Truck torture test track [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Truck torture test track

wingsnut
06-25-2007, 08:04 PM
From PickupTruck.com

Silver Creek: Where Ford Tortures Its Trucks and the Competition's

Ford recently showed us video of a 2007 Ford F-150 running Silver Creek, along with comparative footage of the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and 2007 Toyota Tundra over the same course. All are four wheel drive.

The movies are dramatic. The first (above) shows each truck serially. The second (below) shows them in parallel. Each truck enters Silver Creek at 28 miles per hour - near the upper boundary for maintaining control. Pay close attention to the driver's hands on the steering wheel when the camera pans to the cab as the rapid fire torsional forces expose any weakness in suspensions, frames, and body components.

The F-150, now three model years old, seems to do best overall. It's followed closely by the Silverado.

Both the F-150 and Silverado have fully boxed frames that are more resistant to twist than the Toyota's partially-boxed C-channel chassis. The F-150's advantage versus Silverado appears to come from rear shocks that are mounted outboard from the frame rails - a setup that provides better leverage against axle movement than the Silverado's inboard mounted shocks. The result is much more jounce seen in the Chevy's rear axle. Front suspension performance appears to be in favor of the Silverado's new independent coil spring setup but the Chevy suffers cosmetically as its fuel filler door opens and shuts from all the bouncing.

Bed movements in the F-150 and Silverado are relatively limited though, compared to what's seen in the Tundra. The rear of the Tundra's cargo box flexes and twists violently as the front gouges the back of the cab. There are portions of Silver Creek where the frequency of severe bumps causes an especially large degree of torsional resonance to show in the bed's sides.

So how does the unrealistic surface of Silver Creek relate to what these trucks might encounter in the real world? At some point in time almost every pickup is going to be overloaded or stressed past its operating limits, even if it's only for a few seconds. Its engineering for these types of events that make for really tough trucks.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/silvercreek/silvercreek.html

ndwariga
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
This is a Ford track test. I am sure GM and Toyota are putting up their own as we speak

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 04:15 AM
LOOOOOVE IT!! What is the extra HP worth when your truck can't stay together? . . . .

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>
&ampnbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zShwG9l1F0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT><OBJECT height=350 width=425>
&ampnbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUgzdBn4gMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>

I don't see how Toyota and GM could counter this without crying foul. The videos are very conclusive.

ndwariga
06-26-2007, 07:25 AM
There is no doubt, Toyota does not have the right truck here.

I think instead of the Silvarado, they should have run the titan.
Wht about RAM? Everyone acts as if it does not exist anymore

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
There is no doubt, Toyota does not have the right truck here.

I think instead of the Silvarado, they should have run the titan.
Wht about RAM? Everyone acts as if it does not exist anymore
I guess that Ford had to go against their strongest competitors. The Titan, as much as the media hyped it, is not a contender anymore (or never actually was one) and the RAM in terms of sales does not exist, why would Ford acknowledge it?

When the dust settles there will only be two trucks standing: the Ford F-150 and the Silverado. And now we know which one is the toughest one (Chevy really should do something about that fuel filler cover).

ndwariga
06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
For every 4 trucks sold 1 is a Ram. In 2009, that will perhaps improve. Their cummins is a great diesel too.
I take them more seroiously than I take Toyota. They also have a better minitruck than both Ford and GM

B.R.
06-26-2007, 08:22 AM
The Tundra is absolutely scary, so much for the "Triple Tech" frame. That has to be the worst that any truck could have possibly done. The Silverado is much better, yet still doesnt have the control the F-150 has, and the driver of the Silverado looked like he was having a hard time keeping it on line.

wingsnut
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
The F-150 is heaviest for a reason.

Mbukukanyau
06-26-2007, 08:48 AM
The Tundra is absolutely scary, so much for the "Triple Tech" frame. That has to be the worst that any truck could have possibly done. The Silverado is much better, yet still doesnt have the control the F-150 has, and the driver of the Silverado looked like he was having a hard time keeping it on line.
like some other poster said, this is a Ford Test. GM could easily take the F150 to 'their test track' and 'embarass' the next F150.
Also, tradationally, they (GM, Ford) do MCE's when each other releases their next truck.
I am sure GM is working on upgrades for 2009 when Ford and Dodge bring their new trucks to the Market.
Toyota is simply not a player. Ford should have choosen Ram instead of Tundra

B.R.
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
like some other poster said, this is a Ford Test. GM could easily take the F150 to 'their test track' and 'embarass' the next F150.

