Ford Inside News banner

New Ford Special Service Police Sedan with 2.0-Liter EcoBoost

9K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Logans Run 
#1 ·
New Ford Special Service Police Sedan with 2.0-Liter EcoBoost Expected to Achieve Best-in-Class Fuel Efficiency

New Ford Special Service Police Sedan with 2.0-Liter EcoBoost Expected to Achieve Best-in-Class Fuel Efficiency
Sep-18-2013 6:00 AM ET

North America

​DEARBORN - At the request of law enforcement agencies looking to reduce fuel costs, Ford is launching a non-pursuit-rated “special service police” sedan using the 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine that produces 240 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. The special service police vehicle will combine the durability of Ford’s Police

Interceptor sedan with the fuel efficiency of its 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine.

The EcoBoost engine should help make this special service police sedan the first law enforcement vehicle to achieve 30 mpg or better in EPA highway ratings expected in December. The sedan is a modified version of the 2.0-liter Ford Taurus that achieves 22 mpg city, 32 mpg highway and 26 mpg combined with the standard six-speed automatic transmission.

The fuel savings potential of the new special service police sedan compared to the model it will replace is significant. The outgoing 4.6-liter V8 Crown Victoria achieved 14 mpg city, 21 mpg highway and 17 mpg combined; the new 2.0-liter EcoBoost special service police sedan is expected to return 20 mpg city, 30 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined.

When driven 30,000 miles per year – not atypical for police agency work – and with gas prices at $3.65 per gallon, the special service police package would save agencies $5,040.92 over three years.

This same engine in Ford Taurus gained notoriety as a Ward’s 10 Best Engines winner earlier this year.

“Not every police officer needs a pursuit-rated vehicle,” said Jonathan Honeycutt, Ford police marketing manager. “As agencies look to replace older, V8-equipped cruisers with more efficient cars, Ford is at the ready with the most fuel-efficient – yet still very capable – full-size police vehicle.”

The addition of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine means agencies will now have four choices of powertrains in the Police Interceptor sedan, including a V6 lineup that outperforms V8 engines of years past.

Police Interceptor sedan is available with a 3.5-liter V6 with front-wheel drive, a 3.7-liter V6 with all-wheel drive and the powerhouse 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine with all-wheel drive – allowing police to choose the powerplant that best meets their patrol requirements.

While expected to be more fuel efficient than the 3.5-liter, 3.7-liter or 3.5-liter EcoBoost variant, the new special service police sedan retains all the essential police DNA that goes into pursuit-rated Police Interceptor sedans, including safety and durability features. Plus it is upfit-friendly and purpose-built. Commonality of parts remains an integral part of the special service police sedan.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I see a police cruiser on the road, I would say 99.5% of the time they are either driving under the limit and everyone has to pass them, or they are sitting at idle in their office, or just scanning for speeders.

In all those cases, especially idle with 4 vs 6 injectors working, the I4 GTDI makes more sense.

More power and efficiency is coming to the I4 anyway.

#3 ·
When I see a police cruiser on the road, I would say 99.5% of the time they are either driving under the limit and everyone has to pass them, or they are sitting at idle in their office, or just scanning for speeders.

In all those cases, especially idle with 4 vs 6 injectors working, the I4 GTDI makes more sense.

Why is that ?!? I see them all the time parked for an hour or more with the engine running.

#5 ·

Please don't make the mistake of telling the Police what tools they need based on mere observation by a layman. They already justify their equipment, materials, training, vehicles, and overall budgets to a council of laymen who have approved their requests because they have been educated to the real needs for these items. I would never tell a carpenter that he's using the wrong hammer, a lawyer that he's reading the wrong law book, a doctor that he's using the wrong scalpel, or a plumber that he's using the wrong gangly wrench.

Police vehicles tend to spend a lot of time idling as Officers write reports, monitor traffic for violations, conduct surveillance, or discuss with other Officers the call for sevice they just handled. From those low-stress states for both man & machine, Officers will frequently get emergency calls or have to catch up to a violator requiring them to go from idle to balls out very regularly. Special Service vehicles do have their place within most agencies but mostly as administrative, investigative, or training vehicles and rarely as line cars.

