2008 Lincoln Navigator [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: 2008 Lincoln Navigator

SobeSVT
07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
2008 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR AND NAVIGATOR L BRING MORE STANDARD FEATURES TO FULL-SIZE LUXURY SUVs

http://media.ford.com/press_files/image_files/08ph_navigator.jpg

Standard Comfort: Several comfort and convenience features are now standard for 2008, including power liftgate, heated and cooled seats, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio, THX® II- Certified audio system, and PowerFold™ Third-Row Seat.
Customer Convenience: A new Rearview Camera System is added to Navigator’s available features for 2008.
Lincoln Navigator L (Long Wheelbase): Provides an additional 25 cubic feet of cargo space
Dramatic, distinctive design: Lincoln Navigator’s look combines power and refinement for the American luxury SUV customer
Quiet, confident driving experience: Navigator’s frame and independent suspension deliver superior ride and handling. Acoustic windshield, thicker glass and tuned mirrors contribute to Navigator’s “whisper quiet” interior

Key Features and Options:

Standard features include: 300 hp 5.4-liter V-8 engine with 6-speed automatic transmission; Genuine wood, leather, and satin nickel trim; 18-inch machined aluminum wheels; HID headlamps; Dual-zone electronic air temperature control; THX® II-Certified audio system with 14 speakers, six-disc player compatible with normal audio, MP3 compressed or text format CDs; MP3 audio input jack; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio; 10-way power adjustable driver/passenger seat with power lumbar and recline; Auxiliary climate control; Power adjustable pedals; Keyless entry keypad; Power liftgate; Power-Fold™ third-row fold-flat seat; Heated and cooled front seats; Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS); AdvanceTrac® with RSC®; Three-row Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags; Front seat-mounted side air bags; Chrome exhaust tip; Dual power-folding mirrors with memory, integrated turn signal and puddle lamps; Reverse Sensing System; Driver memory seats and mirrors.

Navigator L unique standard features include: 25 cubic feet of additional cargo space, Cargo management system and power running boards.

Options include: Monochrome Limited Edition Package; Elite Package; Trailer Tow Package; 20-inch Chrome Aluminum Wheels; Chrome Hood Accent; Premium Leather Seats with Piping; Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System; Power deployable running boards and Power moonroof.

For the entire Press release CLICK HERE (http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1615&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=93)

megeebee
07-05-2007, 02:42 PM
In short, "Expedition Brougham"

SobeSVT
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
In short, "Expedition Brougham"
Naaahhhhh. More like Expedition Landau

wingsnut
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
From Ford:

DEARBORN, July 17, 2007 (FCN) -- The death of the large SUV has been greatly exaggerated, particularly when it comes to luxury vehicles like the Lincoln Navigator.

Armed with an elegant design and a handful of quality awards, Navigator enters the 2008 model year with a number of new standard features that offer customers more value for their hard-earned dollars.

"Our goal for the 2008 Navigator was to simplify the packaging and standardize features that luxury customers desire," said Brett Burin, Navigator marketing manager. "In addition to standardizing great features like the Power Liftgate, PowerFold third row seats and the THX Audio System, we also standardized SIRIUS satellite radio & Heated Cooled front seats."

While no one is predicting large SUVs will return to the heyday of their popularity in the 1990s, the sales for large SUVs rose nearly 6 percent in the first quarter of 2007, according to Edumunds.com. That compares to a 24 percent drop in SUV sales from the first quarter of 2004 to the same period of 2006.

Navigator retail sales have been up for seven out of the last nine months and are up 5% Year to Date through June.

"Research shows that Navigator has an 87 percent familiarity rate which means the general public is very aware of the vehicle," Burin said. "In addition to having a highly recognized name, the 2007 Navigator is also bringing new customers into the Lincoln showroom evident by a 40 percent conquest trade-in rate."

Part of Navigator's current success derives from the all new Navigator L, extended length, model. Launched as a 2007 model, the Navigator L delivers an additional 25 cubic feet of cargo space and is 14.9 inches longer than the standard Navigator.

