Ford Inside News banner

2014 Lincoln Navigator to Drop V8 for EcoBoost V6

39K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Bloggin 
#1 ·
Jason Siu
Mar 11, 8:43 PM
AG

The Lincoln Navigator SUV will live on, with the upcoming model featuring an EcoBoost V6 engine while the V8 could be on its way out.

The word of an EcoBoost V6 Navigator comes from Lincoln Global Director Matt VanDyke, and will be Ford’s popular 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost offering. It will likely have 365 hp and 410 lb-ft of torque, which is a respectable increase from the current model’s 310 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque. According to VanDyke, Lincoln is going all-EcoBoost, so a V8 is unlikely to make a return in the Navigator. A potential base engine is a 3.7-liter V6 with 302 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque.

#3 ·
#4 ·
WHAT?!?!? I sincerely hope not
imho there's a good deal of jumping to conclusions in this article...or maybe deliberate sensationalism**

- "an" EcoBoost doesn't mean the 5.0V8 won't makes it's way from the nextgen F-150 too
- I'd rather see a 400hp 2.9-Nano-EB (gen2EB=140hp per liter)
- All EB?? what about a hybrid? tho I *am* curious about using an EB for that
- the new 2.3EB4 should be able to beat the 302hp(?) of a 3.7...

** just saw this was sourced from MotorTrend
"While the upcoming Navigator could go without an available V-8. the mechanically related Ford Expedition, however, may well hang onto its V-8..."

the only way I can see ^this^ is
(sensationalistic speculationism)
-- the Navi being nearly all aluminum &
-- making both the Nano & 2.3 EB's electrically assisted
-- 350hp & 500hp^ (Nano = twice as much electroHP)
imho the nextNavi needs to make a m.a.j.o.r. statement
(just like EVERY new Lincoln
)

#7 ·
** just saw this was sourced from MotorTrend
"While the upcoming Navigator could go without an available V-8. the mechanically related Ford Expedition, however, may well hang onto its V-8..."

the only way I can see ^this^ is
(sensationalistic speculationism)
-- the Navi being nearly all aluminum &
-- making both the Nano & 2.3 EB's electrically assisted
-- 350hp & 500hp^ (Nano = twice as much electroHP)
imho the nextNavi needs to make a m.a.j.o.r. statement
(just like EVERY new Lincoln
)
IMO That would be an insult to the brand if the Ford keeps the V8 and the Lincoln doesn't even get it as an option

#8 ·
According to VanDyke, Lincoln is going all-EcoBoost, .... A potential base engine is a 3.7-liter V6 with 302 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque.
That's a contradiction right there. If Lincoln is going all ecoboost, the base engine could not be the standard 3.7.
I would expect a new 2.7 or 2.9 Ecoboost to be the base engine.

Oh, 2014.....Really?!

#10 ·
That's a contradiction right there. If Lincoln is going all ecoboost, the base engine could not be the standard 3.7.

Oh, 2014.....Really?!
They needed an update a few years ago... its been unchanged really since 07 with a minor update to the interior a few years ago.

Does anyone still buy Navigators?
They sell around 800 a month... not nearly as well as they used to and not nearly as well as the Escalade but yes some people still prefer these vehicles.

#14 ·
So Lincoln will not offer a V-8 where the Ford version could. How stupid is that? I Thought Lincoln was the flagship Brand for Ford Motor Company?? I'm sure The Mustang Brand will still offer a V-8 when the models are redesigned next year. One can only imagine in 2016 or thereabouts we finally get the RWD Lincoln sedan/coupe etc only to find out it will be offered with a V-6 and no 8.

#16 ·
^ hope so, N.R.!
&
the Navigator has OUT of STYLE for SOoooo Long...
They needed an update a few years ago... its been unchanged really since 07 with a minor update to the interior a few years ago.
Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both - some blog about autos' "me too" article
By Chris Paukert - Posted Mar 12th 2013

TwentyThree Skidoo!
Rosie the Riveter prefers Navigators!!
I Like IKE...and the Navigator!!!

...OUT Of STYLE for So Long that I'm starting to *like* it again!

lincoln needs v8 cars, I don´t understand, if you can pay a qx56-range rover-escalade-gl you can pay the gasoline, you can pay a v8 :facepalm:
Given the CAFE requirements, it will be anything the manufacturer can do to avoid the penalties. Once again leaving the buyers without choices they might like to have.
So Lincoln will not offer a V-8 where the Ford version could. How stupid is that? I Thought Lincoln was the flagship Brand for Ford Motor Company?? I'm sure The Mustang Brand will still offer a V-8 when the models are redesigned next year. One can only imagine in 2016 or thereabouts we finally get the RWD Lincoln sedan/coupe etc only to find out it will be offered with a V-6 and no 8.
I've been ranting for quite a while that FLincMoCo better get some powerful, even 5.0v8-EBs, out before they become illegal or just contra-indicated...

