Dodge Caliber To Be Euthenized Come November [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Dodge Caliber To Be Euthenized Come November

RG59061
08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
DODGE CALIBER TO BE EUTHANIZED COME NOVEMBER

REPLACEMENT BASED ON FIAT COMPACT PLATFORM CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/08/caliber.jpg

Well...just like the Ram Dakota...the unloved Caliber has finally been given its last rights and will be euthanized just in time for Thanksgiving. Somehow I don't think too many tears will be shed at this announcement.

The Caliber received one refresh improving the Interior Quality and general comfort of the vehicle during its life after it replaced the better known but long in the tooth Neon. With the SRT4 Caliber already gone long ago and the competition from Ford, Chevrolet, Kia and Hyundai, the Caliber stands no chance of becoming competitive any time soon. Instead the Caliber will be replaced by a new compact offering built off of the new FIAT Global Compact Architecture.

So, remove your hats, bow your heads, and let us give a moment of silence to the passing of yet another fine example of the creme de la creme of the Rental Fleet...Dollar, Thrifty, National and Enterprise will surely miss the cheap and...anything but cheerful Caliber.

Below are the full details and the entire article as posted on Autoblog.com (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/24/dodge-caliber-headed-to-big-crusher-in-the-sky-come-november/) and written by Noah Joseph.

Dodge Caliber headed to Big Crusher In The Sky come November

By Noah Joseph RSS feed
Posted Aug 24th 2011 1:29PM

Chrysler had a real hit on its hands (at least initially) when it launched the Neon in 1994. And though it was plagued by early quality issues, it actually had a waiting list to buy one when it first came out. The Caliber, however, has been less of a market success.

In replacing the ubiquitous Neon in 2006, Dodge went with a pseudo-SUV shape to create a more rugged aesthetic on the Caliber. Quality, unfortunately, wasn't much better, and the slushy CVT and interior were widely panned attributes which, as we found in our recent test drive, were enough to keep the Caliber from being a real success.

Now, five years after its launch, a new report from Allpar says that the Pentastar's econo-ute won't see another new year. The model, according to reports, will be phased out by the end of November. Its replacement is widely expected to come from Fiat underpinnings, but whether that will come in time for the Caliber's discontinuation or for that matter, beat its nagging deficiencies remains to be seen.

News Source: Allpar (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/08/caliber-buildout-scheduled)

So...how do you feel...leave your thoughts and comments...or even rants.

Stryford
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
It was a good idea, but a little ugly. The Fiesta based crossover could have been a competitor to the Caliber if Ford decides to sell it here.

ausrutherford
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
There next compact better be a knockout.

SullyND
08-25-2011, 02:13 AM
I had one of these as a rental a couple of years ago. It was easily the cheapest car I have ever driven. I would not be surprised to consider a Yugo luxurious in comparison.

1980Capri
08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Wasn't the Caliber the car that Consumer Reports said they could not find a single thing to recommend it? Someone I know has one, but the only comment I ever heard him make about it was that he was "disappointed" at the gas mileage. Agree that few will mourn the loss of this one.

ausrutherford
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
One interesting note, once the Caliber dies, it will be the last part of the failed "make all Dodges hatches or wagons" plan by Daimler to go.

RG59061
08-28-2011, 09:47 AM
One interesting note, once the Caliber dies, it will be the last part of the failed "make all Dodges hatches or wagons" plan by Daimler to go.

Very interesting Ausrutherford...it will also be the last Dodge that carried the "Ram" logo Crosshair Grille.

domij72
12-28-2011, 07:42 AM
I had one as a rental a few years back and I had to take the hideous thing back to Budget due to the engine light coming on and never turning off. Not to mention, it was horrible to drive, especially with that CVT by Mitsubishi, UGH, such a slushbox! This was an '08 model I believe, which had all that hard, cheap plastic which made it feel like you were in a toy car..

TurboS40
12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised this dogwagen lasted as long as it did. Chrysler should dump everything else Daimler Mercedes related over the next few years and replace them with better styled vehicles.