Spied: Lincoln MKS Without Cammo [Archive] - Ford Inside News Community

: Spied: Lincoln MKS Without Cammo

ndwariga
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Jalopnik has caught an MKS without Cammo

Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/2009-lincoln-mks-from-new-batman-movie-caught-sunbathing-in-the-nude-296304.php)

megeebee
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/2009-lincoln-mks-from-new-batman-movie-caught-sunbathing-in-the-nude-296304.php

Let it begin................

megeebee
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Any changes from the concept seem to be limited to the grille. The facia looks to be the same. It's hard to tell since the car is black and the lighting isn't the best, but the changes to the rear seem to be limited to the lettering of the badges.

Maybe Wingsnut can tell us if the rear facia is changed at all for the concept.

Still, the sheetmetal appears the same as the concept. I'm sorry, but my own opinion is still that the car's design looks to be exactly what it is: a high end, mid -90's Asian sedan.

SobeSVT
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Holy product placement Batman!!
I'm sorry, but my own opinion is still that the car's design looks to be exactly what it is: a high end, mid -90's Asian sedan.
Megeebee just to understand you. It is your opinion that the MKS looks like a mid 90s Asian sedan. But you go further and say that that's exactly what it is. Now, since the MKS is goint to be built in North America, what characteristic other than the look, in your opinion, makes the MKS exactly a mid 90s Asian sedan?

megeebee
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Megeebee just to understand you. It is your opinion that the MKS looks like a mid 90s Asian sedan. But you go further and say that that's exactly what it is. Now, since the MKS is goint to be built in North America, what characteristic other than the look, in your opinion, makes the MKS exactly a mid 90s Asian sedan?

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I meant to say the DESIGN of the car looks to be a 10 year old Asian car. No automaker in particular, but I see very heavy overtones of Lexus with stops at Acura and Mitsubishi. Nothing original aside from the treatment of the fender extractor (which I'm glad to see. I was afraid it might have been judged too extreme for production).

I wish Ford luck with this. As I've written before, Lincoln needs to successful in this segment and price catagory. I just don't see anything overwhelming enough in its design to move Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti buyers into a Lincoln showroom.

Now, if I were a Buick dealer I might lose some sleep.

2b2
09-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I like it!
from the pix -esp the side shot- it gives an interesitng feel,
Not a stuffy flagship at all - a lot more sporty/trendy/avant-garde yet tasteful
(nice to see the signature wheels too)

re: size
I still think of this as 'midsize' in 'Lincoln-terms',
like the 6'7" middle brother of a very tall family - inbetween his 7foot-tall big brother and his 6'2" 10yo lil'bro

think seeing this flying down the highway,
looking like it's going over 100mph even if it's not,
's gonna look very very good :)

wingsnut
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
That's pretty much it, I think. Bad pics though. No car looks good with colors and lighting like that, yet we do see the bits pretty good, but it is the total look that works together nicely - at least from what I saw.

I like how it blends the waterfall grill with the "split-bow" styling of yesteryear. I think the taillights when lit look really sharp and sooo distinctive (not shown here). The overall shape is fine with me too, and way better than anything from Lincoln recently, especially the LS. These pics really don't do much for it at all. What will really wow is the low MSRP, especially when you add up all the features.

And regarding megeebee's assertion that it looks asian...well maybe that is a good thing if you are trying to steal their customers. I disagree though, and I think 2b2 summed it up best. It certainly does not look 10 years old anyway.

B.R.
09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
It looks like Lincoln has designed a very handsome looking sedan. I like the Lincoln badge on the fender, I like the style of the rear lights, the headight design and it looks like they have kept the exact same rims that were shown on the concept. The only thing that they would need to change is the Lincoln badge in the middle of the grill, it looks too low.

megeebee
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
And regarding megeebee's assertion that it looks asian...well maybe that is a good thing if you are trying to steal their customers.