#6 ·
Please don't make the mistake of telling the Police what tools they need based on mere observation by a layman. They already justify their equipment, materials, training, vehicles, and overall budgets to a council of laymen who have approved their requests because they have been educated to the real needs for these items. I would never tell a carpenter that he's using the wrong hammer, a lawyer that he's reading the wrong law book, a doctor that he's using the wrong scalpel, or a plumber that he's using the wrong gangly wrench.

Police vehicles tend to spend a lot of time idling as Officers write reports, monitor traffic for violations, conduct surveillance, or discuss with other Officers the call for sevice they just handled. From those low-stress states for both man & machine, Officers will frequently get emergency calls or have to catch up to a violator requiring them to go from idle to balls out very regularly. Special Service vehicles do have their place within most agencies but mostly as administrative, investigative, or training vehicles and rarely as line cars.
There is no reason with the technology, (Cell phones, Radios, GPS) etc, that at least a small town "officer" needs a V8, or High Performance vehicle. I can see in the early 60's before radios were used, that they needed to keep up with the "bandit", but with the cost and such of fuel, a 4 or even 6 cyl is more than sufficient. If an officer wants to carry a 50 cal, then so be it, they should, and they can pay for it, (like the carpenter would his hammer) but they don't need to keep wasting tax payer money while idling their v8 Crown Vic / Full Size Expedition, to keep their A/C running while they are in the restaurant eating or watching their kids play ball, working out at the gym, etc, etc, on company time. (All having their own car to drive home versus sharing a car per shift is a major waste as well in our city) They should put more miles on a car sooner and swap them out more often to get the newer more fuel efficient cars sooner then adding 3 times the fleet so they can all have their own = Cheaper insurance too, since there would be less cars to insure)

Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but there could be some definite cost savings being made by the men in blue...

In our area, it appears to be a race to see who can get the most flashing lights on their cruiser.... one dept out doing the next.

#7 ·

Pretty sure I never once, in my life, ever, told law enforcement what tools to use.

My guess though, is that Ford has a little experience in that department, and worked closely with them on it.
My additional guess, is that they requested more fuel economy…..AS AN OPTION.

I simply agreed.

#8 ·
There is no reason with the technology, (Cell phones, Radios, GPS) etc, that at least a small town "officer" needs a V8, or High Performance vehicle. I can see in the early 60's before radios were used, that they needed to keep up with the "bandit", but with the cost and such of fuel, a 4 or even 6 cyl is more than sufficient. If an officer wants to carry a 50 cal, then so be it, they should, and they can pay for it, (like the carpenter would his hammer) but they don't need to keep wasting tax payer money while idling their v8 Crown Vic / Full Size Expedition, to keep their A/C running while they are in the restaurant eating or watching their kids play ball, working out at the gym, etc, etc, on company time. (All having their own car to drive home versus sharing a car per shift is a major waste as well in our city) They should put more miles on a car sooner and swap them out more often to get the newer more fuel efficient cars sooner then adding 3 times the fleet so they can all have their own = Cheaper insurance too, since there would be less cars to insure)

Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but there could be some definite cost savings being made by the men in blue...

In our area, it appears to be a race to see who can get the most flashing lights on their cruiser.... one dept out doing the next.
I was purposely not condescending hoping to avoid this.

You clearly aren't in law enforcement or in a municipal job so your experience is obviously nonexistant. Mine is 30 years in law enforcement and from that I can tell you that a key element missing from your argument is over cost of operation of a vehicle, something many laymen don't know as well.

The reason the Crown Vic Police Interceptor was so well liked and so popular as a patrol vehicle universally was its low cost of operation, which includes not only its initial cost (which was always thousands cheaper than the MSRP), but also its cost to maintain, its cost to repair mechanically, its cost to repair after a crash, its fuel consumption, its cost to equip, its ability to take damage and be repaired due to its BOF, etc. I always liked the analogy that the CVPI was like a hammer: a rather uncomplicated tool not a delicate instrument that performed well but not the best, that was roomy but not the roomiest, that got reasonable fuel economy but not the best, that was quick but not the fastest, etc. Above all, it was very reliable and very safe. The operational cost was very low compared to the Impala and Charger, but surprisingly, the Tahoe was the best. The reason? The Tahoe held up longer and could be kept in service for up to 150K miles rather than the 75K-100K for the sedans. So, just by looking at a V8 sedan or a V8 large SUV, you wouldn't know that they are in fact the most efficient use of tax payers' dollars.

