Ford Inside News banner

Spyshots: 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback, Sedan and Estate

35K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
Spyshots: 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback, Sedan and Estate

The European car market has been growing for the past three months, demand in the US is better than ever, China is also growing and compact models are starting to become more popular. It's the perfect time for Ford to make one of the most dramatic model changes ever.

Going into production in about a year, the significantly revised Ford Focus family will probably get the title "New Focus" from the marketing people, and for good reason. Cosmetic changes will leave it almost unrecognizable. The Aston Martin grille seen on the larger Fusion/Mondeo and smaller Fiesta will be adopted, together with comprehansive design changes.

New engines, including updated diesels, the new 1.5-liter three cylinder Ecoboost turbo and cleaner version of the 1.0-liter EcoBoost will all be adopted and PowerShift optioned cars might switch to the newer dry dual-clutch used by the Fiesta.

More at Link
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/spyshots-2015-ford-focus-hatchback-sedan-and-estate-73451.html

#28 ·
Globally Ford Focus sales grew 20 per cent in the first half of 2013 from the same period last year.
I think it's safe to assume Focus will again be the best selling name plate for 2013, in spite of sales in USA.
If you read my post objectively you may realize that I was giving Ford accolades for their continued improvement of the Focus, and also I was specifically only speaking of recent short term US sales trends.

#29 ·
T'Cal said:
Is the US getting the estate/eagon version? I hope so. Some of us prefer a wagon over a CUV.
My guess is probably not. If the projected volume is not high enough to justify North American production, the only other option is to import it from Germany, but if they do that, it would be expensive.
just an idea
but
WHAT IF Ford decided they had more/extra production capacity for Focus-based *cars* and could free-up capacity for the Escape & (esp.) the MKC cuvlets by adding the Focus 'WAGON' to the U.S. lineup??

#30 ·
If Focus sales are down, adding the wagon could help Ford increase the utilization of the plant. People who would buy the wagon may be a different type of buyer than those buying crossovers. However, my bet is Ford will never sell or produce the Focus wagon in the U.S. again. Secondly, perhaps the Focus may end up with a 100 percent EcoBoost lineup - 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 in the ST.

#31 ·
If Focus sales are down, adding the wagon could help Ford increase the utilization of the plant. People who would buy the wagon may be a different type of buyer than those buying crossovers. However, my bet is Ford will never sell or produce the Focus wagon in the U.S. again. Secondly, perhaps the Focus may end up with a 100 percent EcoBoost lineup - 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 in the ST.
My guess is the USDM Focus might keep the 160hp 2.0 as its base engine with the 181hp 1.5 EcoBoost as an option.

#36 ·
From the image, it does look like the bulky rear lights will be smaller. Especially since what's taped off is the full rear panel and bumper. The bulky front lights are being trimmed down also, and it seems to go with the idea of cleaning up of the design inside and out.

#37 ·
I still maintain that the Focus sales are not what they should be because of a fussy center stack that turns off some first time shoppers (kudos on the Nokia comparison), but most of all becuse of the last place interior room for the segment. Many people shop this segment with an eye on economical family car; the current back seat is marginal at best and once a shopper looks elsewhere in the segment it becomes painfully obvious.:(

#39 ·
I still maintain that the Focus sales are not what they should be because of a fussy center stack that turns off some first time shoppers (kudos on the Nokia comparison), but most of all becuse of the last place interior room for the segment. Many people shop this segment with an eye on economical family car; the current back seat is marginal at best and once a shopper looks elsewhere in the segment it becomes painfully obvious.:(
I doubt many customers in this compact segment are turned away because of a fraction of an inch here and there in the back seat. And far more are drawn to it's dynamic interior, then are drawn away. Sales do not happen in a vacuum, with plenty other attractive Ford products in the same showroom, close in price. That is the reason for a slight dip in sales, not dashboards.....which is class leading btw.....

#42 ·
You stated it as though it were an indisputable fact.

Can you name one that is better? Better defined IMO as a combination of stylish, tech and feature laden and high quality.....in that price range?
All of that is going to be relative to ones personal taste. For me personally I don't care for touch screens in my car and the Focus dash is far to busy, I prefer something a little more subtle like the Fusion or MKZ. My opinion of class leading would clearly differ from yours for style and tech. All cars are feature laden these days and quality of materials is generally pretty close in that class of vehicle.

And the upgrade is much nicer as well.
I would hope so.

#44 ·
For me personally I don't care for touch screens in my car and the Focus dash is far to busy, I prefer something a little more subtle like the Fusion or MKZ. My opinion of class leading would clearly differ from yours for style and tech.
I also prefer the dashboard/IP design of the Fusion/Mondeo and MKZ. I think the updated center stack and console of the 2015 Focus is a step in the right direction for me.

The dashboard/IP design of the new Mazda 3 also looks nice to me, kind of BMW-like.
The weakest part might be the audio controls/ screen on top of the dash, they look like something that retracts, but its fixed in place. Some might not like it, but overall it looks clean.
Lower trim models...

Higher trim models...

#48 ·
^

Not sure I would criticize an entire interior or dashboard, based on some similarity to buttons on a cell phone
I'm just talking about the stereo/head unit for models without the Sony/ MyFord Touch system.

This is one of the reasons I like the one on the spy photos. They're finally getting rid of the dated cellphone inspired stereo/head unit.

One thing I like about the styling of Mazda interiors, they don't age as fast.
This for example is the previous gen Mazda 3 which was unveiled in late 2008, still looks pretty "current" even by today's standards.

#50 ·
I also prefer the dashboard/IP design of the Fusion/Mondeo and MKZ. I think the updated center stack and console of the 2015 Focus is a step in the right direction for me.

The dashboard/IP design of the new Mazda 3 also looks nice to me, kind of BMW-like.
The weakest part might be the audio controls/ screen on top of the dash, they look like something that retracts, but its fixed in place. Some might not like it, but overall it looks clean.
Lower trim models...

Higher trim models...
It has more of an organic feel to it while the Focus is far more mechanical, transformer like in it's dash style. It's like going to someones home, some have damn near every space filled with something or other while the next person is more restrained and prefers the calm of a more subdued atmosphere. With cars it's a tough battle finding a way to give the busy body enough without turning off those who prefer a more subtle style.

To me the new Mazda says premium while the Focus has a more boy racer look. Then again I tend to like the more restrained, natural lines in a vehicle.

Newsflash,

Focus is actually offered without touchscreen.....

And I hear there are several options for operating a touchscreen, without touching......for those that are afraid of it.
I was under the impression that MFT was standard on the upper trim levels.... and, I'm not skeered of it.

#52 ·
^

'organic?'

Really?
Organic, denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole. To me it suggests an appearance in which all parts flow together smoothly without harsh transitions as opposed to a mechanical appearance which is more angular, or jagged.

I have another term, how about conventional.
Or traditional.
Or out of sorts for the dynamic youth demographic typical of that segment.
An organic design isn't by definition conventional or traditional.

Well, we know which one most prefer anyway.
Is this another one of those opinions stated as indisputable fact?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.