10 ways German cars rule the road - money.cnn.com [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: 10 ways German cars rule the road - money.cnn.com

2b2
07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
10 ways German cars rule the road - money.cnn.com
By Alex Taylor III, senior editor-at-large @FortuneMagazine
Last updated June 20 2012 (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/autos/1206/gallery.german-cars.fortune/index.html)
There's a perfectly good reason why the world buys cars from Germany. No one else quite measures up.
1. Historical roots that go deep
2. Winning by racing
3. No speed limits
4. Steroid-level brand strength
5. The triumph of technology
6. The right markets
7. Arrogance with a purpose

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I had to stop ^there ... long-winded article, 11?!? pages http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif
&
what more could one say anyway?

Oh, what the heck...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8. The price is very nearly the object
9. Exclusive and super-exclusive
10. Everybody else is in second place

ndwariga
07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Someone is living in the past

2b2
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
^ wel l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l...
after actually reading their 10 paragraphs (not long winded afterall),
imho
- it's a fact that those 'rubrics' ARE in people's minds (still justified or not)
- and that^ has a lot to do with MB's non-carguy reputation surviving the 90's
- not sure Audi is quite there yet (looking at how long their SUA's took to live down)
&
- 1, 2, 4, 5 apply as much to FORD imho...maybe a touch of 7 - tho in a different way: Ford does seem Very "self-directed" to me
and 6 & 10 might well be in the works
- not sure 3 is truly necessary
- 8, 9: imho an "inverse" version might do as much good (I keep hoping that Lincoln will SOMEDAY make any more-expensive car look plain SILLY!)((tho I STILL really want to hear about a BESPOKE PROGRAM! :toetap: ))

Logans Run
07-03-2012, 05:23 AM
I think in the USA, they are losing something though. Many of their core customers bought German cars for their exclusivity...now that they are selling so many, they are not so exclusive. Therefore, a main reason to buy one is no longer valid.
When Lincoln is re-invented it will be more exclusive on one hand and less expensive on the other...

sfbreh
07-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Price is a key focus.

Luxury?

NEEDS TO BE MORE EXPENSIVE.

MaxLegroom
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
It is true that the exclusivity is diminished if I can ponder the idea of owning a new Mercedes. One of my supervisors bought a used one for his wife. However, C Class lease rates make the payments on the Pontiac seem outrageous...

2b2
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Price is a key focus.

Luxury?

NEEDS TO BE MORE EXPENSIVE.
imho ALL Luxury mfgs are going to be scrambling to a degree
to justify their price points with more than "gussying up" what otherwise aren't that different from the mainstream's techno-wonders

Logans Run
07-11-2012, 05:45 AM
It is true that the exclusivity is diminished if I can ponder the idea of owning a new Mercedes. One of my supervisors bought a used one for his wife.

I travel through very rich suburbs on the way to work and pass a few exclusive private scools. I see more Mercedes, BMWs and Land Rovers than I can shake a stick at. I see 2 Maseratis, a Lamborghini, an Aston Martin and a Bently Continental frequently.

There was a time when Mercedes meant exclusive luxury, BMW meant refined sport, and Audi meant...well...a cheaper BMW. Now the makes have blurred their images, and their models are almost interchangable. None of the usual german offerings really stands out when they the line up to pick up their kids from prep school anymore.

Maybe Lincoln can wrangle a few of these people who are dying to be unique, yet don't want to step up to the even more expensive makes and models to show it.

Mbukukanyau
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I travel through very rich suburbs on the way to work and pass a few exclusive private scools. I see more Mercedes, BMWs and Land Rovers than I can shake a stick at. I see 2 Maseratis, a Lamborghini, an Aston Martin and a Bently Continental frequently.

There was a time when Mercedes meant exclusive luxury, BMW meant refined sport, and Audi meant...well...a cheaper BMW. Now the makes have blurred their images, and their models are almost interchangable. None of the usual german offerings really stands out when they the line up to pick up their kids from prep school anymore.

Maybe Lincoln can wrangle a few of these people who are dying to be unique, yet don't want to step up to the even more expensive makes and models to show it.
That is where opportunity for Cadillac, Buick and Lincoln lie

Mbukukanyau
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
imho ALL Luxury mfgs are going to be scrambling to a degree
to justify their price points with more than "gussying up" what otherwise aren't that different from the mainstream's techno-wonders
That is where the leather comes in

cobra#1
07-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Lincoln and Cadillac have the biggest chance if they take the right steps to influences customers they have a far superior product.
Cadillac is closer to accomplishing this, but if Lincoln makes a RWD platform that could be stretched the customers will come.

2b2
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
That is where the leather comes in
that'd have to be SOME leather
http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gifhttp://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/angel.gif
(I can't tell when you're kidding, Mbuku )