"In December 2006, we launched the all-new Navigator L to provide our Dealers a vehicle to compete with the large SUVs currently offered by General Motors." Burin said. "In addition to trade-ins from current Navigator customers looking for more cargo space, we are also seeing a wide array of GM customers trading in their current SUV for the Navigator L."

Quality goes hand in hand with luxury and Navigator won recognition in the latest J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. Navigator ranked second only to the Lincoln Mark LT for best quality in the Large Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) segment.

Ford's internal quality data shows Navigator has some of the highest customer satisfaction levels of any Ford products.

In terms of luxury, the 2007 Navigator took the Interior of the Year award in the Premium-Priced Truck Interior segment by the Ward's Automotive editorial staff, excelling above tough competition including the Cadillac Escalade, Chrysler Aspen, Nissan Quest and Land Rover LR3.

The 2007 J.D. Power and Associates Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout Study (APEAL)SM , Navigator landed in the top three Premium Large MAV category. The APPEAL study identifies the features that people find most appealing about their new vehicles, measuring satisfaction with 100 vehicle attributes in categories such as ride and handling, engine and transmission, and comfort and convenience.

The Navigator was completely redesigned for 2007. Adding to the new design in 2008 are new standard features -- power liftgate, heated and cooled seats, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio, THX® II-Certified audio system, and PowerFold™ Third-Row Seat.

New options include a Rearview Camera System. This newly available Rearview Camera System mounts in the rear liftgate handle and is activated when the vehicle is shifted into reverse, giving the driver a clear view behind the vehicle or the hitch for ease of hooking up trailers. The video image is displayed in the self-dimming rearview mirror.

A Monochrome Limited Edition Package also is new for 2008 and features a unique badge, along with body-color exterior accents including lower grille, lower bodyside cladding, upper chrome grille and power-folding heated mirrors with puddle lamps. This package is offered in four monochromatic exterior treatments: White Chocolate Tri-coat, Black Clearcoat, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic. Inside, the package includes unique black carpet and floormats, Ebony wood trim, and unique Stone or Camel seats with black leather inserts and black piping. A stitched Lincoln logo is also placed on each headrest.

Three new exterior colors are available for 2008: White Suede Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic.

wingsnut
07-17-2007, 09:33 AM
A body colored mohochromatic lower grill sounds nice for those who oppose the "boldness" of the Navi front design.

Me, I like it just like it is.

Diesel/_
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
That grille is bizarre looking. It looks like the car has a fat "upper lip".

wingsnut
07-17-2007, 09:45 AM

At least they give you a choice.
Previously you could get the top chrome portion body colored.
Now they allow you to minimize the chrome below.

Have you seen one in person. Looks very nice, especially how it blends into those gorgeous headlights. Jewel-esque even.

Mbukukanyau
07-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I prefer the old Navigator look to this contraption.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11322129/2006_Lincoln_Navigator.jpg

That look is truly Modern and American. The New look is just, the past, 50's and 70's. Kind of like Jaguar

wingsnut
07-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I prefer the old Navigator look to this contraption.
That look is truly Modern and American. The New look is just, the past, 50's and 70's. Kind of like Jaguar

I used to think that the 1st original Navi (also 1st original domstic luxury SUV too) was better too - until I saw them side by side and up close. No comparison at all. The new one looks much more contemporary and richer, as the previous one looked so 90's too me. Great attention to detail too, without all that underside plastic cladding too. That looked real cheap on the old Navi.

But alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

SobeSVT
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I used to think that the 1st original Navi (also 1st original domstic luxury SUV too) was better too - until I saw them side by side and up close. No comparison at all. The new one looks much more contemporary and richer, as the previous one looked so 90's too me. Great attention to detail too, without all that underside plastic cladding too. That looked real cheap on the old Navi.

But alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have also made my peace with the new Navigat and I am one of those that LOVED the old one, especially the interior. Is not like I have a choice, they are all over . . .