No. It doesn't work. Cadillac tried for some time to emulate the imports but did not succeed until it created its own look (The CTS in particular). Now I know Cadillac's look is not for everyone, but I think the auto industry as a whole has learned that if you want to woo some one else's customers you can't be seen to be copying their look. There is no reason for a customer to switch if you're product looks very similar to what they already have. At that point, brand loyalty would trump any curiosity for most customers. This is why I am disappointed in the MKS. I'm sure it will be a fine car in most respects. I like very much what I have seen of the interior. This is where I think Ford has established an almost propriatary look. But I am sad to see what amounts to a "me too" overall design for a vehicle that is so important to the future of its brand.

wingsnut
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
It looks like Lincoln has designed a very handsome looking sedan. I like the Lincoln badge on the fender, I like the style of the rear lights, the headight design and it looks like they have kept the exact same rims that were shown on the concept. The only thing that they would need to change is the Lincoln badge in the middle of the grill, it looks too low.

The wheels I saw were not the 18" wheels pictured here that we originally saw on the proto. I like these, but what I saw I liked better, and they were also aluminum. They looked like 20" as welll. These 18" wheels appear to be standard issue.

emdee
09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I meant to say the DESIGN of the car looks to be a 10 year old Asian car. No automaker in particular, but I see very heavy overtones of Lexus with stops at Acura and Mitsubishi. Nothing original aside from the treatment of the fender extractor (which I'm glad to see. I was afraid it might have been judged too extreme for production).

I wish Ford luck with this. As I've written before, Lincoln needs to successful in this segment and price catagory. I just don't see anything overwhelming enough in its design to move Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti buyers into a Lincoln showroom.

Now, if I were a Buick dealer I might lose some sleep.

I don't know how you can conclude this from the few featureless, blurred out pictures provided on the site. You can't make out any features or highlights of the profile; it's just a soft, dark blur, further blocked by the huge JALOBNICK lettering that is lathered across the entire mid-section of the pictures. There's a bit more clarity regarding the grille, which I like. Exactly which mid 90's Japanese car does the rear end remind you of? Or any part of the car? The late 90's Japanese luxury cars I recall were slab sided rectangles with softened edges, period, mostly mimicking older Mercedes models. This car has anoverall wedge shape, rising to the rear, with a gentle, coke-bottle wave extending from the tip of the front fender to the tip of the rear. It has a dog-leg C-pillar, a design feature common to BMWs but almost never seen on older Asian cars (I think the first time we've seen this on a Japanese car is the new 2008 Accord). Based on what little I can actually see in these pictures, the car has a completely contemporary look. Perhaps a bit on the conservative side, but that's always the case with Lincolns. Let's wait for a real picture before drawing conclusions, and even then, remember that few cars look the same in photos as they do in person. Photos are a two dimensional representation, while a real live car design is three dimensional and heavily dependent on how it reflects light from different angles. I want to see it in person, just as we've seen every car we might compare it to.

Diesel/_
09-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Meh. I'm not to crazy about it, but at least they got rid of the
teeny tiny lights/enourmous nostril grille combo from that ugly
concept car. It's nothing special, but overall looks like a decent
car. I like the rear a lot too. Realy disappointed though, this is
more dissapointing than the Jaguar XF. What will Ford do next?

Ach
09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
No. It doesn't work. Cadillac tried for some time to emulate the imports but did not succeed until it created its own look (The CTS in particular). Now I know Cadillac's look is not for everyone, but I think the auto industry as a whole has learned that if you want to woo some one else's customers you can't be seen to be copying their look. There is no reason for a customer to switch if you're product looks very similar to what they already have. At that point, brand loyalty would trump any curiosity for most customers. This is why I am disappointed in the MKS. I'm sure it will be a fine car in most respects. I like very much what I have seen of the interior. This is where I think Ford has established an almost propriatary look. But I am sad to see what amounts to a "me too" overall design for a vehicle that is so important to the future of its brand.

Huh? Except for the low-volume Catera, which was a weak wanna-be BMW, when did Cadillac ever emulate imports? The Seville/STS, Eldorado, DeVille/DTS, and Escalade did not look anything like imports (Japanese or German) and, until the CTS and the current STS, the cars weren't even RWD.

