Should Mercury Rebadge Ford Europe Vehicles For USA

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

Should Ford Follow Saturns Lead and Rebadge Euro Fords as Mercury's

8K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Philsshon 
#1 ·
I was thinking this is probably the best way to fetch higher prices for higher content Euro Fords

See less See more
#5 ·
Here are the problems...the two most appealing cars (for the purpose of the U.S. market) are the European C2 Focus and the upcoming new Mondeo. According to Ford, all funds that might be available to bring the Focus over were spent on the upcoming '08 Focus (which was a horrible decision, IMHO). Moreover, the global C3 Focus is due in the U.S. in 2011 or so. Not sure if it is worth the additional investment for a couple of years of sales.

As for the Mondeo, its top engine will be a 217-hp five cylinder. Given the expenses associated with importing and such, I can't imagine you'd be able to buy a Mondeo here for much less than 30K. How many people are going to spend that kind of scratch on a car that will be badly underpowered and down a cylinder compared to V6 CamCord Aura Altima etc that sell for the same or less $$$? Even the V6 Fusion, which is now badly underpowered in its class, has 221 bhp. And that Volvo inline-5 is not known to have stellar NVH characteristics. Now, if the D35 can be stuffed in that new Mondeo, it might be a different story. That, I don't know.

#6 ·
Here are the problems...the two most appealing cars (for the purpose of the U.S. market) are the European C2 Focus and the upcoming new Mondeo. According to Ford, all funds that might be available to bring the Focus over were spent on the upcoming '08 Focus (which was a horrible decision, IMHO). Moreover, the global C3 Focus is due in the U.S. in 2011 or so. Not sure if it is worth the additional investment for a couple of years of sales.

As for the Mondeo, its top engine will be a 217-hp five cylinder. Given the expenses associated with importing and such, I can't imagine you'd be able to buy a Mondeo here for much less than 30K. How many people are going to spend that kind of scratch on a car that will be badly underpowered and down a cylinder compared to V6 CamCord Aura Altima etc that sell for the same or less $$$? Even the V6 Fusion, which is now badly underpowered in its class, has 221 bhp. And that Volvo inline-5 is not known to have stellar NVH characteristics. Now, if the D35 can be stuffed in that new Mondeo, it might be a different story. That, I don't know.
How is Saturn able to do it then and sell the Astra for example cheaply?
And without a non rebadge prdoct line.. Mercury might not really have much of a future

#9 ·

That Inline 5 can also be turbocharged easily. Or use Direct injection. Volvo's engines were designed for that.

#12 ·
I'm not sure. It's been tried a few times and failed. Remember Merkur? The marketing could've been better but still.

Or the Contour. Renault. Peugeot. Fiat. Opel. Saturn L series. Cadillac Catera.

I'd say wait and see how the Astra does.
Aura, seems to be holding its own, though its not really a true transplant

#13 ·
Should Ford rebadge some of it's vehicles?

Hmmmmmm.

This is kinda' funny, when you think about it.

Mercury's are only rebadged Fords to begin with. What difference does it make which hemisphere they originate in?

At least then, Ford USA would only have to design 2 different grilles for each new vehicle instead of 3.

#16 ·

The new Mondeo will be offered (launch date has not been made public) with the new SI6 3.0 Turbo with 285hp(Volvo spec'd) and will be in the ST variant. The same engine Volvo will use in its redesigned V70.
Also for 2008 Volvo is increasing the hp in the 2.5 Turbo from 217hp to 230hp.

Ford NA if they decide to offer some euro Fords, I can guarantee you front face and rear clips will be Americanize, also interior bits and pieces will be cheapened. It is Ford NA culture that defeats the purpose of offering up some of the best Ford vehicles the rest of world drives.:(

The pricing excuse is just Ford NA propaganda to quiet the people who would prefer the C2 Focus, Mondeo, S-Max, etc.

I live half the year in Europe and half in Canada, and Ford pricing is the same as in Canada .

One issue to keep in mind is that prices listed on euro car sites include taxes and fees.

To rebadge the Ford Mondeo to Mercury, IMO is a sure way for Ford NA to continue to "NOT" improve customer perception of Ford vehicles, which is needed BIG time right now.

I get the impression that North Americans are not supposed to think very highly of Ford cars, that the Mondeo is too good to be a NA Ford.
To me this is ridiculous.

Does Ford NA want to be considered good or just cheap.:confused:

#17 ·
hmmm I missed this thread (++ to Dzuchowski for bumping it)

imho the 3.0 isn't underpowered as much as it should be the middle engine *cough*ST/GT*cough*
(tho Accord and that other brand don't even offer a 'Goldilocks' engine iirc)

But since we will be getting global platforms, & as for Merc=imports (they just better include some C2-sized Mercurys!)
the main actual imports I'd like for Merc are the S-Max (tho maybe Milan could spawn one)
and
a slightly stretched RX-8 wrapped around the 3.5v6 (turbo version too of course) = XR6!

...To rebadge the Ford Mondeo to Mercury, IMO is a sure way for Ford NA to continue to "NOT" improve customer perception of Ford vehicles, which is needed BIG time right now...
...Does Ford NA want to be considered good or just cheap.:confused:

Good point imho
&
aren't Fords s'posed to good AND affordable?

#18 ·
only the B cars can be sell here, if those caras will be produced in Mexico. The Fiesta and the mini suv derived , will sell in USA. The Mondeo, the S Max are cars dificult to sell in USA, and the Focus is too expensive to produce for America

#19 ·
Since Ford is too stupid to be already selling products like the euro-Focus, (new) Mondeo, S-Max, Focus CC, I think this would be an excellent choice.
It would give Mercury a reason for existing, and we would all get the Euro-product that we want so bad (well maybe not I so much, living in Europe:p ).
Ford needs to get it's act together soon though and make up its mind.

(I'm new btw, but I already see many familiar faces from GM Inside news
forums ;) )

#20 ·
Since Ford is too stupid to be already selling products like the euro-Focus, (new) Mondeo, S-Max, Focus CC, I think this would be an excellent choice.
It would give Mercury a reason for existing, and we would all get the Euro-product that we want so bad (well maybe not I so much, living in Europe:p ).
Ford needs to get it's act together soon though and make up its mind.

(I'm new btw, but I already see many familiar faces from GM Inside news
forums ;) )
I use google to advertise there, I also have a good personal friend Mbuku, who is a long time member of GMI
:D

#21 ·
TheCarConnection - by Richard Yarrow
We drive Ford's Euro Mondeo - Would it make a better Mercury?

Not much of a Mondeo review
& the author basically just poses the ^^^ hackneyed question...
in fact I double checked the article's date - yup, current :shakes head:
(so I didn't bother making a new thread)

otoh, IF this subject isn't already beaten-to-death/resolved, can the Poll be re-activated?
:eek: ;EEK; (edit)
was the Poll active when I posted earlier today???
hmmm
now I hafta decide if I want to vote for "Either-Or" (pet peeve)...

K, I'm gonna define 'Mercs=ImportedEuroFords' as 'Mercury to use less-adjusted Euro style' and vote:
YES

re-edit: tho I really wish for 30 minutes with Merc's design team to show them some styling themes...
...a phone call?

#23 ·
I voted yes, but only for a Focus hatch and convertible.
I like the Milan as it is today and the coming changes, especially in powertrain, will be very nice in the short term. The Mondeo may look good, but mostly in a different kind of way. There is not an AWD option either. Also, where would it fit in their showroom lineup when it would probably cost more than the better Sable, and only offer different sheetmetal. The coming improvements to the Milan will really boost it's style, and the interior upgrades will take it up a notch in quality perception and cache as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.