As for your uninformed remark about a "race to see who can get the most flashing lights on their cruiser," once again you've shown your ignorance. Do you know why Ford brags about its cars' ability to sustain a 75 MPH rear end crash? It's because people are so wrapped up in their own little worlds that they hit squad cars far too often even when they are lit up and striped with reflective markings. In our region, IRMA (Intergovernmental Risk Management Agency) is the insurance company for municipalities. They dictate what safety and emergency equipment should be on Police and Fire vehicles as well as Public Works and other municipal departments' vehicles. More lighting strategically placed lowers the risk of first responders' vehicles from being struck. Most agencies use the rule of thumb that cars and trucks will have three levels of lights: in front they have a roof-mounted light bar, dash-mounted lights, and grille/push bar mounted lights in addition to headlights; in back they add rear deck lights and flashing tail lights. This makes it safer for the Officers so they can respond to emergencies with less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted. To the tax payer, that means a cost savings because municipalities pay less workmans' comp claims, hospital bills, repair bills, lawyers' fees for frivolous lawsuits, etc. Yes, my young and inexperienced friend, there actually is a logical reason that shows up on the bottom line.

Perhaps next time you'll ask the adults why things are they way they are rather than jump to an unreasonable and uniformed conclusion and then embarass yourself by speaking it aloud. Now go to your room! You're grounded, young man!

#9 ·
A typical response from a law enforcement official. (perhaps your an exception to the rule, but regardless, admit it that it's more common than YOU may think)

I personally have a friend that is responsible for having the light bars placed on the new cruisers and I can ensure you they want to be the FIRST with the newest greatest light bars. I know firefighters that on taxpayers dollars are out ball fields coaching their kids and brag about how LITTLE they do. (how they will be (retired at 50 yrs old with full pensions) AND how they have their non union side business or work their non union jobs on their 2 days off.

I realize that I'm stereo typing A LOT, but they ABUSE their badges and definitely abuse and waste tax dollars in OUR community. Therefore, I have a very one sided view... which is not fair, but nonetheless, it's fact were I'm at.

I've witnessed and was almost was ran off the road by an officer that was typing away on his LAPTOP while driving down the road, I followed him to Hardees where he went in to EAT and left his V8 car running in the parking lot. YET Jan 1st, illegal to TALK on your cell phone.. Officers are one of the worst offenders, but are the first to use the "emergency" wild card when doing something illegal.

I'm sure the firefighters and police men of 9/11 gave their lives in the line of duty, but I can ensure you that there are FAR too MANY abusing the system and acting like they are working for the people, but they feel they are above the people.

I can only believe that this is rampant among other cities, and there are other bad apples in the bunch, (I'm sure there are many out there for the good of the people) but I have seen first hand how the all mighty law enforcement use their badge for not what it was intended.) and thus, leaves a very pooooor taste in my mouth!!!!

You can call it what YOU think it is, but lets face it, there are many that ABUSE the badge.... How about the state trooper that BRAGS that he can drive 100MPH plus to INDY and back on the interstate for the Brickyard 400..... (yet you stated "less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted.") you too are one sided!!! I was in the SUV and he did it! basically bragging that he was ABOVE the law... and would get out of it, if stopped...

Fortunately we were not stopped! and arrived home safe. But this mentality is very common among the enforcement agencies across the US and thus not looking out for the good of their communities, but for themselves.

As far as getting hit from the rear end, perhaps the law enforcement should not leave their cars half way parked into the freaking lane when pulling some one over. Your stereo typing drivers as well. I always get over to the left lane (before it was the law) to give them the most space possible.