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Huh? Except for the low-volume Catera, which was a weak wanna-be BMW, when did Cadillac ever emulate imports? The Seville/STS, Eldorado, DeVille/DTS, and Escalade did not look anything like imports (Japanese or German) and, until the CTS and the current STS, the cars weren't even RWD.
Its called Revised History. But I see the main point of the Cadillac fan base in being proud of the RWD entries. They are certainly unique in look and try hard to mimic the technologies used by the leaders. The results have been mixed at best since the sales success of the CTS and the Escalade has been elusive for the rest of the range. GM's reluctancy to say how much money Cadillac has made since the 6 billion investment speaks really loud.

MKII
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Not fond of the in your face face (MKR grille), preferred the concept grille execution, side profile is very nice, but surprised with the squared off rear end. Tail lights I am sure are very distinctive when lite, as wingsnut posted. the rear end IMO is out of balance with the rest of the design.

I think the Asian comment is because of the rear tail lights. They make me think of the Chinese company Ssangyong designs.

I do like the direction Lincoln is taking with the MKS, and has very nice maturing potential, I am worried how the dash will end up, from the last pictures I was not liking the not so refined changes made from the original concept, which I thought was very upscale and sophisticated looking.

Why does it seem to be taking years for this car to hit the showrooms. I am afraid by the time it is released it will be very old news.

megeebee
09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Huh? Except for the low-volume Catera, which was a weak wanna-be BMW, when did Cadillac ever emulate imports?.

I was referring to styling.

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Not found of the in your face face (MKR grille), preferred the concept grille execution, side profile is very nice, but surprised with the squared off rear end. Tail lights I am sure are very distinctive when lite, as wingsnut posted. the rear end IMO is out of balance with the rest of the design.

I think the Asian comment is because of the rear tail lights. They make me think of the Chinese company Ssangyong designs.

I do like the direction Lincoln is taking with the MKS, and has very nice maturing potential, I am worried how the dash will end up, from the last pictures I was not liking the not so refined changes made from the original concept, which I thought was very upscale and sophisticated looking.

Why does it seem to be taking years for this car to hit the showrooms. I am afraid by the time it is released it will be very old news.

The car was delayed due to styling changes. But it is more or less taking the time it takes an actual concept (not a conceptualized production ready vehicle show car type of thing) to hit showrooms. About two years. Look at the Camaro and Challenger.

But the mid 1990s high end Asian sedan look alike comment has been bodering me, especially since I find the MKS to be a thoroughly modern design. So I looked for pictures of high end mid 90s Asian sedans, 1995 to be precise since there is nothing more mid 90s than 1995, since I wanted to see how much the MKS resembled these mid 90's Asian sedans. This is what I found:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2526/picture2so3.png
This is the MKS (I didn't want anybody to get confused)

http://onlinecarauctiondeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/lexus260115266478.jpg
1995 Lexus LS

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cardollars/deal23.jpg
1995 Acura Legend

http://images.securedwebform.com/reviews/images/q45car.gif
1995 Infiniti Q45

http://www.theautochannel.com/media/photos/mitsubishi/1998/98_mitsubishi_diamante_es.jpg
1998 Mitsubishi Diamante (could find a big enough picture of the 95 car)

Well . . . What can I say? There is a common design theme in all these mid 90s high end Asian sedans. Is it shared with the MKS? Other of the roundness of the tires and the number of doors . . . I don't think so. You be the judges though . . .

igor
09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
rofl .. the MKS does carry some Lexus (CURRENT Lexus) semblance in the profile - just like the XF does - but that is montly by the simple fact that the cars had the flowing rear ... without the abrupt end of the greenhouse like the 5sereis has.

Igor

megeebee
09-05-2007, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=SobeSVT;6713]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2526/picture2so3.png
This is the MKS (I didn't want anybody to get confused)

http://www.virginiausedcardealers.com/presidential/00896A.jpg

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
If you think those two look anything like each other I think that is a problem between you and your optometrist :D J/K

But in any case, that car is not a mid 90s high end Asian sedan. Is more like mid 2000's (I think that is an 06 or 07 Mitsubishi), you were like 11 years off in your stylistic assessment. So I wonder if you initial statement was just an exercise in polite bashing. Well, who cares, at least it was polite.

