Ford Inside News banner

First 1,000 next-gen Mustangs to be limited edition 2014 1/2 models

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
First 1,000 next-gen Mustangs to be limited edition 2014 1/2 models
Mustang Daily
By Drew Phillips
July 18, 2013

Back in November a Ford social media representative on TheMustangSource.com forums posted that Ford would produce a limited number of 2014 ½ Mustangs to celebrate the car’s 50th anniversary. “The 2014 ½ will be the 50th Anniversary edition,” the representative stated. “It will be added to production for a limited run sometime during the year.” She later retracted the statement, saying,” Okay, we made a mistake. We misunderstood the information and we’re sorry for causing all this confusion.”

However, according to our inside sources at Ford, we can now confirm that a 2014½ Mustang is still in the works. Ford will build just 1,000 examples of the limited edition 2014 ½ model, which will be the first Mustang to be based on the next generation S550 platform. As the cars are sure to be instant collectors’ items (we fully expect the dreaded “market adjustment” prices from dealers), each one will come with a special VIN and build number.

*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#2 ·
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ford make an official announcement years ago that there was never a 1964.5 Mustang?

A good friend of mine is a Mustang fanatic, owns 4, and he said where 1964.5 came from was that the first run had generators (along with GEN dashboard nomencalture) then Ford switched over to alternators (ALT) after a few months of production. And that is where the ’64.5 myth came from amongst Mustang enthusiast.

#3 ·
That could be a good gift from Ford for the Mustang fans. And could be a collectible classic, too. If the car will be ready for April 2014 premier, between april and december a limited number of cars with the 2014 1/2 desgnation is not impossible

#4 ·
adding to what I said last night
...WorldCarFans adds, "...Each one will reportedly feature a special VIN and build number as well as a rumored 5.0-liter V8 engine that produces approximately 450 bhp (335 kW). There's no word on any other changes, at this point..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
^ thinking about this & reading comments elsewhere
just-imho
there will be 2 Anniversary marketing ploys:
first 1000 - more elaborate badging plus(maybe) some mechanical special thingies
after 1000 - more discrete badging and regular mechanicals...
I still believe there will be a grand finale Anniversary model for the 2014my S197 - as Ford has done in the past - and as was media announced/speculated a while back
so
3 (THREE) ploys to give fans an Anniversary fix

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ford make an official announcement years ago that there was never a 1964.5 Mustang?

A good friend of mine is a Mustang fanatic, owns 4, and he said where 1964.5 came from was that the first run had generators (along with GEN dashboard nomencalture) then Ford switched over to alternators (ALT) after a few months of production. And that is where the ’64.5 myth came from amongst Mustang enthusiast.
correct, ejd1984
there never was PER FORD (or so I've read many times) ANY 1/2 year Mustang...
...OR Any vehicle PER THE GOV'MINT (or so I read several times yesterday); ie Every VIN is one year or another = no halves possible
that said
yes, there were running changes (aka a Job2 in the Fall) during the initial Mustang's long first "year" (don't remember exactly but there were definitely more than 12 months to the Mustang's 1965my)
((& iirc, releases as early as April were Very unusual back then - tho can't say quite unique iirc2 - the Fall release of every model a Brand had was still S.O.P./expected iirc3))

That could be a good gift from Ford for the Mustang fans. And could be a collectible classic, too. If the car will be ready for April 2014 premier, between april and december a limited number of cars with the 2014 1/2 designation is not impossible
imho
more of a gift from Ford to The DEALERS

who will undoubtedly jack up the price double = $100k easy!!
and
Very interesting theory about the 1000's build dates
tho
imho it's more likely Jan2014, just after they show it at NAIAS (maybe guaranteed delivery ON April 17? ...or April 2nd-NOT-1st? ...for on-the-road mindblowing? with regular 2015s embargoed until the 17th?
sooooo many possibilities!)

.....ACTUALLY
I bet NAIAS will ONLY show the 2014½ versions
( &
NYC = the full initial versions, maaaaybe plus the first SpecEd
LAIAS2013 = the 2014my Anni Edition , tho I expect it web/press-debuts earlier
but
I STILL hope LAIAS has a clear-plastic bodied roadster to show the S550 platform while cruelly-hinting the final sheetmetal-minus-greenhouse!!
) (edit:
added torture idea...
have the roadster with NO body panels at all during pressdays
then
add One clear panel each day of the autoshow
muah ha ha)

#5 ·
Ford knows how to market Mustangs and they are proving that again with this bit of news. I'm very hopeful about this car as I am about the next Camaro what with all the positive press about the ATS. The Challenger's major update is great news too. The next 2-3 years will be very interesting for us enthusiasts. Decisions, decisions...

#6 ·
If they are moving away from retro that will really open up the interior design and materials (probably keep the dual cockpit) which is one area that has been criticized. I really hope they get arid of those annoying fat stubby needles in the gauge cluster.

#7 ·
I'm expecting an instrument panel similar to that of the Taurus/Explorer/Flex with MFT. That is, the analog gauge in the center flanked by a pair of reconfigurable LCD screens. In the Mustang I'm hoping the analog gauge is the tach with its redline at 12 o'clock and a built-in LED speedometer at 3 o'clock. I would want analog gauges also for fuel, temp, volts, and oil pressure or at least digital representations of analog gauges in the aforementioned pair of screens.

#8 ·
I'm convinced that we will not see the new Mustang until April 2014 . Is the 50 anniversary! And the production will start by the 4th quarter of the 2014 year. But i hope a (maybe non-official named, but dealers named) small production 2014 1/2 cars will be at deales before the end of the year.

#9 ·
still following threads elsewhere, something inside my head just went *CLICK* (s'ok didn't hurt ...much)
• my rant for showing some form of S550 in LA - imho a clear-plastic roadster with fairings covering the rearseat
• thinking how a "collectors' edition" "2014½" has No Need to be practical
• and what it would take to be spectacularly different with infuriating regular fans
• AND the timetable of regular models not showing until the NYC autoshow but HAVING to make major impact @ NAIAS
VOILA:
the "1000" 50th Anniversary NAIAS Mustangs will be a Roadster loosely inspired by
thread Link
maybe with a separate removeable/replaceable hardtop (that just might be styled to get feedback on offering a notchback version?)

#11 ·
soap(horse?)opera-digest edition:

• enquiring minds wonder if the current Mustang's AnniversaryEdition/swansong** will be a sorta roadster too? - maybe just convertible-only with a solid fairing-cover included to hide the rear "seats"
(to be unveiled approx.on LaborDay, Sept4-5 see next)

• the dramatics move to Jollypop(Jalopnik) who cashed in on a Mustang6g.com scoop
(
member, thirtycenturyman)
...no confession of complicity has been seen from MotorAuthority, implicated as the facebook page source, nor FoMoCo yet

• meanwhile
our hero, Wingsnut, is being re-quoted at Mustang6g regarding S550 styling hints

** FiN thread: "Ford unveils Mustang 50th anniversary logo, plans merchandise"
&

via Mustang6g's "Vickstang"

#12 ·
re: the current gen:
Ford PH introduces special Mustang; Ford starts Mustang video series - motioncars.inquirer.net
By Jason K. Ang
August 4th, 2013

In celebration of the Mustang’s 50th anniversary this year, Ford Philippines is releasing 50 units of the 5.0L Mustang V8 GT Premium edition. The sports car will be available in two new exclusive colors: Grabber Blue and Gotta Have it Green, with racing stripes. Interior appointments include Recaro sport seats. The price is P3 million, for which you will get one peso in change...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.