2b2
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/PIX.gif
of
- unique badge
- body-color exterior accents including lower grille, lower bodyside cladding, upper chrome grille

I'd like to see if it's anything like an old chop of mine
that's now inaccessible to me as a BON attachment
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1449
would some kind person with an acct there please check?

also
- unique black carpet and floormats
- Ebony wood trim, and unique Stone or Camel seats with black leather inserts and black piping
sounds a lot like a nother idea of mine...
http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/PIX.gif

edit: is this the link (http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1615&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=93)?

falcon lover
07-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Naaahhhhh. More like Expedition Landau

Or "Expedition Crown victoria"

falcon lover
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM

The grille is extreme...maybe deleting the lower grille give the Nav' a better look

igor
07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I would also like some pics .. Sobe do you have access to some pics with the monochromatic package - exterior and interior?

Thanks

Igor

SobeSVT
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I would also like some pics .. Sobe do you have access to some pics with the monochromatic package - exterior and interior?

Thanks

Igor
I'll take care of it . . .

igor
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
since Sobe failed to deliver .. and since I now have media access to FordMedia .. here is the picture:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/iholas/08NAVI_Rning_C8333_HRMedium.jpg

the ebony wood interior was not shown.

Igor

wingsnut
07-30-2007, 10:47 AM
WOW, looks great. Less bling is alwayz good in my book. Are those 20's?

SobeSVT
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
since Sobe failed to deliver .. and since I now have media access to FordMedia .. here is the picture:

Igor

Holly . . . . I completely forgot that I was going to take care of this . . . thank God for igor.
. . . and thank you igor for taking care of my omission. :D

. . . and YES, it looks really good.

LincolnFan
07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
The Navi looks much more handsome imo.

falcon lover
07-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Igor

WAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If here, in Venezuela Ford sell this beautiful baby some day, sure i will change my dear Explorer for a black Nav'

wingsnut
07-31-2007, 08:21 AM
I applaud Lincoln for taking such risks in their front styling.
The V-shaped grill opening is just so played-out by so many. It looks like something I used to draw when I was bored in high school economics class, many years ago.

megeebee
07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
I applaud Lincoln for taking such risks in their front styling.

Well, it's the only area they really could be daring.

wingsnut
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't know,
their award winning interiors and independent suspensions and power folding seats and extending running board type features, etc. seem to have taken a lot of thunder from Caddy as well.

B.R.
07-31-2007, 12:56 PM

Igor

I really prefer the lower body colour grille on the Navi vs the chrome one. It makes it look alot cleaner and it makes the top grille look much better.

ndwariga
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Here are more pictures. I do not understand why we cannot get day pictures just yet.
Click on image for high resolution

http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059511RL396926494.jpg (http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059511O396926494.jpg)

http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059548RL331748407.jpg (http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059548O331748407.jpg)

http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059697RL183239463.jpg (http://photo.ringo.com/225/225059697O183239463.jpg)

megeebee
07-31-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't know,
their award winning interiors and independent suspensions and power folding seats and extending running board type features, etc. seem to have taken a lot of thunder from Caddy as well.

Well, they're gonna have to steal alot more.

Sales through June 2007:

Navigator: 12,059

Escalade & ESV combined: 24,683

ndwariga
07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I would be more concerned about the new Land Cruiser and the updated 2008 QX45, than Cadillac.
While Escalade is King with Navigator right there, Japan is waging war on this segment too. We seem not to be opening the car front too quickly, if Detroit counter attacked effectively aganist Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, and Sonata which seems to have improved quickly, we could start making Japan & Asian Inc fight for their money.

wingsnut
07-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, they're gonna have to steal alot more.

Sales through June 2007:

Navigator: 12,059

Escalade & ESV combined: 24,683

Slowly but surely;)

But should you not include the Mark LT in the mix for Lincoln? Aside from the Caddy costing at least $10K more, they both have a bed - minus the removeable panel of course. I wonder how many people bother with that thing anyway.

ndwariga
07-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Slowly but surely;)

But should you not include the Mark LT in the mix for Lincoln? Aside from the Caddy costing at least $10K more, they both have a bed - minus the removeable panel of course. I wonder how many people bother with that thing anyway.
If I were to buy an Escalade, I would go with the EXT. Its a really nice truck.
I have not driven a Lincoln. Perhaps I should

megeebee
07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Slowly but surely;)

Sales January through June '07:

Mark LT 4332 (down from 6550 same period last year)

EXT 4021 (up from 2209 same period last year)

Not too bad for something that is "at least $ 10K more". Still, the total market for these things is less than 10,000 a year. I dislike them both, myself.