Your new comparison though is not totally without its points. I see a few more common elements with this car than with the mid 90's high end Asian sedans, like the raised belt line, the curved roof line or the flowing rear, but those are hardly the monopoly of any car these days. I hope I am not too daring if I say that the execution in the MKS is a gazillion times better than the Mitsubishi you posted for comparison.

Do these common elements make the MKS a bad design, hardly. On the contrary the MKS is looking really good. Bold and innovative design can go both ways, just look at egregious flops like the 7 series, the Solara, the XLR and the SRX. Maybe Ford decided that they wanted to play it safer with the MKS and they would take more risks further on with the MKR if they ever decide to give it the go ahead.

ndwariga
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Even I TUT who sees things that mere mortals cannot see, does not see what you see.
Plus is that not a 2003 Galant? Your original claim was 90's!! Time Warp Megebee?
I can see a window design that mimics current Lexus GS.

megeebee
09-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Even I TUT who sees things that mere mortals cannot see, does not see what you see.
Plus is that not a 2003 Galant? Your original claim was 90's!! Time Warp Megebee?
I can see a window design that mimics current Lexus GS.

All Hail, Son Of Isis, Horace, and Toth. Beloved of the Moon and Sun. You rightly point out my error. I recind my previous statement and set forth a new one. The MKS looks like an early 2000's MID-range Asian sedan (albeit with all options and apprearance packages)

Anyway, I see very much in common. I know it makes me unpopular here, but it is how I see it.

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
All Hail, Son Of Isis, Horace, and Toth. Beloved of the Moon and Sun. You rightly point out my error. I recind my previous statement and set forth the a new one. The MKS looks like an early 2000's MID-range Asian sedan (albeit with all options and apprearance packages)

Anyway, I see very much in common. I know it makes me unpopular here, but it is how I see it.
You change your opinions too much too often . . . :p

falcon lover
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I agree with megabee...look like mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I agree with megabee...look like mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!
Here we go again . . . :rolleyes:

Would you kindly enlighten us and tell which "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!" you mean? Would you maybe post a picture or two of this "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!"?

Thank you

falcon lover
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Here we go again . . . :rolleyes:

Would you kindly enlighten us and tell which "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!" you mean? Would you maybe post a picture or two of this "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!"?

Thank you

Ha ha ha ha ! I love you, Sobe, but you must acept that the MK S dont look the upscale it need to look. Is so so, but isnt spetial or distinctive. the MK R grill e isnt rigth, too..... the original grille in the MK R is better designed.....Is a pity!!

SobeSVT
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Ha ha ha ha ! I love you, Sobe, but you must acept that the MK S dont look the upscale it need to look. Is so so, but isnt spetial or distinctive. the MK R grill e isnt rigth, too..... the original grille in the MK R is better designed.....Is a pity!!
I respect all that, its your opinion and you are entitled to it, also the love part is very cool. BUT you also made a factual assertion. That the MKS look like a "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!", since I don't agree with that one bit, I want to know which "mid 90 asian sedan....or may be: Korean sedan............!" you mean. Who knows? perhaps you end up changing my mind. I am very curious about this, the question is still out there.

LincolnFan
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
The MKS is just a few touches away from being a real classic, it's classy as it is and I like the design except some stuff I don't like.

emdee
09-06-2007, 04:06 AM
The MKS is just a few touches away from being a real classic, it's classy as it is and I like the design except some stuff I don't like.

I say unto all: ye have yet to see the real spirit of MKS, in all its three dimensional, reflective glory.

One of the car mags a month or two ago printed an excellent article on automotive design. It defined all the various terms that are tossed about. One of the points that I found most striking was how much designers deliberately played to the way light would reflect off the car and its curves, bulges and indentations. Those shiny spots and areas of glare we see in two dimensions in photos are a carefully designed and intended part of the way a car looks. I didn't know that. Always thought they were accidental. My point: only the most expertly arranged photos give more than a hint of what a car will look like in the metal. Whether the MKS truly looks luxurious, classy, sporty, modern, or dudly, we have yet to know.

emdee
09-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Here's a link to a much clearer version of the MKS from the set of the Batman movie. This time it doesn't have "Jalobnick" smeared across the picture. Now the profile is revealed, along with those reflections I keep harping about.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/04/spy-shots-lincoln-mks-in-the-buff-on-the-set-of-batman/

wingsnut
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
It sounds like those reflections will be even more dramatic with this new color. It's the subtle details like this that really make a car distinctive. I am glad Lincoln stayed away from the retro design for this car and I am OK with the slightly conservative styling for this base model as well. They can tear-it-up later with the GTTDI and it's AWD performance and make it more dramatic. This looks great, and not at all "90's Asian."

