Ford Taurus goes abroad, on sale in Korea later this month [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Ford Taurus goes abroad, on sale in Korea later this month

1931Chevy
08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/21/f...er-this-month/

Ford is launching the Taurus in South Korea at the end of the month where it's expected to compete with locally manufactured sedans like Kia's Opirus, which we know in the U.S. as the Amanti. Korean versions of the Taurus will get the same 263-hp 3.6L V6 and six-speed auto as U.S. spec cars, putting it in good steed against the local competition. Ford officials are well aware of the Blue Oval's budget image, even overseas in places like Korea, and have no ambitions of targeting brands like Lexus and other imports.

The Taurus is a long standing US nameplate, selling in the States for more than twenty years now, but there's not much cachet in the badge in foreign markets. In recent times, the car has lost favor back and home and even led Ford to replace it with the new Five Hundred sedan. Realizing the mistake of throwing away almost two decades of history, Ford's new CEO Alan Mulally set about reinstating the name and thus it reappeared this year on a facelifted version of the Five Hundred. Of course, all this means nothing to the Koreans, who we're sure will have an affinity for their local brands

2b2
08-22-2007, 06:02 PM
cut & paste from me@GMI
Ford officials are well aware of the Blue Oval's budget image, even overseas in places like Korea, and have no ambitions of targeting brands like Lexus and other imports.

"When the 2008 Taurus is launched in the country late in the month, we will be aiming for the buyers of
high end sedans from local companies such as Kia Motors Corp.'s Opirus," said a Ford Korea
spokesman.

"Despite the improvements and the high quality of the car, Taurus is not a premium brand such as Lexus
and other imported cars and the company is not planning to compete with such automakers with the
vehicle."

By Choi He-suk
(cheesuk@heraldm.com)

DARN - what a wasted opportunity to intro Lincoln-Mercury
start with the Sable instead of the Taurus
then add the MKS next year...

sometimes I think they don't want to try :mad:

Diesel/_
08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
cut & paste from me@GMI

DARN - what a wasted opportunity to intro Lincoln-Mercury
start with the Sable instead of the Taurus
then add the MKS next year...

sometimes I think they don't want to try :mad:
They sell Lincoln in Korea too (www.ford-korea.com).
Foreign cars are making a splash in South Korea, they're
becoming status symbols in a country where it was once
rare to see anything non-korean besides the rare Mercedes
or BMW. Honda's CR-V is the top selling imported car there
and Honda was the top foreign manufacturer in sales in June (a record
695 cars sold) followed by Lexus(648 sold), BMW (614 sold), Mercedes-Benz
(456), Audi (403), and Chrysler (346) according to the Korea automobile
and dealers association.http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/news/article_1328060.php/Honda_wins_record_share_of_South_Koreas_imported-car_market
It's quite interesting really.
And no one wants Mercury, so save your tears.

2b2
08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
...And no one wants Mercury, so save your tears.

past performance (or lack thereof) is no guarantee of future success/failure...
yesterday don't matter when it's gone...
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
(Think of them) as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.
now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer...
&
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be King.

signature du jour_____________
Ash Ford durbatulśk, ash Ford gimbatul, ash Ford thrakatulūk agh luune-burzum-ishi krimpatul;
mi Dearbornien man merka-rokko nornoro

ndwariga
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
This will be Taurus main competitor I think the Daewoo L4X and the new Hyundai they are building
http://photo.ringo.com/229/229358147O794042051.jpg

Mark B. Morrow
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
This will be Taurus main competitor I think the Daewoo L4X and the new Hyundai they are building
http://photo.ringo.com/229/229358147O794042051.jpg

Is it just me or is this a rip off of the 500/Taurus Montego/Sable? The doors and roof line look almost the same as the Ford cars right down to the fender vent.

ndwariga
08-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Is it just me or is this a rip off of the 500/Taurus Montego/Sable? The doors and roof line look almost the same as the Ford cars right down to the fender vent.
This is a GM product from Australia. its the 'Daewoonized' pontiac G8, Holden Commodore

SobeSVT
08-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree, but for some reason GM fans seem to believe this is the next best thing after warm water . . . :rolleyes:

ndwariga
08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
While the vehicles may look similar, Holden's design are true to Holden's heritage. They (holdens) had the vents before Taurus got them.

Personally, I am just glad that Ford and GM are taking the fight to Hyundai.

SobeSVT
08-25-2007, 10:49 AM
The similarities go well beyond the vents. But to be totally fair the original design that both copy is from Audi. The difference is that the Ford designed was headed and supervised by Audi's former design chief while this other car was not.

2b2
08-25-2007, 03:43 PM
imho it's just that picture
in other shots of the Commodore/Statesman(the one with the C-pillar window), the shape is very different
looks more like a non-bangled BMW than anything else to me