Source: Automotive News Data Center

SobeSVT
07-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Sales January through June '07:
Mark LT 4332 (down from 6550 same period last year)

EXT 4021 (up from 2209 same period last year)
Oh! The brand new one outsold by the old outgoing one . . . despite both their natural jump and decline, respectively.

emdee
07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I would be more concerned about the new Land Cruiser and the updated 2008 QX45, than Cadillac.
While Escalade is King with Navigator right there, Japan is waging war on this segment too. We seem not to be opening the car front too quickly, if Detroit counter attacked effectively aganist Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, and Sonata which seems to have improved quickly, we could start making Japan & Asian Inc fight for their money.

I think GM, and to some extent Ford, have the right idea (GM talks about it more). GM is making a huge effort to leapfrog the Japanese and Europeans both by beating them to market with a truly new generation of cars that will be driven entirely by their elecrtric motors, mounted directly in the wheel hubs. If they can really deliver their "Volt" concept no later than 2011 or 2012 as they keep claiming, they will hit the ball out of the park. I think there's little question that electric motors are a far better way to propel a car, IF we can solve the problem of the batteries or some other form of onboard energy storage. Internal combustion engines are enormously more complex to manufacturer, heavier, noisier, generate far more heat (wasted energy), have less even power delivery, and are far more difficult to scale up and down. Electric propulsion has just one major weakness, which is the energy storage issue, and that's what GM and Ford seem determined to conquer.They're never going to overcome the Japanese and Europeans in conventional automobiles, so taking the lead in electrics is the one great path for their future success. GM seems to think it's very close to solving the problem and has their completely new architecture ready to go. Ford claims to have similar things in development. I wish them both great luck.

Mbukukanyau
08-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I think GM, and to some extent Ford, have the right idea (GM talks about it more). GM is making a huge effort to leapfrog the Japanese and Europeans both by beating them to market with a truly new generation of cars that will be driven entirely by their elecrtric motors, mounted directly in the wheel hubs. If they can really deliver their "Volt" concept no later than 2011 or 2012 as they keep claiming, they will hit the ball out of the park. I think there's little question that electric motors are a far better way to propel a car, IF we can solve the problem of the batteries or some other form of onboard energy storage. Internal combustion engines are enormously more complex to manufacturer, heavier, noisier, generate far more heat (wasted energy), have less even power delivery, and are far more difficult to scale up and down. Electric propulsion has just one major weakness, which is the energy storage issue, and that's what GM and Ford seem determined to conquer.They're never going to overcome the Japanese and Europeans in conventional automobiles, so taking the lead in electrics is the one great path for their future success. GM seems to think it's very close to solving the problem and has their completely new architecture ready to go. Ford claims to have similar things in development. I wish them both great luck.GM does alot of talking, Ford, Its as if they no longer have an advance powertrain sunk works .
Lets wait and see

wingsnut
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
GM does alot of talking, Ford, Its as if they no longer have an advance powertrain sunk works .
Lets wait and see

Just because Ford is not talking it, does not mean that they are not working on it.

Mbukukanyau
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I think this Vehicle should have gotten a new better Dash. This will not cut it.
http://www.fordpower.net/main/images/stories/2007Navigator/07navigator_3.jpg

While the quality of Materials is top notch, surely Ford can get something that looks current century. this is downright 50's. I would rather the Escalade.
The Lincoln Materials look better, but the Escalade lay out is better
http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/general/as.they.like.it/07.escalade.int.500.jpg

SobeSVT
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I have no problem with how the interior of the Navigator looks, actually is a very luxurious SUV. I guess that improved sales somehow shows that it is actually "cutting it".