Buick61
09-06-2007, 01:56 PM
How is this "American Luxury?" It's a Lexus/Buick/nameless car in a Bank commercial amalgamation.

You expect people to swoon over this?

SobeSVT
09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
How is this "American Luxury?" It's a Lexus/Buick/nameless car in a Bank commercial amalgamation.

You expect people to swoon over this?

That depends on what you mean by "people" . . .

. . . if you mean the same crowd that is letting the 300s of the world languish in Chrysler dealer lots throughout the nation, I would say YES. I believe there is good taste left somewhere.

Logans Run
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
One thing bothering me on the side shot is the C pillar.
It looks like they didn't get the shape they wanted, and tacked on a little chrome piece to the door frame. I hope I'm wrong. It would look like a cheap fix instead of a new design if not. I will hold judgement on the grille, till we see better shots.

Buick61
09-16-2007, 08:32 PM
That depends on what you mean by "people" . . .

. . . if you mean the same crowd that is letting the 300s of the world languish in Chrysler dealer lots throughout the nation, I would say YES. I believe there is good taste left somewhere.

As usual, you're high in drama, low in facts.

The 300 has a near-perfect days-to-turn. For the Summer, the 300 sat on lots for an average of 65 days. 60 days is generally ideal. They hardly "languish."

wingsnut
09-16-2007, 11:21 PM
As usual, you're high in drama, low in facts.

The 300 has a near-perfect days-to-turn. For the Summer, the 300 sat on lots for an average of 65 days. 60 days is generally ideal. They hardly "languish."

Is the 300 or the 300C siting on lots for 65 days? Big difference.

Buick61
09-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Is the 300 or the 300C siting on lots for 65 days? Big difference.

They don't break it out by trim level.

MKII
09-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I have been looking at the interior pictures and comparing the concept and the latest spy pics of what I assume to be close to production interior.

Couple of questions or observations come to mind when comparing such as
The seat design in the concept looks fitting for this segment wuth the extend seat cushion for support on the legs and the contoured side bolsters, but in the spy pics of the assumed production model, the seats are completely down graded to what I would consider not so nicely detailed for this segment of a car. What happened is the MKS not going be to as upscale as I had assumed?
Or it is not expected for a Lincoln to have such type seats, which one might see in a upscale euro sedan etc?

Also the the switchgear in the concept appeared very upscale as well as the air vents most notable the centre vents, same observation, in the concept were very fitting for an upscale vehicle, but again they looked to have installed rather large square chunky air vents, which my first thought was from maybe one of Fords trucks.
The overall layout is very nice and has not changed too much from the concept but its in the details that stand out in this segment. Another small but noticeable detail missing such as a leather boot wrapping at the base of the shifter in the concept, which is not there in the assumed production spy pic.

Other changes such as the steering wheel in the concept had what I would call that classic Lincoln style, but in the production spy pic, just a normal black could be any cars steering wheel. Small detail but again in this segment very noticeable.

The concept gave a perception of all the interior bits integrated very nicely, the way the nav screen fit, and the way the suede dash top curved around the nav screen. Very nice, but again the way it appears in the production spy pics the nav screen is much smaller with some kind of buttons/dials with the suede dash top overlapping the clean chrome line that was present in the concept, by bringing the suede lower into the 2 black square air vents and framing these vents and nav screen with alumimun edging, cutting off again the straight chrome line that flowed into the passengers side of the dash above the glove box, which framed the brushed alumimun dash panel which has been replaced in the spy pic with what looks like usual black plastic. I am sure it is a soft texture, but looks rather usual, and does not give the perception of again upper segment detailing.