How about NOT FORCING the person your pulling over to do so in an unsafe way. Let them find a safe location to pullover..on an interstate in excess of 70 Mph+

"This makes it safer for the Officers so they can respond to emergencies with less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted. To the tax payer, that means a cost savings because municipalities pay less workmans' comp claims, hospital bills, repair bills, lawyers' fees for frivolous lawsuits, etc. Yes, my young and inexperienced friend, there actually is a logical reason that shows up on the bottom line."

Young inexperience, here you show your ignorance"

I'm neither young nor inexperienced. There is NO use case that warrants a 13 MPG Tahoe. It's more Reliable, That's BS....

There is a RISK to signing up to be an officer. Just like there is a risk to joining the Military, just like there is a RISK to being a Utility line man. You get paid for the RISK and bitch when it is not in your favor.. thus you sue the taxpayers for the very job you knew there was a RISK when you signed up!

"with less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted." Stereo type type the drivers.... COPS do the same darn thing..... they just aren't held accountable for it. Get off your High Horse and admit it!

Regardless, there is no reason to have a HIGH PERFORMANCE POLICE interceptor...... any more.

Technology has squashed that need and therefore, you can't justify it! a 4 or 6 cyl fuel efficient vehicle is more than adequate to get the job your upholding.

"Perhaps next time you'll ask the adults why things are they way they are rather than jump to an unreasonable and uniformed conclusion and then embarass yourself by speaking it aloud. Now go to your room! You're grounded, young man!"

I don't feel embarrassed at all, I'm mid 40's extremely experienced, and have seen both sides. You know as well as any other reading this post, that they too have witnessed the very things I have stated. They have been unnecessarily passed by the officials that are supposed to uphold the law. and For the RECORD, I do believe we NEED good LAW ABIDING, unselfish officers who truly are in the job to protect and serve and protect the People.

I've just witnessed too many officers that believe they are ABOVE the law and use their badge, vehicles and power to benefit themselves. Let's remember it's a job they CHOOSE and are not forced to take.. We NEED them, but we NEED them to be for the people and not for themselves.

I REALIZE and therefore apologize for using this forum to RANT.... but it is what it is.....

You can also, realize, I admit, that I'm one sided on some of my view points (because I have proof and reasons to be) , but you have yet to see any comments from T'Cal that he believes there aren't any "officials" that abuse their badge... when your "perfect", there is no need of admission of wrong doing.

I guess, I just have a chip on my shoulder, because I have so many State and local officers pass me 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit all the time...
Why is the law ok to BREAK the very law they are sworn to uphold? - Don't even begin to tell me they could be on an emergency call... I've followed them..

Getting back to the Forum and what it is really intended.... I do HOPE that the Ecoboost 2.0 is a winner, it saves us, the Taxpayers money, it MAKES our beloved FORD money and increases market share...

Cuz there is truly no reason for an officer to have a V8 Hemi, V8 Tahoe, V8 Expedition........ that wastes the Tax payers dollars. They can use their Cell phones, Radios and Laptops to do that... while they are idling in the parking lot running the heat and A/C..... 24/7. :)

#12 ·
A typical response from a law enforcement official. (perhaps your an exception to the rule, but regardless, admit it that it's more common than YOU may think)

I personally have a friend that is responsible for having the light bars placed on the new cruisers and I can ensure you they want to be the FIRST with the newest greatest light bars. I know firefighters that on taxpayers dollars are out ball fields coaching their kids and brag about how LITTLE they do. (how they will be (retired at 50 yrs old with full pensions) AND how they have their non union side business or work their non union jobs on their 2 days off.

I realize that I'm stereo typing A LOT, but they ABUSE their badges and definitely abuse and waste tax dollars in OUR community. Therefore, I have a very one sided view... which is not fair, but nonetheless, it's fact were I'm at.

I've witnessed and was almost was ran off the road by an officer that was typing away on his LAPTOP while driving down the road, I followed him to Hardees where he went in to EAT and left his V8 car running in the parking lot. YET Jan 1st, illegal to TALK on your cell phone.. Officers are one of the worst offenders, but are the first to use the "emergency" wild card when doing something illegal.

I'm sure the firefighters and police men of 9/11 gave their lives in the line of duty, but I can ensure you that there are FAR too MANY abusing the system and acting like they are working for the people, but they feel they are above the people.

