Next-gen Cadillac Escalade coming in 2014? [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Next-gen Cadillac Escalade coming in 2014?

scford58
05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-escalade-2014.html

Next-gen Cadillac Escalade coming in 2014?

By Ronan Glon Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 @ 6:38 am

Faced with ever-rising fuel prices and a changing brand image Cadillac seriously considered giving the full-size Escalade SUV the axe.

The Escalade’s success forced Cadillac to seriously reconsider its position and a replacement for the current model is said to be in the works after all.

For the most part Cadillac has kept its lips sealed about the next-generation Escalade but what is certain is that the luxury automaker will not cave in to the car-based SUV trend. The next-gen Escalade will share its body-on-frame architecture with the all-new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups that are scheduled to bow in the near future.

An often-criticized weakness of the Escalade is its less-than-stellar fuel economy, a point that the automaker tried to partially remedy by introducing a hybrid variant several years ago. The next Escalade will likely make wider use of hybrid drivetrains and The Detroit Bureau reports that the Caddy’s abyssal engine bay could even be home to a turbodiesel mill.

Cadillac has not confirmed when the next generation of the Escalade will bow but sources indicate that it will likely make its first public appearance in early 2014 as a 2015 model.

The next-gen Escalade will not be the only luxury SUV offered by an American company. Arch rival Lincoln is said to be working on an all-new Navigator that will bow shortly after the Escalade.

mjd1001
05-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Well, you can't say that it isn't ready for an update, certainly by then, this thing will be really long in the tooth.

scford58
05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I was pleased to hear that a new Navigator is in the works. IMO this is long overdue, but then again I am not a fan of the current Navi. I would like to see a new Aviator introduced.

2b2
05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
^ me too, scford58, tho o'course I want both Navi+Avi on the GRwdP
with NO equivalent Ford(NA) model(s)

...Arch rival Lincoln is said to be working on an all-new Navigator that will bow shortly after the Escalade.
hmm ... "all-new" ... hmm ... could be?

Logans Run
05-25-2012, 06:16 AM
With the F-150 going to a new platform with weight saving materials, the Navigator/Expedition will also benefit from a couple hundred pounds being shed. They have so many engine possibilities here. It will be very interesting to see a standard, a high MPG, and a tire shredding model.

Andrew L
05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I was pleased to hear that a new Navigator is in the works. IMO this is long overdue, but then again I am not a fan of the current Navi. I would like to see a new Aviator introduced.

Long overdue is an understatement.. the current gen Navigator was outclassed the second it came out with the same 5.4 V8 and didn't get an upgrade. The worst part is a King Ranch Expidition offers the same exact features as the Navigator minus THX and Bridge of Weir leather. There is no reason to buy a Navigator unless you want the badge. I got a KR Expedition up to 58,978

2b2
05-25-2012, 01:44 PM
...The worst part is a King Ranch Expedition offers the same exact features as the Navigator minus THX and Bridge of Weir leather. There is no reason to buy a Navigator unless you want the badge...
Agree, Andrew - can't even see How two F-150-based Suvs COULD be all that differentiated.
That's a main reason why I want the Navi+Avi to be based on the Territory side of the GRwdP.

T'Cal
05-25-2012, 10:42 PM
How about an Aviator based on the Flex with its LWB, and the Navigator on the new F150 platform powered by the 5.0L V8 or TT3.5 V6? Scrap the Ford Flex and the MKT.

2b2
05-26-2012, 03:04 PM
How about an Aviator based on the Flex with its LWB, and the Navigator on the new F150 platform powered by the 5.0L V8 or TT3.5 V6? Scrap the Ford Flex and the MKT.
well, imho
Lincoln needs one 3-row about the size of the Explorer and one the size of the Navi/MKT*.
I'm just thinking
- they could be based on the same platform &
- having ones that aren't co-platformed on Ford-US vehicles would be a Plus
&
GRwdP could offer ^those qualities: non-truck-based, not F-Awd-based, designed from the start as luxury vehicles ... then decontent (& shrink it a bit) for the Territory, which afaik would benefit from being a bit over-built (common result of shrinking).

The same formula would work imho for the Continental -> Falcon.
And 5 vehicles on the GRwdP helps profitability - main problem is where to build them.

* I'd still like to see the MKT production replaced with a long wlb sedan (TC = TouringCar)