What segment is he MKS shooting for?

When I saw the concept my thoughts were something just under the Volvo S80, BMW 5 series.

But if the spy pics are showing close to production reality, I have no idea what segment or price point the MKS is aiming for.

wingsnut
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I have been looking at the interior pictures and comparing the concept and the latest spy pics of what I assume to be close to production interior.

Couple of questions or observations come to mind when comparing such as
The seat design in the concept looks fitting for this segment wuth the extend seat cushion for support on the legs and the contoured side bolsters, but in the spy pics of the assumed production model, the seats are completely down graded to what I would consider not so nicely detailed for this segment of a car. What happened is the MKS not going be to as upscale as I had assumed?
Or it is not expected for a Lincoln to have such type seats, which one might see in a upscale euro sedan etc?

Also the the switchgear in the concept appeared very upscale as well as the air vents most notable the centre vents, same observation, in the concept were very fitting for an upscale vehicle, but again they looked to have installed rather large square chunky air vents, which my first thought was from maybe one of Fords trucks.
The overall layout is very nice and has not changed too much from the concept but its in the details that stand out in this segment. Another small but noticeable detail missing such as a leather boot wrapping at the base of the shifter in the concept, which is not there in the assumed production spy pic.

Other changes such as the steering wheel in the concept had what I would call that classic Lincoln style, but in the production spy pic, just a normal black could be any cars steering wheel. Small detail but again in this segment very noticeable.

The concept gave a perception of all the interior bits integrated very nicely, the way the nav screen fit, and the way the suede dash top curved around the nav screen. Very nice, but again the way it appears in the production spy pics the nav screen is much smaller with some kind of buttons/dials with the suede dash top overlapping the clean chrome line that was present in the concept, by bringing the suede lower into the 2 black square air vents and framing these vents and nav screen with alumimun edging, cutting off again the straight chrome line that flowed into the passengers side of the dash above the glove box, which framed the brushed alumimun dash panel which has been replaced in the spy pic with what looks like usual black plastic. I am sure it is a soft texture, but looks rather usual, and does not give the perception of again upper segment detailing.

What segment is he MKS shooting for?

When I saw the concept my thoughts were something just under the Volvo S80, BMW 5 series.

But if the spy pics are showing close to production reality, I have no idea what segment or price point the MKS is aiming for.

You have not yet seen the final production version to adequately base these questions on, so.........

emdee
09-24-2007, 03:52 AM
I have to agree with Wingnut here. Neither the pictures of the concept nor the pictures of the mid-summer 07 pre-pilot cars can possibly be accurate representation of the real look of the production MKS coming in mid-08 The concept interior is a "Las Vegas" fake and few if any of the parts shown are functional or real. They are produced by model makers and at best hint of the general look of the car that will come. Some aspects of it, like the thick lump of suede-covered stuff on the dashtop are, in my view, ridiculous. It looks like something thrown together with great haste. It is obviously not integrated into the rest of the design and simply lays on top of everything else. Likewise, the dash vents seem to be phony, as is the display screen (notice how it just sits on top of the surrounding material; a real LCD nav screen would never be put together like that without a frame holding it in place). The entire center console is very likely no more than a plastic mockup.

Then there's the "real" (or slightly more real) dash of the summer 07 car. First, these are not "near production" or "pilot production" vehicles. Not even close. They are test beds of the body and general interior. A Lincoln engineer who speaks often on the LLSOC who is one of the people driving these things told us they were very far from production quality and that the real tuning nd development was just beginning. Before this set of handmade prototypes, everything has either been in the computer or in "mules." The production parts that will be used in the interior haven't been made yet. The suppliers of such things make just enough facsimiles, based on specs and drawings, which are used in the construction of these prototypes. Then the real work begins. While the general layout of the interior is mostly locked in, the look and feel of parts is just under develolpment. The real things may look quite different int detail, in texture and how the various pieces fit together. This kind of thing can't be fully determined until all the pieces, coming from a number of different suppliers, are integrated in test-bed vehicles. That's the work that's going on now. Oh, and I have yet to see pictures of any of the "summer '07 test beds" that have a nav system on the dash, so I don't think we can yet complain about how the nav system looks. The small black rectangle on the dash looks like part of the media system, but it's definitely not big enough to be a nav screen.