You may like the Chevy enhanced interior in the Escalade better, but for me it doesn't do it, is not truckish enough and too Chevy for a luxury car . . .

http://us.tnpv.net/2005/WKA200511/WKA2005111005202_pv.jpg http://us.tnpv.net/2007/WKA200702/WKA2007021340703_pv.jpg

LincolnFan
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Lincoln needs a bit more contrast in their interiors. The "all soft and light color" interiors aren't that awesome.

wingsnut
08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
The Caddy screams Japanese to me.

emdee
08-08-2007, 12:03 AM
The center stack on the Lincoln looks very nice, very modern, a lot like some of things appearing in concept cars. It is step in the direction of simpler, cleaner presentation, something seen in Volvo and upcoming BMWs. The problem is that they then go off in a completely different direction with the instrument panel, with exceedingly busy 50s/60s style gauges and shapes. The two sections seem like they belong in different cars altogether. Maybe it reflects a conflict of opinion among Lincoln designers. They've overdone the retro thing. It worked well in earlier Navs, got a little tiresome and blocky in the MKZ, and is downright annoying in the IP section of the 08 Nav. I hope they change it ASAP. It's a shame to waste all those fine materials on such a conflicting design.

falcon lover
08-08-2007, 05:14 AM
The center stack on the Lincoln looks very nice, very modern, a lot like some of things appearing in concept cars. It is step in the direction of simpler, cleaner presentation, something seen in Volvo and upcoming BMWs. The problem is that they then go off in a completely different direction with the instrument panel, with exceedingly busy 50s/60s style gauges and shapes. The two sections seem like they belong in different cars altogether. Maybe it reflects a conflict of opinion among Lincoln designers. They've overdone the retro thing. It worked well in earlier Navs, got a little tiresome and blocky in the MKZ, and is downright annoying in the IP section of the 08 Nav. I hope they change it ASAP. It's a shame to waste all those fine materials on such a conflicting design.

I dont agree. I like the retro style of the gauges. And I want Linconl designers give us back the rectangular and linear speedometer from the 60's and 70's !!

wingsnut
08-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I dont agree. I like the retro style of the gauges. And I want Linconl designers give us back the rectangular and linear speedometer from the 60's and 70's !!

I too like the slight nod to such a rich heritage from Lincoln. I agree that the interior may need some softening, but when your front grill style takes on a look like this..

http://www.streetstars.se/cars/lincoln.jpg

...how can you combine that with anything other than this...

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LincolnNavigator/ImagesL/Dash.jpg

I applaud Lincoln for maintaining a tasteful recognition of their history and offering it to customers that will appreciate it - which is not 25yr olds and younger who have no need for a vehicle like this in the first place.

Mbukukanyau
08-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I too like the slight nod to such a rich heritage from Lincoln. I agree that the interior may need some softening, but when your front grill style takes on a look like this..

http://www.streetstars.se/cars/lincoln.jpg

...how can you combine that with anything other than this...

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LincolnNavigator/ImagesL/Dash.jpg

I applaud Lincoln for maintaining a tasteful recognition of their history and offering it to customers that will appreciate it - which is not 25yr olds and younger who have no need for a vehicle like this in the first place.
The above looks outdated when compared to
http://familycar.com/RoadTests/Acura32TL/Images2005/Dash.jpg

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/BuickLucerne/Images/Dash.jpg

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusES350/Images2007/Dash.jpg

While the materials are top notch and the technology right up there, the blocky design just looks out of place. The Exterior is great though. Lincoln should be applauded for taking risk, but, not the conservative, 1950's look

wingsnut
08-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I disagree. It does not look dated. It looks slightly reminiscent of a wonderful era, combined with high-tech. And it is perfectly integrated into the rest of the style and better than any Honda made today, which is why it wins interior design awards.

LincolnFan
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I am sorry, but the Buick interior sucks so much, the Acura has that gap that I can stick my newspaper in, how thoughtful of Honda.

The Lexus is just bland and there's no luxury feel..

wingsnut
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Mbukukanyau,
at least compare interiors of similar class vehicles. You are comparing sedans to truck-based SUV's.

Here is the Lexus competition for that. Nice pleasing colors, but zero style and nothing to remember. At least the Lincoln has real wood and metal coated dash parts. The lexus has silver plastic everywhere. And how about that lame center pod.

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusLX470/Images2006/Dash.jpg

Even the Infiniti lacks style, at least what they stole from the F-150 center stack anyway.

