Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

    Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

  1. #1
    Ford Falcon Ute SobeSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sobe, FL
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    The 1987 Rotary Taurus
    by
    DICK NESBITT


    The endless generosity of Dick Nesbitt allows FoMoCo News to bring you these great sketches of a design study for the 1987 Rotary Taurus.

    This was an exploration for a concept car that would signify the alliance between Mazda and Ford. The wheel design is inspired by the rotor in a rotary engine. The Rotary Taurus design illustrations were made by Dick Nesbitt in his capacity of consultant automotive designer to the Rochester, New York Auto Show in 1987 to help promote Ford's new design direction

    Enjoy this bit of recent history.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ford Kuga Mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In Front of my Computer
    Posts
    1,698
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Sorry, that looks bad.. like a space age car, it would really look old and bad today, like a pontiac

  4. #3
    Ford Falcon Ute SobeSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sobe, FL
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
    Sorry, that looks bad.. like a space age car, it would really look old and bad today, like a pontiac
    Don't be sorry. Its your opinion. I would only suggest that you situate yourself in 1987, 20 years ago. The first Taurus was only two years old and GM designers were still laughing at it, calling Ford design Jelly Bean design.

    Keep also in mind that the Rotary Taurus was meant to be a show car and thus never intended for production but rather to explore the extremes of a design theme that was turning out to be very popular. Timeless quality of such type of a project is not high in the list of priorities. These are the days of the Ford Probe concepts and the Ford Sierra in Europe, a very interesting era in car design would be a lot of fun to research if car design is your thing.


    1985 Ford Probe V

    Pontiac was doing this kind of thing (and not very successfully) two years ago. I would agree, THAT was bad.

  5. #4
    Ford Kuga Mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In Front of my Computer
    Posts
    1,698
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    SobeSVT I think your dislike for GM leads it to cloud your analysis of their situation.
    I agree with your opinion of pontiacs a few years ago. But, boy Pontiac is cleaning up its act.

  6. #5
    Ford Falcon Ute SobeSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sobe, FL
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
    SobeSVT I think your dislike for GM leads it to cloud your analysis of their situation.
    I agree with your opinion of pontiacs a few years ago. But, boy Pontiac is cleaning up its act.
    I would agree had I been analyzing Pontiac's situation. I think that we could talk about their situation in the appropriate thread (or message board). This is the Vintage Ford section. Any reference I made of Pontiac was about what they were doing two years ago and only in response of you bringing them up.

    This is about the Rotary Taurus and that was what I was talking about. I will reiterate, these are 20+ years old designs and you have to think of what was going on then in order to appreciate them. Comparing 20 year old Ford design with very recent Pontiac designs, is totally out of place and if I may say it, very unfair . . . for Pontiac.

  7. #6
    Mercury C557 2b2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
    Posts
    12,825
    Thanks
    2,171
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 847 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
    ...Keep also in mind that the Rotary Taurus was meant to be a show car and thus never intended for production but rather to explore the extremes of a design theme that was turning out to be very popular. Timeless quality of such type of a project is not high in the list of priorities. These are the days of the Ford Probe concepts and the Ford Sierra in Europe, a very interesting era in car design would be a lot of fun to research if car design is your thing...

    I *love* these peeks into Ford's designs I never saw or heard of before.


    In addition to the Probe & Sierra, can also see some shared DNA in the more recent Prodigy concept

    which continues (imho - grille/HLs anyway) into the 427 concept and production Fusion -
    and now is appearing on more and more Fords.

    Almost getting a sense of multiple concurrent musical themes - like a movie soundtrack? Where one character's theme is temporarily replaced by another character's...
    ...only to re-emerge later when you least suspect it.
    Seeing the Rotary Taurus makes realize that all during those NewEdge years, there was another school of thought 'off-stage', that's just recently come back into the spotlight.
    &
    Makes me wonder what the fanfare about 'Kinetic' is (temporarily) drowning-out...

    Thanks once again, Mr. Nesbitt, for broadening our perspective!!!
    Last edited by 2b2; 08-15-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: just spelling

  8. #7
    Ford Falcon Ute SobeSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sobe, FL
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    2b2, I think you just found the "Missing Link"



    Quote Originally Posted by 2b2
    I *love* these peeks into Ford's designs I never saw or heard of before.
    Then you are in for a REAL treat!!! Just stay tuned . . .

  9. #8
    Ford Kuga Mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In Front of my Computer
    Posts
    1,698
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
    2b2, I think you just found the "Missing Link"




    Then you are in for a REAL treat!!! Just stay tuned . . .
    Which concept is that?

  10. #9
    Ford Falcon Ute SobeSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sobe, FL
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
    Which concept is that?
    The Ford Prodigy was Ford's PNGV hybrid-electric concept for 2000. A low emission concept car intended to demonstrate the benefits of a hybrid power-train combined with advanced materials to achieve low fuel consumption in a big car.

  11. #10
    Design Mahārāja Dick Nesbitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Vintage Design: Taurus by Nesbitt

    Quote Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
    The 1987 Rotary Taurus
    by
    DICK NESBITT


    The endless generosity of Dick Nesbitt allows FoMoCo News to bring you these great sketches of a design study for the 1987 Rotary Taurus.

    This was an exploration for a concept car that would signify the alliance between Mazda and Ford. The wheel design is inspired by the rotor in a rotary engine. The Rotary Taurus design illustrations were made by Dick Nesbitt in his capacity of consultant automotive designer to the Rochester, New York Auto Show in 1987 to help promote Ford's new design direction

    Enjoy this bit of recent history.

    --These all-wheel-drive concept illustration proposals were created to combine Ford's most important car and Mazda's most important technology with an AWD "tall car" configuration for a high-visibility driver/passenger "command view" designed to appeal to potential truck/van intenders............
    --Dick Nesbitt
    Last edited by Dick Nesbitt; 09-04-2007 at 09:16 PM.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. Vintage Design: Nesbitt on Mustang II
    By SobeSVT in forum Vintage Ford Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Vintage Design: Nesbitt's Carrousel
    By SobeSVT in forum Vintage Ford Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 08:52 AM
  3. Ford Designers Series: DICK NESBITT
    By SobeSVT in forum Vintage Ford Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
  4. Nesbitt on Mustang II GT-KR and Ghia interior proposal
    By SobeSVT in forum Vintage Ford Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 05:32 AM
  5. Vintage styling question...
    By 2b2 in forum Vintage Ford Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2