...guess we're THERE already

What worries me now (as TurboS40 said
) is whether they'll even do that for the LincStang!

#18 ·
I believe we'll see an exclusive engine for the Navi. Otherwise, it wouldn't really set the Navi and Expy far apart.
If 2b2 is correct and EB2 is putting out around 140hp/liter then the nano 2.9 will be in the range of 400hp. I would expect if these rumors are correct that the 'Gator will get the nano as its top engine then the Ford will get the V8's along with the existing 3.5EB.

Lincoln can try to follow the lead of its competitors, or Lincoln can try to set the pace. If the nano can be around that 400hp number while getting improved MPG then I personally see that as the headline engine to signal the direction the future is inevitably taking. If its done well its always better to be first.

Finally, these large Luxury SUV's aren't work trucks and the V6's in the F150 lead the way in sales. Lincoln needs to be a vision of what the future holds, not a shadow of what everybody else is already doing.

#19 ·
If the Navigator is expected to lose the V8, while the Expedition will keep it, then I would expect the next Navigator will be based on the Explorer. It makes sense, given how succussful the new Explorer is & Lincoln doesn't have a version yet.

Also remeber that the there is still no "ultimate" Exploere yet. You can't get the Sport with all of the goodies offered in the Limited. Its like with the Edge, you get either the Sport's 3.7L or the Limited's extra options, to get both you should upgrade to the MKX.

#20 ·
If the Navigator is expected to lose the V8, while the Expedition will keep it, then I would expect the next Navigator will be based on the Explorer. It makes sense, given how succussful the new Explorer is & Lincoln doesn't have a version yet.

Also remeber that the there is still no "ultimate" Exploere yet. You can't get the Sport with all of the goodies offered in the Limited. Its like with the Edge, you get either the Sport's 3.7L or the Limited's extra options, to get both you should upgrade to the MKX.
This sound very reasonable for me. The next full size SUV for Lincoln could be an Explored based one. What will happen with the MK T? will dissapear... the Explorer is a winner, and a new luxury version for Lincoln is a no brainer choice ...

#22 ·
The current MKT shares its chassis and long wheelbase with the Flex; the Explorer is on the same platform but is a few inches shorter between the wheel centers. I never cared for the looks or rear seat room of the MKT and think that the Flex should be updated and given to Lincoln as a five-passenger sedan and a 6/7-peassenger crossover.

#23 ·
If the Navigator is expected to lose the V8, while the Expedition will keep it, then I would expect the next Navigator will be based on the Explorer. It makes sense, given how successful the new Explorer is & Lincoln doesn't have a version yet.

Also remember that the there is still no "ultimate" Explorer yet. You can't get the Sport with all of the goodies offered in the Limited. Its like with the Edge, you get either the Sport's 3.7L or the Limited's extra options, to get both you should upgrade to the MKX.
This sound very reasonable for me. The next full size SUV for Lincoln could be an Explored based one. What will happen with the MK T? will disappear... the Explorer is a winner, and a new luxury version for Lincoln is a no brainer choice ...
just imho
the Navi will be based on an ultralight version of the nextgen F-150
then
'bracketed' by some kind of Explorer-ish take-off, the MKT exits
(maybe with a long wlb sedan taking the MKT's place on the assemblyline - tho that's looking more & more like a short-term proposition)(D3/4, even the Interceptors, is/was only scheduled to run until the beginning of 2017cy)

the big question I see is How/When the MkExplorer(Aviator?) will dictate the switch to CD4+3

re: the lack of a v8
I'm rather amazed that there's been so little upset over "no v8" on another forum
but imho, other than in commercial trucks (& sportscars of a traditional type), the v8 is a dinosaur**
and hybrids are 'the way forward' for at least another decade or so
until alternative powertrains come out

** tho I'd really like to see the LincStang & esp. Continental debut with a 700hp 5.0EBv8
even if it can't stick around for very long

#24 ·
Aren't the Flex and Explorer platforms related? The same could be for the MR T and MKN. (MKN was still a trademark name the last time I looked) Then reserve the Navigator as a specialty (High-end 4-door coupe-like SUV/CUV) as the Aviator could also be (if we ever get the promised Aviator)

Can it be assume that MKT would be reserved for Livery duty only being that all this work has gone into the "Town Car" package?

#25 ·
right now the Explorer & Flex/MKT(/Taurus/MKS) are on D3/4
but the CD4+3, stretched Fusion/Z platform is still supposed to be coming (while the D3/4 is phased out)
tho I for one haven't seen ANY details or even which vehicles it will be used for, just reasonable-or-not speculations

...MKT would be reserved for Livery duty only being that all this work has gone into the "Town Car" package?
what WORK
?
afaik 'all' they did was remove the 3rd row

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.