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/InfinitiQX56/Images/Dash.jpg

The Navi was shown without any lights turned on, and when seen with the lights on it looks much better.

Mbukukanyau
08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Mbukukanyau,
at least compare interiors of similar class vehicles. You are comparing sedans to truck-based SUV's.

Here is the Lexus competition for that. Nice pleasing colors, but zero style and nothing to remember. At least the Lincoln has real wood and metal coated dash parts. The lexus has silver plastic everywhere. And how about that lame center pod.

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LexusLX470/Images2006/Dash.jpg

Even the Infiniti lacks style, at least what they stole from the F-150 center stack anyway.

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/InfinitiQX56/Images/Dash.jpg

The Navi was shown without any lights turned on, and when seen with the lights on it looks much better.You and SobeSVT are soo quick to defend Ford, you do not even take time to look and see clearly. Surely you know Lincoln could use some improvement.
Its like we are playing spot the Truck
http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LincolnMKZ/Images2007/Dash.jpg
The MKZ and the Navigator are all sooo blocky.

wingsnut
08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Did it ever occur to you sir, that you are too quick to condem the designs, calling them dated, right on the heels of them winning interior design awards? Hmmm, there is a thought, ehhh? Perhaps your "opinion" of "blockiness" is another mans idea of a well executed and stylishly appropriate marriage to the rest of the car's design theme - and certainly far more original than a carbon copy of everyone else.

SobeSVT
08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
You and SobeSVT are soo quick to defend Ford, you do ont even take time to look and see clearly. Surely you know Lincoln could use some improvement.
Its like we are playing spot the Truck
http://familycar.com/RoadTests/LincolnMKZ/Images2007/Dash.jpg
The MKZ and the Navigator are all sooo blocky.
Well, that means that you don't like blocky designs not that they are bad per se.

That particular design in the picture above has won the Wards award for best interior two years in a row, so its not only wingsnut and SobeSVT.

I think that all we have established is that you like a softer approach to design which is a distinctive characteristic of the Japanese school of design. GM believes that Lexus' success is due to their design and have copied to the tee, specially in the newer cars, like the Lucerne, Escalade and CTS. Ford believes that Lexus' success is due to their high quality and has copied it to the tee, which is starting be be acknowledge by JD Powers and other quality studies. The design approach of Ford and especially for Lincoln is very unique and the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean is not good.

LincolnFan
08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Too bad Lincoln is going to throw all of this away when the MKS comes, I really like the retro interior design, no one has the ability to capture the essence of the old interiors like Lincoln, now I agree that the two blocks need to be toned down a bit and it needs a little bit more modern touches. Then it would be completely perfect.

There's an old touch that I would LOVE for it to come back, the chrome window switches, I loved that touch in the old Conti but it would probably cause too much glare and the fingerprints would ruin it.

wingsnut
08-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Too bad Lincoln is going to throw all of this away when the MKS comes, I really like the retro interior design, no one has can capture the essence of the old interiors like Lincoln, now I agree that the two blocks need to be toned down a bit and it needs a little bit more modern touches. Then it would be completely perfect.

There's an old touch that I would LOVE for it to come back, the chrome window switches, I loved that touch in the old Conti but it would probably cause too much glare and the fingerprints would ruin it.

I recently got a good look at the final MKS design, both interior and exterior, and I have to say that it looks gorgeous. It takes on a different Lincoln styling theme entirely for an entirely different customer group. That same new look is also applied to the new Flex-based Lincoln CUV as well, which also looks great BTW. It shares almost nothing with the Flex, and Lincoln has specifically targeted their customers for it as well. I welcome the different themes.

megeebee
08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I have no problem with how the interior of the Navigator looks, actually is a very luxurious SUV. I guess that improved sales somehow shows that it is actually "cutting it".

Automotive News Data Center:

Sales for the Lincoln Navigator January through July:

2006: 13,679

2007: 13,602

"improved" is not the word I would chose.

PS: In fairness, the Escalade is down a lot more over last year, but still outsells the Navigator............so far.