Give Lincoln a little credit here. Their engineers didn't just fall off the turnip truck. They know what's at stake with this car and they aren't going to sit back and let it look or feel cheap.

Take a good careful look at the new Taurus and Sable models. Though these are made to a price point at least $10,00o to $15,000 lower, the interior is as nice as anything near their price range. Though the design is unchanged from the 500, it has been fine tuned, like the rest of the car, and looks and feels more expensive in every way. Lincoln will take it a higher level for sure, just as they did with the MKZ, which has a quite expensive looking interior, with lots of real wood and brushed aluminum (not just painted plastic like to so many other cars).

MKII
09-24-2007, 06:06 AM
So what segment is the MKS fitting into or has it been designated a segment?

Are you are saying that the seats shown in the concept might be a possible seat choice?

I understand concept pieces are fake and non functional, but what is the purpose of this. Must be for tracking the reaction/responses from Joe consumer used to further develop the vehicle yes?
Are you saying the steering wheel, leather gear shift boot shown in the concept, things normaly found in a car are not possible to see in the real production. Sorry I made a mistake with the nav screen, but I hope you got my point as far as execution of whatever the functionality of this small black rectangle thing is.

So the spied mule, you say is not "near production" or "pilot production" vehicles. Not even close, means the final design/execution could be "not even close" to what has been shown in the concept or not near production mule. Or your comments are referring to the actual materials used and not meaning execution?

All my other comments are observations, not meant to bring up a defensive reaction. Isn't that why concepts are shown and spy peaks allowed leaked? I am not allowed or it is in poor taste to make observations or have in-adequate questions/comments on a soon to be released Lincoln, but not seen production MKS. Do I take this as STFU comment from you wingsnut?

But my main question was "what segment is the MKS considered?" If I am allowed or is this an in-adequate question as well?

2b2
09-24-2007, 05:11 PM
So what segment is the MKS fitting into or has it been designated a segment?...

at this point all we can do is guess (which we've been doing ad nauseum)
but since I love repeating myself ;):

largest segment = white space; a thoroughly modern interpretation of a large, luxurious, omni-capable sedan

"cross-shopping" list (reposted from this thread (http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2085#post2085) < click for details)
Lurcerne & Avalon, ES/LS/GS, M35,45/nextgenQ45, Passat/A6/A8, DTS/STS/CTS, Acura(they wish!), 300, G8
notice there really is NO direct competition!!!
imho the closest would be IF you could combine the best qualities of the 3 Lexoids.
OR
if GM offered the ParkAvenue that all the GM fans are screaming for (& which could put Cadillac in a world of hurt)

& internally
sort of what the last Continental should have been, with a heaping spoonful of LS

MKS = the car that brings real "worth" back to the lux market.
(& its target demographic knows all about that from its stock market experience)

wingsnut
09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Give Lincoln a little credit here. Their engineers didn't just fall off the turnip truck. They know what's at stake with this car and they aren't going to sit back and let it look or feel cheap.

LOL...I totally agree.
It's not like Lincoln is NOT winning any interior design awards with the MKZ, which began it's design back in 2002, as a 2006 model. Besides, there are plenty of other forums that are bashing the MKS - simply based on bad pics of pre-production runs. Analyzing it at this point or dissecting it's percieved flaws is another waste of time IMO. I have seen the MKS and it looks fabulous, and although that is also MO, there is no doubt that it will sell well because it will be an incredible value. Which is what Lincoln is all about.

timmm55
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I chopped the bad spy shot into the preproduction show car.

2b2
09-26-2007, 01:25 AM
hey Tim, can your software change the color to dark blood red? (tho your bronze-sand is better than their 'celadon')
doing it with my software would be a lot of work ...if I didn't want pink chrome ;)

timmm55
09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
hey Tim, can your software change the color to dark blood red? (tho your bronze-sand is better than their 'celadon')
doing it with my software would be a lot of work ...if I didn't want pink chrome ;)

I tried LOL