I can only believe that this is rampant among other cities, and there are other bad apples in the bunch, (I'm sure there are many out there for the good of the people) but I have seen first hand how the all mighty law enforcement use their badge for not what it was intended.) and thus, leaves a very pooooor taste in my mouth!!!!

You can call it what YOU think it is, but lets face it, there are many that ABUSE the badge.... How about the state trooper that BRAGS that he can drive 100MPH plus to INDY and back on the interstate for the Brickyard 400..... (yet you stated "less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted.") you too are one sided!!! I was in the SUV and he did it! basically bragging that he was ABOVE the law... and would get out of it, if stopped...

Fortunately we were not stopped! and arrived home safe. But this mentality is very common among the enforcement agencies across the US and thus not looking out for the good of their communities, but for themselves.

As far as getting hit from the rear end, perhaps the law enforcement should not leave their cars half way parked into the freaking lane when pulling some one over. Your stereo typing drivers as well. I always get over to the left lane (before it was the law) to give them the most space possible.

How about NOT FORCING the person your pulling over to do so in an unsafe way. Let them find a safe location to pullover..on an interstate in excess of 70 Mph+

"This makes it safer for the Officers so they can respond to emergencies with less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted. To the tax payer, that means a cost savings because municipalities pay less workmans' comp claims, hospital bills, repair bills, lawyers' fees for frivolous lawsuits, etc. Yes, my young and inexperienced friend, there actually is a logical reason that shows up on the bottom line."

Young inexperience, here you show your ignorance"

I'm neither young nor inexperienced. There is NO use case that warrants a 13 MPG Tahoe. It's more Reliable, That's BS....

There is a RISK to signing up to be an officer. Just like there is a risk to joining the Military, just like there is a RISK to being a Utility line man. You get paid for the RISK and bitch when it is not in your favor.. thus you sue the taxpayers for the very job you knew there was a RISK when you signed up!

"with less of a chance of being struck by people who are driving while distracted." Stereo type type the drivers.... COPS do the same darn thing..... they just aren't held accountable for it. Get off your High Horse and admit it!

Regardless, there is no reason to have a HIGH PERFORMANCE POLICE interceptor...... any more.

Technology has squashed that need and therefore, you can't justify it! a 4 or 6 cyl fuel efficient vehicle is more than adequate to get the job your upholding.

"Perhaps next time you'll ask the adults why things are they way they are rather than jump to an unreasonable and uniformed conclusion and then embarass yourself by speaking it aloud. Now go to your room! You're grounded, young man!"

I don't feel embarrassed at all, I'm mid 40's extremely experienced, and have seen both sides. You know as well as any other reading this post, that they too have witnessed the very things I have stated. They have been unnecessarily passed by the officials that are supposed to uphold the law. and For the RECORD, I do believe we NEED good LAW ABIDING, unselfish officers who truly are in the job to protect and serve and protect the People.

I've just witnessed too many officers that believe they are ABOVE the law and use their badge, vehicles and power to benefit themselves. Let's remember it's a job they CHOOSE and are not forced to take.. We NEED them, but we NEED them to be for the people and not for themselves.

I REALIZE and therefore apologize for using this forum to RANT.... but it is what it is.....

You can also, realize, I admit, that I'm one sided on some of my view points (because I have proof and reasons to be) , but you have yet to see any comments from T'Cal that he believes there aren't any "officials" that abuse their badge... when your "perfect", there is no need of admission of wrong doing.

I guess, I just have a chip on my shoulder, because I have so many State and local officers pass me 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit all the time...
Why is the law ok to BREAK the very law they are sworn to uphold? - Don't even begin to tell me they could be on an emergency call... I've followed them..

Getting back to the Forum and what it is really intended.... I do HOPE that the Ecoboost 2.0 is a winner, it saves us, the Taxpayers money, it MAKES our beloved FORD money and increases market share...

Cuz there is truly no reason for an officer to have a V8 Hemi, V8 Tahoe, V8 Expedition........ that wastes the Tax payers dollars. They can use their Cell phones, Radios and Laptops to do that... while they are idling in the parking lot running the heat and A/C..... 24/7. :)

For every 1 policeman who breaks some rules, I would hazard a guess there are 500,000 civilians who do same or much worst.