Thats true, and now I am wondering why is the Silverado a Z71 Off Road package instead of the comparable one to an XLT? I guess its so that Ford looks better.

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
For every 4 trucks sold 1 is a Ram. In 2009, that will perhaps improve. Their cummins is a great diesel too.
I take them more seroiously than I take Toyota. They also have a better minitruck than both Ford and GM
I know that, but the comparison is only between one and a half tons trucks.

I would take the Dodge truck more seriously than I take the Toyota too, but for the time being all the media hype is on the Toyota so it is easy to see how Ford picked the Tundra.

Also keep in mind that the RAM does not sell one in every four full size trucks in America, that would be 25&#37; on the market, something that Chrysler does not see even in their wildest dreams in that market. Only the F-150 with 31% of the full size truck market and Chevy with 28% are above the 25% mark. The Ram holds 17.4%, which is not bad at all.

I am not trying here to bad mouth any truck but to explain why Ford's rationale behind this comparo makes so much sense to me.

The RAM is to me, the only other good looking full size truck with the F-150.

I don't see how that could happen except if the are going to drag race them which isn't the purpose of a pickup truck anyway. Ford chose to highlight the performance of the suspension and the stability of the box for a reason.

Mbukukanyau
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
like some other poster said, this is a Ford Test. GM could easily take the F150 to 'their test track' and 'embarass' the next F150..

I don't see how that could happen except if the are going to drag race them which isn't the purpose of a pickup truck anyway. Ford chose to highlight the performance of the suspension and the stability of the box for a reason.
Have you ever seen the locking Diff Test that GM does on their test track with other competation trucks? Pretty interesting. As in they use their trucks strong points aganist competation

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Have you ever seen the locking Diff Test that GM does on their test track with other competation trucks? Pretty interesting. As in they use their trucks strong points aganist competation
That is exactly my point. You have to highlight the strong points of your product and attack your strongest competitors.

Mbukukanyau
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
That is exactly my point. You have to highlight the strong points of your product and attack your strongest competitors.So we are to take this Video with a grain of salt my Friend:D

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
So we are to take this Video with a grain of salt my Friend:D
Not really unless you take GM's video with a grain of salt too. The thing is that each car company has chosen to highlight the strengths of its entry.

I would take this or any video with a grain (or rather a rock) of salt if I knew that the test had been rigged or the video had been tricked. So far no one has claimed that about either one of the videos.

Now the question is, what is important to the regular pickup truck driver. To be able to beat another pickup truck in an unlikely "rope" competition, or to have the best suspension and the best secured bed? Just asking :D

Mbukukanyau
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Not really unless you take GM's video with a grain of salt too. The thing is that each car company has chosen to highlight the strengths of its entry.

I would take this or any video with a grain (or rather a rock) of salt if I knew that the test had been rigged or the video had been tricked. So far no one has claimed that about either one of the videos.

Now the question is, what is important to the regular pickup truck driver. To be able to beat another pickup truck in an unlikely "rope" competition, or to have the best suspension and the best secured bed? Just asking :D
you obviously have not seen where the Silvy 2WD goes through a ditch and everyone just spins there trying to go over..
The rope trick was not a GM trick, it was a utuber.., but the locking diff gave the silvy advantage over the F150 in the rope tag competation
:D

wingsnut
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats true, and now I am wondering why is the Silverado a Z71 Off Road package instead of the comparable one to an XLT? I guess its so that Ford looks better.

The Z71 package gives you better shocks with better/quicker dampening.

If Ford did not use it, people would be complaining that they should have.

SobeSVT
06-26-2007, 01:33 PM
you obviously have not seen where the Silvy 2WD goes through a ditch and everyone just spins there trying to go over..
The rope trick was not a GM trick, it was a utuber.., but the locking diff gave the silvy advantage over the F150 in the rope tag competation
:D
Spinning in a ditch . . . hmmmm. That sounds way easier to fake than the bouncing bed :p

wingsnut
06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
My 4x4 F150 was offroad 2 times and it was a blast.
It will go everywhere that Chevy goes and more.
nuff said.

Mbukukanyau
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
My 4x4 F150 was offroad 2 times and it was a blast.
It will go everywhere that Chevy goes and more.
nuff said.4X4 performance is a factor of driver skill

wingsnut
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
4X4 performance is a factor of driver skill

The point I did not make clear, is that having 4 wheel drive sort of negates any traction issues between the Ford and Chevy.