GM and Ford products on the comeback [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: GM and Ford products on the comeback

07-12-2007, 01:40 AM
NEW YORK ( -- The August issue of Consumer Reports magazine contains a rare, happy surprise for Detroit - a rave review of a General Motors SUV.

Consumer Reports is often seen as uniformly critical of vehicles from the Big 3 U.S.-based car makers. For example, not one domestic make was included in Consumer Reports' 2007 list of "Top 10 Picks," released in April.

But according to a Consumer Reports staffer, recent introductions from Ford and GM show that they are capable of making genuinely competitive vehicles.

In addition, J.D. Power surveys show that buyers appreciate the improvements in recent GM and Ford products, sometimes even more than Consumer Reports' car testers do.

With GM and Ford sales in decline, successes like these will be particularly important.

Best Cars 2007 - Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports is, by any measure, the single most influential magazine when it comes to the cars Americans actually buy. Much of the success of Toyota and Honda in the United States can be traced to their rise in Consumer Reports' rankings beginning in the 1970s. A 2006 Forester research study showed that car shoppers trust Consumer Reports more than any other source of automotive information.

The magazine has always maintained that it has no reason to favor or attack any particular company. Consumer Reports, published by the not-for-profit group Consumer's Union, does not run any paid advertising and it doesn't write its reviews based on cars lent by manufacturers.

Its testers have simply not liked U.S. cars much in recent memory.

So it's all the more surprising to read this about GM's Saturn Outlook SUV: "With its roomy interior, the Outlook is an excellent alternative to a large, truck-based SUV for buyers who don't need the extra towing capacity or off-road ability of a truck. We also also liked the Outlook's agile handling, comfortable ride, and third-row seat that's hospitable for three adults."

In the placid language of Consumer Reports, that's high praise.

Consumer Reports: No test dummies
Jake Fisher, one of the car testers at Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center, credits GM for not just following what the Japanese car companies have done, something U.S. automakers have tended to do in the past.

With the Outlook and its cousins, the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave, GM has carved out a new niche: large SUVs that ride and handle like cars while getting relatively decent fuel economy - all without sacrificing interior space.

07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Consumer reports has done more to destroy US industrial might than all other groups combined.
I will never understand what motivates them.

09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
well consumer reports with a seemingly GM and Ford hatred has "surprisingly rated the Fusion a recomended model"

10-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I will never understand what motivates them.

The truth is what motivates them.

Let's face it; the American car companies earned the reputation they have. They've been producing good looking, poor quality cars for decades. I know because I've owned several of them.

I'm glad to see that they have finally realized the problem and have begun to rectify the problem with their upcoming models. Hopefully the resale value will follow.