, plug removal or other event
Receive alerts during recharge when the vehicle has reached a particular preset charge level or has the ability to reach a particular destination
Engage remote vehicle preconditioning, using grid power to heat or cool the vehicle interior
Remotely lock/unlock doors
Use the built-in GPS system to locate the car
Download performance and system data
Fun ways of understanding your driver behavior, with ratings from ‘Zen’ to ‘Zippy’
Receive information personalized to the driver, depending on which key the driver used

ausrutherford
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Lets just hope the signal does not drop. ;)

Stryford
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Lets just hope the signal does not drop. ;)

I agree. Let's also hope no one will have to talk with AT&T's customer service.

2b2
03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree. Let's also hope no one will have to talk with AT&T's customer service.
Amen!
at least like AT&T's Long Distance @ssholes

the people in our local office are SUPER NICE, HELPFUL, ETC
and the people I've had on the phone (BEFORE getting transferred to Long Distance) have been quite pleasant and professional
but
the jerks at Long Distance "CS" who have called me a liar on top of disregarding anything I had to say, including the managers & supervisors . . . http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/OrElse.gif

SullyND
03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
So is there a cost? I've been hoping Ford could go with a free (Or very low cost) wireless SYNC set up in cars. Heck, a $189 Kindle has lifetime 3G on AT&T. A minimum level of service could not really use that much data (unlock doors, start car, etc). Hopefully this tech makes it's wat to the regular cars as well.

nsap
03-24-2011, 05:59 AM
So is there a cost? I've been hoping Ford could go with a free (Or very low cost) wireless SYNC set up in cars. Heck, a $189 Kindle has lifetime 3G on AT&T. A minimum level of service could not really use that much data (unlock doors, start car, etc). Hopefully this tech makes it's wat to the regular cars as well.

I was curious about that cost as well. It doesn't say anywhere...

jciers2
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I surprized that noone has made a joke about the pic above (see name of phone (http://http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+Focus+(TM)+-+Black&q_sku=sku4980540#fbid=K238gQkKczQ)) I have said phone and only experienced a dropped call enough times to count them on one hand ... even with older phones. Now, if I had an iPhone, I'd be singing a different tune.