2b2
08-08-2007, 03:08 PM

I've been wondering about Lincoln having it's own IPs/gauges, more or less used across All its models, as a way of benefiting from some volume cost-savings while not sharing shapes (or materials) with Ford. [same for Mercury - have its own 'jewelry' on All its models]

...something between the technicolor pinball/videogame look of the Acura shown earlier or some Lexoids
or VDubs (below) or "tuners" or old 70's? graphic displays...
http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee93959/cmd.233/embedded..ee93962 ; &/incorporating some aspects of "haute horlogerie" (expensive watches).

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/173/4418/320/Bell%20%26%20Ross%20BR01%2097%20Power%20Reserve.jp g (http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/search/label/Bell%20and%20Ross) http://bp3.blogger.com/_uPtIzZmCaPk/RmPuNH_WC8I/AAAAAAAAAD4/wiVeee6iNrg/s320/Richard+Mille+016.jpg (http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2007/03/advance-look-of-richard-mille-rm011.html)
Dream Watches (http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/search/label/Bell%20and%20Ross) ------------------ Watchismo (http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2007/03/advance-look-of-richard-mille-rm011.html)
Dream Watches (http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html) ----- Professional Watches (http://www.professionalwatches.com/2006/11/)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6066/690/320/HAUTLENCE-HL04_2.jpg (http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html) http://www.professionalwatches.com/De%20Grisogono%20Power%20Breaker%20N05-thumb.jpg (http://www.professionalwatches.com/2006/11/)
(as small a selection of square-ish 'timepieces' ^^^ as I could make my self post... honest)yet not as extreme as the old IS
http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/01is300_gauges-1.jpg (http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/01is300_gauges.jpg) ; but Waaaay more than than just different face-plates!

emdee
08-09-2007, 12:13 AM
This is a great concept, 2b2, and just what Lincoln needs. I hope someone is listening.

2b2
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
TY, emdee

I know Volvo's designers track trends in non-vehicular design to get ideas -
saw web-pix of displays in their studios where kitchenstuff, electronic-toys, & shoes (iirc) were pictured alongside their drawings

quote from "The birth of modern horological art" article at journal.hautehorlogerie.org (http://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/en/from-our-correspondents/singapore/the-birth-of-modern-horological-art-4121.html) via Watchismo (http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2007/08/birth-of-modern-horological-art.html)
"... the transformation in watches from precision instruments into the most enthralling high luxury commercial art form. How did this change come about? With the proliferation of electronic culture and the insistent confrontation with “time” on PDAs, mobile phones, car dashboards, electronic wall clocks, it is clear that from a pragmatic perspective the mechanical watch is unnecessary. If a watch is no longer a time telling device, no longer a functional instrument used to guide pilots through the night skies or to provide sailors accurate readings of longitude, its sole reason for existence becomes distilled into the single purpose... to emotionally engage its owner. It is in essence a work of art."

paraphrase of the last section:
If a luxury car is no longer just a transportation device, no longer purchased for merely its function, then
its sole reason for existence becomes distilled into the single purpose... to emotionally engage its owner. It is in essence a moving work of art.

btw/ps does "emdee" stand for "M.D."?
cuz I got this pain in my shoulder when I do...

emdee
08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Though I'm often assumed to be the kind of emdee you suggest, it's actually my initials. The confusion happens because in my work I run a pair of medical research and education foundations.

SobeSVT
08-11-2007, 05:56 AM
yet not as extreme as the old IS
http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/01is300_gauges-1.jpg
; but Waaaay more than than just different face-plates!

That looks a lot like my own watch

http://www.sinn.de/onlineshopPRO/norm-pics/103-A-Sa-2.jpg
Sinn 103 A Sa

2b2
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
can't resist adding this (awright, I didn't try)

rmc523 @ BON
Aug 14 2007

I saw a black Navigator today that had a black lower AND upper grille, the only chrome on the front end was the Lincoln star (and headlights). I didn't think of looking at the side for the chrome on the lower part of the doors. The only thing I remember was seeing JUST the star being chrome.
^that's the full post but... link (http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15151.html)

sometimes
tho the monochrome pkg may be a very good start
it just feels like things are happening soooo sloooowly