Meh, they are all we have doing a thankless job, so not only do they garner my complete respect and appreciation, I might also look the other way if they break a rule or two and nobody is hurt.

#13 ·
I have to admit...I get the logic of the EB 2.0 Taurus for police detectives and what-not, even though I twitch badly at the thought of 2 liters pushing 2 tons.

More MPG, simpler vehicle, good idea. I just hope the CD4 version fixes the interior space issues....

#14 ·
^I agree. The PI Sedan lacks rear seat room to the point that you can't have a prisoner partition in it. Funny, the last version of the Taurus/500 had lotsmore rear seat head room and trunk space and they share the same chassis.

#15 ·
I have to admit...I get the logic of the EB 2.0 Taurus for police detectives and what-not, even though I twitch badly at the thought of 2 liters pushing 2 tons.

More MPG, simpler vehicle, good idea. I just hope the CD4 version fixes the interior space issues....
I would be driving a Taurus now if it wasn't for the narrow seats and the hugh center consul

#19 ·
Lots to be said for the SHO. AWD, 365hp, sporty looks. I have to admit, tho, I like the looks of the Fusion better and the smaller Ford feels bigger inside than the Taurus due to the big guy's tall console. Imagine the big Ecoboost V6 in the Fusion!

#20 ·
If this is "mediocre" then someone please SHO me excitement in a full sized family sedan that I can drive all year round please.

While I would agree with you on this because I love the SHO, I was actually VERY impressed with an AWD Chrysler 300 I drove last year. However I wasn't crazy about the Audi-esque knock off shifter.

#22 ·
And there is a lot to be said about the quiet thrust of a turbo too.
I don’t think one is clearly superior to the other, just different strokes.
And SHO is far cheaper & easier to upgrade to more power, or downgrade back again to sell or maintain originality. People forget that.

And the SHO is the better handling machine by far, weighs less than AWD 300 and gets better fuel economy.

My point, pretty far from “mediocre”

#24 ·
And there is a lot to be said about the quiet thrust of a turbo too.
I don’t think one is clearly superior to the other, just different strokes.
And SHO is far cheaper & easier to upgrade to more power, or downgrade back again to sell or maintain originality. People forget that.

And the SHO is the better handling machine by far, weighs less than AWD 300 and gets better fuel economy.

My point, pretty far from “mediocre”
Perhaps under the faint blue tint of someone wearing very oval, and very blue spectacles. But for those of us who expect our hard earned dollars to purchase excellence the SHO is simply not adequate, and quite frankly the sales of it reflect this. Better handling machine by far must be a euphenism for heavy understeer when driven anywhere close to its limits. Quite frankly perhaps my ire is directed at Ford having a quite capable ( said to be ) RWD sedan that is meeting its untimely demise , and the only alternative being a twice removed Volvo S80 parading as a performance sedan.

#25 ·
Perhaps under the faint blue tint of someone wearing very oval, and very blue spectacles. But for those of us who expect our hard earned dollars to purchase excellence the SHO is simply not adequate, and quite frankly the sales of it reflect this. Better handling machine by far must be a euphenism for heavy understeer when driven anywhere close to its limits. Quite frankly perhaps my ire is directed at Ford having a quite capable ( said to be ) RWD sedan that is meeting its untimely demise , and the only alternative being a twice removed Volvo S80 parading as a performance sedan.

Rubbish.

You called the Taurus mediocre.
It is far from that, especially in SHO trim which as a family sedan biased with a bit of performance, it does it's job better than most others in that class, as few as they are within it's price range, which comes pretty well stacked with features and luxury too.

So now you are singing the tune that it is not good enough.
I am not interested in that discussion that screams downward spiral of wasted time.

#26 ·
As a buyer in this segment, and an owner of two Ford products if the Taurus was not rubbish in comparison to its better RWD competitors one would occupy my garage today. You said that the Taurus is a better handling car, and quite simply it speaks to a lack of experience in this area or simply a desire only to see Ford in the best light. I certainly value your opinion even though my experience tells me otherwise. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.