VW likely to overtake Toyota as top carmaker this year [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: VW likely to overtake Toyota as top carmaker this year

ausrutherford
10-24-2011, 07:13 AM
VW likely to overtake Toyota as top carmaker this year
October 24, 2011
Automotive News (http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111024/COPY01/310249769/1401)

BERLIN (Bloomberg) -- Volkswagen AG will probably become the world's biggest carmaker this year, vaulting past Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co. on gains in emerging markets.

VW Group's sales, third among carmakers in 2010, will probably rise 13 percent to 8.1 million vehicles this year, based on the average of three analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.

GM sales will gain about 8 percent to 7.55 million, while Toyota will drop 9 percent to 7.27 million, according to the survey.

Volkswagen sales in China may rise almost 20 percent this year and more than double in India, according to estimates at researcher J.D. Power & Associates.

That's a contrast to Toyota, which is suspending plants in Southeast Asia because of floods in Thailand, months after an earthquake crippled production in Japan.

"Emerging markets are at a stage of car-adoption by consumers and there is still a large space for sales to grow. said Jenny Gu, Shanghai-based senior markets analyst for J.D. Power. ''VW realized this and put a lot of effort on emerging markets.''

Estimates at J.D. Power, IHS Automotive and PwC Autofacts were used to calculate the average projections.

Next year's lead

Toyota may regain the lead from VW next year as the recovery of the Japanese company's facilities from the March earthquake will pave the way for Toyota to sell 8.4 million cars, or half a million units more than VW, according to research firm IHS.

J.D. Power projects VW will retain its lead in 2012, outselling Toyota by about 50,000 units.

VW, which also owns the Audi and Skoda brands, focused on boosting capacity and its network of dealerships as it built its brand in markets such as China and India, Gu said.

Automakers are turning to developing economies for growth as sales in mature markets slow.

China is already the biggest auto market globally, with sales exceeding 18 million in 2010. VW sales in China will probably reach 2.3 million units and 116,000 in India this year, with the two markets accounting for about a third of the company's sales, according to J.D. Power estimates.

Full text at link

Andrew L
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I thought GM took the top position back

falcon lover
10-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Let those 3 gigants figth for the 1st place. Is that so important? I think the profits and the image that customers has about the company is more important than the volume. Ford is Ok with the 4th or 5th place in the autoindustry. Maybe the next year the position will be:
1.- VW
2.- Toyota
3.- GM
4.- Hyundai-Kia
5.- Ford

And i will continue to be fan of Ford...

ausrutherford
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought GM took the top position back

They did at the 6 month point.